The 280PS Thread

1 minute ago, Chas51 said:

Cheers @boydeee  What are those alloys?  I was looking at some Dezents on MyTyres but something cheaper is preferable at the moment! 

They're Audi OE winter wheels. They were on Ebay last year as the tyres were a couple of years old and they were ex Audi stock so the price was excellent. 

They were from this seller: https://ebay.co.uk/usr/partsdepot_uk

They may have other options available at the moment so maybe have a check there. I had to fit spigot rings as the centre bore was too large but I bought some alloy ones and they're snug as a bug. 

Thanks for the link, not a huge amount there at the moment.  I’d like something in black.  Tempted by the R8 wheels but I’m not sure the rears would fit and the rubber is nearly 8 years old 😮

I just had a look on there too. You're right, there's not a great deal on there. I just checked ebay for wheel resellers and all the usual tyre and wheel websites. I stumbled across the ones pictured above and snapped them up! 

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted 👍

23 hours ago, Chas51 said:

Cheers @boydeee  What are those alloys?  I was looking at some Dezents on MyTyres but something cheaper is preferable at the moment! 

You could go for a set of 18s and then when the p7 gets worn, just use the 18 year round. Summer 18s are cheaper by around 50 each compared to the 19s. It'll pay itself back soon enough providing you are gonna do the miles 

Has anyone fitted 18x8s to their 280s? I'm looking to improve the ride with a higher profile, more robust tyre 235/45x18 vs current 235/40x19 and I'm also not a fan of the design of the factory wheels. 

I'm finding the 19s the car came with to be quite jiggly and I've already had to replace one tyre after hitting a pothole and splitting the sidewall. 

The car comes with the 340mm front discs and I expect 18s will clear the callipers ok.

I like the Racingline Cup Edition wheels in 18x8 size; has anyone got experience fitting these? I've emailed Racingline re fit but haven't heard back. 

Thanks in advance for advice.  

• Administrators

Having just escaped serious incident, I aquaplaned the other week, quite unexpectedly and on an off camber road so I was goosed... sad face.

It was only in retrospect, and analysis,  I figured it out... I've been using winter tyres for the last 5+ years, even in summer. The summer bridgestones  after 10k miles, so about 6mm just didn't do it and I'd not moderated to them with my right foot... own fault, not blaming them, it's me... but it reminds me how dam useful these tyres are in inclement conditions.

So some all weather or winters are in order. I'm just going to love renewals with 'modified' wheels. So I might bite the bullet and grab some superskoda 18's. Put the good wheels in the shed for special days, or a very expensive seat.

17's will fit, but very tight by all accounts.

18's on 235 45 R19 is what I as looking at : https://tiresize.com/calculator/ : 4 Conti TS 850P for £572

Wheel wise, from another link, I thought these would work.. https://zubehoer.skoda-auto.de/details/3V0071498C HA7 

Am I right I need ET44 in 18's?

I don't know, going back to the server admin ;)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, unclerichy said:

Car too much for ya? Should have gone for a Citigo 😂

FWIW I'm happy with my Vredstein Quatrac all-season tyres.

Yes! I think it is. 🥶I've driven that road as quickly, if not more,  and in worse conditions in the citigo. I guess I couldn't go from 40 to 60 in a moment in the citigo ;) That may of had something to do with it too... once I'm past blaming myself. 

If I stick on the 19's I'll go to the Quatrac's. Part of the desire to go back to the superb and 4x4 was a few lakes/scottish winter weekend jaunts, maybe even down tho the alps given I'm tied to a 4g dongle... I should of got the camper van 🧘‍♂️ 

Edited by ColinD

3 hours ago, ColinD said:

Having just escaped serious incident, I aquaplaned the other week, quite unexpectedly and on an off camber road so I was goosed... sad face.

It was only in retrospect, and analysis,  I figured it out... I've been using winter tyres for the last 5+ years, even in summer. The summer bridgestones  after 10k miles, so about 6mm just didn't do it and I'd not moderated to them with my right foot... own fault, not blaming them, it's me... but it reminds me how dam useful these tyres are in inclement conditions.

So some all weather or winters are in order. I'm just going to love renewals with 'modified' wheels. So I might bite the bullet and grab some superskoda 18's. Put the good wheels in the shed for special days, or a very expensive seat.

17's will fit, but very tight by all accounts.

