The 280PS Thread

58 minutes ago, KosyP said:

Have you had yours remapped?

Yes. Its stage 3,  523hp.

I've got the parts for the next stage up, and am just waiting for the garage to call me in to have it done.

Such an underrated motor, and a far cry from the things we used to laugh at in the 70's & 80's.

• Love it! 1

Very interested in getting mine done. Going down the rabbit hole of threads and options. Don’t want to to do any supporting mods, with the exception of a potential DSG map to compliment it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigeater said:

I've got the parts for the next stage up, and am just waiting for the garage to call me in to have it done.

Such an underrated motor, and a far cry from the things we used to laugh at in the 70's & 80's.

Wow! That’s going to shift. I assume you’ve mapped the DSG to cope with the torque?

Yes they are amazing cars. The combination of build quality, space, comfort, kit and performance is unbeatable for anywhere near the money. I’m guessing you would need to go to an S6 to tick most of that off (albeit with greater stock performance) but I wouldn’t swap the stealthy good looks of this for one. 

I’ve always been car daft, had various performance cars and been fortunate to drive all variety of things - there isn’t really a car that’s making me jealous right now or ticks the boxes that this does for me.

2 minutes ago, KosyP said:

Wow! That’s going to shift. I assume you’ve mapped the DSG to cope with the torque?

Yes they are amazing cars. The combination of build quality, space, comfort, kit and performance is unbeatable for anywhere near the money. I’m guessing you would need to go to an S6 to tick most of that off (albeit with greater stock performance) but I wouldn’t swap the stealthy good looks of this for one. 

I’ve always been car daft, had various performance cars and been fortunate to drive all variety of things - there isn’t really a car that’s making me jealous right now or ticks the boxes that this does for me.

Yes, DSG is TVS stage 3.

Ive always been interested in modding my cars too, and this one was the only sensible thing in budget that could pull a caravan too.

I still get 21mpg with the van on the back, and i can live with that. I can still get high 30's to the gallon, if i drive like the grandad.....that i am.

The kids love it and i see no reason whatsoever to change it. If it breaks, fix it and carry on.

• Like 4

Perfect have your cake and eat it car!

Yep, my kids love it too. Son for the performance, Golf R underpinnings and rarity. Daughter for the heated seats, LED pack and surround sound movies! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bigeater said:

YAWN!!!!  🤪  Slow a55 ! 😆

Edited by Awesam
  • Cheeky 1

23 minutes ago, KosyP said:

Just over £1k for stage 1 ecu and tcu package. Includes health check and rolling road run. Seems fair.

I think I paid around £599 for a Revo stage 1 ECU remap & health check back in 2020. No DSG map or rolling road though. Looks like the prices have increased a bit over the last few years.

• Like 1

On 23/02/2024 at 23:01, KosyP said:

Just over £1k for stage 1 ecu and tcu package. Includes health check and rolling road run. Seems fair.

I think it would better off going to Ecotune in Glasgow or DH Automotive in Falkirk rather than getting Racing Line/Revo OEM generic software.

For Stage 2/3 there are only a handful of tuner that you can trust to do it right

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Awesam said:

I think it would better off going to Ecotune in Glasgow or DH Automotive in Falkirk rather than getting Racing Line/Revo OEM generic software.

For Stage 2/3 there are only a handful of tuner that you can trust to do it right

Thanks. The quote is from DH Automotive. They were very professional and got back to me the same day. It seems to be Racingline software that they use.

I also contacted ecotune but not heard back yet.

From first impressions and what I read online, I’ll be going to DH.

1 hour ago, KosyP said:

Thanks. The quote is from DH Automotive. They were very professional and got back to me the same day. It seems to be Racingline software that they use.

I also contacted ecotune but not heard back yet.

From first impressions and what I read online, I’ll be going to DH.

You might want to check out insurance companies before having it mapped. I didn't & found that I needed to find another company cos my original insurance company would not accept a modified car.

Up to a 25-28% increase in power over the stock engine is accepted by some insurance companies but anything more than that & it starts to get more difficult to find a company who'll cover the car, also more expensive.

Currently I have a joint 2 car policy with LV who accepted my modified 280 (+80bhp) &, like many others, increased their premiums by around 40% last year.

• Like 1

My insurance through Sterling, which is part of Adrian Knott, more than doubled in June 23. it increased from £267 to £590. Thought s0d that so I got it to £390 through Chris Knott, a Briskoda sponsor, so a mere 32% increase. Yep ripped-off in the U.K. once again. 

• Groan 1

What oil do you guys use ? Need to change it, but I can't find anything in the manual, other than it has to be vw507.00 or vw502.00, and only on gsf or ecp it gives you the possibility to chose between 5w30, 5w40, 0w30 or 0w40.

It's a 66plate 280

Edited by LeGrumpy

@LeGrumpy  re your oils.   VW 502 is not long life 5w 40 FS.  So if doing fixed oil services.  Your choice if you want.    It is VW 504 00 / 507 00.  Long life.  507 must be the spec for TDI,s fixed or Variable.    The VW 504 /507 you use might well be 0w 30 FS III.  5w 30 FS III or even 0W 40 FS III.        Later for WLTP is when vw went 0w 20 FS IV, VW508 00/ 509 00.  GPF,s were fitted a couple of years after your car was built.  

Edited by Rooted
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rooted said:

@LeGrumpy  re your oils.   VW 502 is not long life 5w 40 FS.  So if doing fixed oil services.  Your choice if you want.    It is VW 504 00 / 507 00.  Long life.  507 must be the spec for TDI,s fixed or Variable.    The VW 504 /507 you use might well be 0w 30 FS III.  5w 30 FS III or even 0W 40 FS III.        Later for WLTP is when vw went 0w 20 FS IV, VW508 00/ 509 00.  GPF,s were fitted a couple of years after your car was built.  

Thank you.

In the end I went for Millers EE performance C3 5W30 fully synthetic. 

Edited by LeGrumpy

• 1 month later...

I add myself also here ... car is brilliant. Made a round-trip of south east europe of 3200km only two days after getting the car delivered and I actually started learning the ropes as I went 🙂

And fairly economical as well, returned an average of 12/13 km/lt (say, 7 to 8 l/100km), considering not exactly economy run speeds ...

There is still loads more to go .. but so far all good.

I was shocked and horrified to learn it had its first 'service' done at 30K km ... modern engines oh well.

I booked it for a check regardless, while I need to select  a 'new' VCDS from Gendan, mine which I got from them 10 years ago became outdated (like most things, alas, I am still struggling without CDs 🤪).

Will continue reading and reading ....

• Like 4