Clarkson et al sign for Amazon

Aspman

Why would you do this when nearly all of them are freely available on YouTube?? (and without so many adverts). About the only program my daughter wants that I cant get on YT is Ni Hao Ki Lan.

I never actually thought about YouTube. But then again, I was partly inspired to pick it up due to the Prime Delivery service, since I use Amazon a lot. So maybe there was some Dad logic in there. 

"Hmm, I really want cheap delivery. But I can't justify the price. Oh I'm sure my daughter would like to watch the movies and TV shows on there too. I'll get it for her..."

S'pose some people will sign up because of them, but for me I guess I'll just have to wait for the repeats on Dave :)

The amazon shows won't find their way to Dave.

As for youtube, Amazon will be all over it as they are with p2p and get them taken down PDQ

I cancelled my Amazon subs as I didn't think their movie choice was that great <SNIP>

Same here, they seem to have a VERY limited choice:(

ps - Jenson and Chris Evans anyone?

Edited by vxh26

Prime membership is about 60million.

They'd probably get more viewers than with the BBC.

It might even end up back on the Beeb. Amazon took on Ripper Street after the Beeb cancelled it now I notice the Beeb advertising it as a new series.

I wonder how much Amazon had to pay them to do a show on Prime as i can imagine other tv channels wanting them.

I read something somewhere about how their contracts meant they couldn't produce another motoring show together on a rival tv channel until 2017?

Yep, 2yr ban on them going to another UK broadcaster (i.e. one based in the UK).

So from what I could see, it was either going to be Amazon or Netflix.

• Like 1

Yep, 2yr ban on them going to another UK broadcaster (i.e. one based in the UK).

So from what I could see, it was either going to be Amazon or Netflix.

I didn't even realise Amazon were in the running tbh. I thought it would of been Netflix. Just read today that Amazon paid $250 million for the trio over 3 years!

Really looking forward to the show. Judging by what Andy Wilman said it sounds like they've got free reign to be as inappropriate and offensive as they like, which I'm personally looking quite forward to! :p

I know some people think Clarkson crosses the line but I don't think he goes far enough. Got no problem with a bit of offensive humor. Certainly nothing as bad as me and my mates throw at eachother.

"Wilman told the Radio Times the team would begin working on the new series as soon as they return from their summer holidays.

He said they agreed a deal with Amazon because "they'll give us the freedom to make the programme we want...there's a budget to produce programmes of the quality we want and this is the future".

Wilman added the format of the new show would contain "themes people will be familiar with".

"I can't tell you how good it feels to get the chance to produce something from scratch," he said. "We're all really excited. No one telling us what we can and can't do, just us hopefully producing great programmes. It feels really liberating."

• 1 month later...

Rumour has it that a Law firm closely associated with Mr Clonkson has registered the trademark 'Gear Knobs'. So speculation has begun that this might be the clever new name for their Top Gear type show on Amazon.

Makes sense to me :D

• Like 1

Judging by how much Amazon has reportedly paid for Jezza there's only one way the subscription cost is going to go,and that's up

As we live in such a technologically advanced age it won't be long before the guy in the pub has it on a dvd r though for a quid!

Like anything else it'll probably be crap for the first series.

I'm not expecting much from Chris Evans' first stab at a 'Nu-Top Gear'. Series two is where it'll matter.

I noted Jenson Button is quitting F1. Just in time to be the new track tester for TG maybe. I guess "The Stig" is gone and JB will be closer to Jason Plato's job on 5th Gear.

I could see Button playing a comic foil to the guys on TG. Raising and rolling his eyes to the sky at regular intervals. Plus when they want to set a lap time the boys can say "press the starter Button".  Or if he crashed "a Button of mass destruction".

By series 4 Evans contract will be up for renewal and Clonkson can come back as the Amazon show will be a financial disaster and the BBC will welcome the proper TG boys home with open arms.

There's nothing new in television