18's on 235 45 R19 is what I as looking at : https://tiresize.com/calculator/ : 4 Conti TS 850P for £572

Wheel wise, from another link, I thought these would work.. https://zubehoer.skoda-auto.de/details/3V0071498C HA7 

Am I right I need ET44 in 18's?

I don't know, going back to the server admin ;)

According to what I checked yes ET44 in 18inch. They will clear calipers since the SE-L 280 come stock with 18inchers. 

Changing to 18 all round is a consideration for me since tyres are cheaper with more options . 

If I do that I'll go with a lightweight wheel, maybe team dynamics wheels at around 10kg per wheel. Stock Vega is 14kg if not mistaken. 

• Thanks 1

I've been running a set of Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 215/55 R17 98V XL on these rims http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/Wheels/MATTERHORN-17´-GLOSSY-BLACK-SILVER-original-Skoda-Autoas-4pcs-set-of-rims for the last two winters.

No problem with clearance and you get Skoda logos in the centre which makes them look like they belong.

10 hours ago, TiVoJohn said:

I've been running a set of Goodyear UltraGrip Performance GEN-1 215/55 R17 98V XL on these rims http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/Wheels/MATTERHORN-17´-GLOSSY-BLACK-SILVER-original-Skoda-Autoas-4pcs-set-of-rims for the last two winters.

No problem with clearance and you get Skoda logos in the centre which makes them look like they belong.

cheers for that, official skoda would be nice but at that price unless it’s coming with rubber it ain’t happening! 

Splashed out for a set of 17" winter tyres from mrwinterwheels. Wrapped in Goodyear ultragrips. Played around with lots of options but once delivery and fitting was factored in the differences were minimal. ( unless you went for 'Goodride' or similar!)

Now to try to tell the insurers they are alloys but cheap so don't make it more attractive. 

If you assume you'll always be using tyres then if they stop me kerbing the zenith wheels or sliding into someone's rear over the next 5 years ive 'won' . even without considering injury to myself or anyone else.  

10 hours ago, Chazzy said:

Splashed out for a set of 17" winter tyres from mrwinterwheels. Wrapped in Goodyear ultragrips. Played around with lots of options but once delivery and fitting was factored in the differences were minimal. ( unless you went for 'Goodride' or similar!)

Now to try to tell the insurers they are alloys but cheap so don't make it more attractive. 

If you assume you'll always be using tyres then if they stop me kerbing the zenith wheels or sliding into someone's rear over the next 5 years ive 'won' . even without considering injury to myself or anyone else.  

I enjoy this game every year with my insurer...."I've put smaller alloys and winter tyres on"

"You've done what? Never heard of that before!"

Then they speak to their supervisor and an underwriter and it's done. No charge. 

Same story every year though! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, boydeee said:

I enjoy this game every year with my insurer...."I've put smaller alloys and winter tyres on"

"You've done what? Never heard of that before!"

Then they speak to their supervisor and an underwriter and it's done. No charge. 

Same story every year though! 

One year I went through the same palaver and the guy on the phone actually tried to charge me an 'admin fee' to make a note of it on my policy.  😡

It didn't happen as I challenged it but I bet they make a fair bit of money from trying it on.  Twunts! 

44 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

What insurers are you with @boydeeeand @penguin17

I am considering a move to 18 and cross climates so will make a call and see what mine would do. 

This was with More Than. They were fine with the swap the time before and the time after. It was just this one occasion where the agent was clueless or being a sneaky fecker. 

There is a list British insurers who don’t need to be informed when swapping seasonal tyres but when they are mounted to alloys I think it’s always best to check as it could be classed as a cosmetic/performance upgrade or whatever it’s called to ‘justify’ them asking for more money. 

• Thanks 1

@Chas51 if you’re looking at buying from mytyres then look on their eBay outlet. They offer multi buy discounts, which they don’t on their main site. They are also one of the sellers included in eBays usual, end of month 15-20% discount codes which is used in conjunction with the multi buy discount. 

I’ve ordered from them 3 times now. No issues and massive savings. 

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

@Chas51 if you’re looking at buying from mytyres then look on their eBay outlet. They offer multi buy discounts, which they don’t on their main site. They are also one of the sellers included in eBays usual, end of month 15-20% discount codes which is used in conjunction with the multi buy discount. 

