Have I made a mistake?

Back in February after test driving the VRS and 184 scout decided to go for the scout. Why?  4 wheel drive , same engine as (tdi) VRS and lower monthly payments.

Dropped in to the dealer ship today to sort out the paper work and on the forecourt was a gorgeous black VRS – have I made a mistake??

Rob

No the tdi vRS is no sports car , you've made the right choice , same engine get it mapped and with 4 wheel drive you can put power down and no wheel spin

The vrs is a nice looking car....Depends on your personal taste and needs I guess. I'd have the vrs over the scout but it's a personal choice.

Vrs too, main reason why I went for vrs over the standard octavia was that it just looks too plain. (scout is better but I would still have the sportier car)

Ok thanks guys, at the time felt the VRS was a ‘looker’ but wasn’t that fast. The scout very under stated however felt faster than the VRS – subjective I know.

Having seen the VRS today just feel that I’ve made the sensible choice, rather than the right choice, however, only  2 years contract hire  J or L

Ok Guys, thanks, the thinking behind the scout is that it’s the ideal company car.

Turn up in a ‘fancy’ car often turns off customers.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by Rob56
  • Like 1

First time you beat a VRS away from the lights on a wet day you'll know you made the right choice.

Although he might not be 17 and want to accelerate from the lights and look a ****

• Like 1

Interesting Rob, I really fancied a vrs and bought a scout 184dsg! hope to get it sometime this week.

Primarily I couldn't wait 4 months for a vrs as we need a car now, plus we've just bought a caravan so I reckoned the scout would be a better towcar with the raised height and 4x4. I'm sure i'll be delighted with it especially coming from a citigo!

The one annoying point is the spec on these cars, I think they should be based on the elegance not the se, especially for the money I think a few things are missing.

Can't wait for a bit of go under the right foot again!  :evil:

Thanks Guys, 56 years young and still a boy racer!

Rob

In which case you should have got the VrS tsi :)

My pre-decimalisations tuppence worth though is that tdi wise there will be more times you will appreciate the 4wd & extra ground clearance than the loss of bend taking ability.

Looks are purely personal and subjective but I like the look of both.

Hi Rob56, think this is too complex an issue for yes and no. You have the scout at cheaper monthlies, so financially you haven't made a mistake. If you prefer the aggressive styling of the VRS over the more "conservative" Scout styling and every time you come back to your Scout, wish it looked edgier. Then yes you've made a mistake. Planning to tow stuff, no mistake. Live in an area prone to heavy snowfall, no mistake. Neither of the above but "still a boy racer", probably made a mistake as you'll also want your car to look quick too. As an aside, totally agree with big Davy on where the specs are based. Given the list prices, both should be Elegance spec and then some. For me the exterior styling and interior individuality, seats, black headlining, meant the VRS was the one for me. Hopefully I'll pick it up this coming week. Either way I hope you don't think you've made a mistake as both cars are great and worthy of being a first choice.

We originally walked into dealers to look at VRS. They had one at a show. Sat in it and thought NICE. Sat in one a few year sago and it was hard and bad. So I thought a Skoda will always be a NO. Now they had good seats, it was a possibility.

We test drove loads of 4x4's Sate FE, Suzuki, Mazda cx5. Nissan, outlanders. All 4x4, due to space for dogs. I told wife to try an estate, hence the walk into Skoda showroom.

She noticed a Scout and liked it. Seats were quite good. Trim was nice. Sat nav etc. Had a test drive and it was good. Can I point out at this point it was a 150 bhp modal and at no point was it mentioned they did a more powerful model. We likes the drive. Went back and asked if they had a vrs manual in to test. Only had auto. Wife didn't want to drive or test an auto. We went out in it to compare power. I drove. :clap: yes the increase in power was ace. We then purchased a vrs tdi.

NOW if he told us they did a Scout with the same power, it could have been a different story.

Anyway. The seat hugged me and it looks 100% better. Just hope the ride isn't too hard

Both care are good.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHAME THEY DONT MAKE A VRS 4X4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Guys, thanks, the thinking behind the scout is that it’s the ideal company car.

Turn up in a ‘fancy’ car often turns off customers.

Cheers

Rob

Also it will attract less "attention" and is more sleeper. Also when you can keep up with the VSR version of yours & go faster in the wet & around corners because of 4wd then you will NOT feel short changed!!

DO not underestimate the benefits of the 4wd system...........really helps on the back roads & in winter, so long as you have winter or all season tyres on you will be fine!