I’ve ordered from them 3 times now. No issues and massive savings. 

Cheers for that, I did see the shop but on first glance didn’t see much difference to their shop.  Will have a look into the discounts.  Did you buy wheels and tyres at the same time and did that come fitted?

Just now, Chas51 said:

Cheers for that, I did see the shop but on first glance didn’t see much difference to their shop.  Will have a look into the discounts.  Did you buy wheels and tyres at the same time and did that come fitted?

I was initially looking at steelies and Hankook iCept winters for my wifes Fabia 3 but when I came to order the price of each wheel/tyre went up by ~£100 and then sods law the week after I ordered an alternative it went back down.  IIRC they do mount and balance the tyres if bought as a wheel/tyre package.  

I ended up getting 4x GY Vector 4 Seasons from them and saved £160 over the best prices I could find from Camskill, Opeoneo and such.  Minus £40 for a local fitter and that's still £120 saving. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KeteCantek said:

What insurers are you with @boydeeeand @penguin17

I am considering a move to 18 and cross climates so will make a call and see what mine would do. 

I've been with Aviva for a few years now. Once I've explained it all, it just gets added as a note on the file for both cars. A quick call once winter is over and the note is removed 👍

3 hours ago, penguin17 said:

One year I went through the same palaver and the guy on the phone actually tried to charge me an 'admin fee' to make a note of it on my policy.  😡

It didn't happen as I challenged it but I bet they make a fair bit of money from trying it on.  Twunts! 

Cheeky monkeys! 😡

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2019 at 07:05, penguin17 said:

To answer my own question and for reference to other 280 owners: 

The filter I removed from my car was indeed a Mann filter, it had an VW part no but also had the Mann product code too, 'C 30 005'.  This is the  direct replacement: 

https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER Katalog Europa/Vehicles/CARS %2B TRANSPORTERS/SKODA/Superb III (3V)/2.0 TSI CJXA (T00000000332517)/Air Filter/C 30 005 

I got mine from EuroCarParts with one of their 55% off codes, making it £12.01 (the 1p is important!), incl delivery. 

VW use other filter brands too from what I understand. 

Hi @penguin17, resurrecting this whilst ECP have a sale on!   

Are you able to see if ECP still sell this / let me know the the ECP product code that you ordered?   I checked the Mann site and the 'C 30 005' matches for the 272ps, however:

- no results on ECP using my reg no

- 2 results using make/model/engine/fule filters:

Product Code: 502440939

Product Code: 502441989

Tried live chat but they said no-go and get in contact with parts request department.  I am suspecting one of the items listed above is in fact what I'm looking for..

Cheers

38 minutes ago, Chas51 said:

Hi @penguin17, resurrecting this whilst ECP have a sale on!   

Are you able to see if ECP still sell this / let me know the the ECP product code that you ordered?   I checked the Mann site and the 'C 30 005' matches for the 272ps, however:

- no results on ECP using my reg no

- 2 results using make/model/engine/fule filters:

Product Code: 502440939

Product Code: 502441989

Tried live chat but they said no-go and get in contact with parts request department.  I am suspecting one of the items listed above is in fact what I'm looking for..

Cheers

This is my invoice from ECP, which shows I ordered the second one you've quoted.   Hope this helps. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 13.20.49.png

https://www.eurocarparts.com/search/502441989

Edited by penguin17

Hello, all. 

I'll be picking up my March 19 ex-Skoda UK (K plate) DSG Superb on Saturday - i can't wait! The only negative is that it's the 272 version. What I'm wondering is how, despite the slight power loss, does it manage to be a fraction quicker (over 0-60) than the 280? Could it be the newer gearbox, perhaps? If so, any other advantages to the new 7-speed DSG? 

27 minutes ago, Aciduzzo said:

Hello, all. 

I'll be picking up my March 19 ex-Skoda UK (K plate) DSG Superb on Saturday - i can't wait! The only negative is that it's the 272 version. What I'm wondering is how, despite the slight power loss, does it manage to be a fraction quicker (over 0-60) than the 280? Could it be the newer gearbox, perhaps? If so, any other advantages to the new 7-speed DSG? 

Most likely the newer gearbox's ratios. 

I can't compare to the six speed box, but, others have said that the extra gear helps it sit at slightly lower rpm eg. at 70mph. 

Enjoy it when it comes. She's a beast!

• Like 1