Better than I thought

I know diesel is getting cheaper but even so, I was really pleased to see that 40 MPG+ is effortless in the TSI even after a spirited and fun push with a BMW X5 M 5.0D. This is Farnborough to Lincoln today with the usual standing traffic or slowing down to ogle the burnt out lorries southbound near Grantham on the A1, average speed cameras etc. It is definitely more economical than my old MkII VRS.

I get 30-40 in eco mode on busy London roads and approx 50mpg on the motorways. Had my car 2 months now.

There is a debate whether eco mode truly helps get the mpg up. I'm happy with it... Attempting to drive eco style (which I'm used to from driving my father's Prius) and working with the slow throttle response makes me a much calmer driver.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

I have DSG by the way. Not sure if that helps the MPG. Certainly helps me to drive more calmly (no more continuous gear changing in London traffic!!)

Edited by RB79

In my dsg tsi vrs I get approx 36mpg on shortish journeys and low 40's on longer journeys. I have had 47mpg on one trip. You do have to take it easy to get those sort of figures though. I've done around 3k miles so I guess it should get a little better.

Far more fun sticking it in sport/paddles and giving it large though!!!

Ave 25 mpg so fare. Only had it a few days though. Do you run it in eco mode?

No, don't waste of time. Slow throttle response, you may as well drive economically using good anticipation to brake and accelerate efficiently on A roads and cruise at 70 true speed and you will still see good figures and keep up with most traffic.

Guys, with all respect, but don't You think that You are thowing out strange figures?

Doesn't matter that I was leaning towards TDI from the beginning, I also checked and test drove TSI before buying vRS TDI (BTW Croatian taxes made my decision more easier, due to a stupidity TSI is costing in basic price ~2500EUR MORE THAN TDI in Croatia). TSI gives more, but requires more also.

A guy that I know runs vRS TSI in Zagreb and ~25mpg makes him happy. I wouldn't dare to compare Zagreb to London neither on size nor traffic in rush hour.

Additionally, I've hardly driven any petrol engine in town under 35mpg, including damn eco-super-truper 1.0L 3-cyl engines. No matter how hard I tried. Frequent start and stop in traffic just requires juice from tank...

To compare, from just sold Audi 2.5l 163hp V6 TDI I could squeeze out 56mpg chasing it out moderately on open road, and calm drive in urban area. No matter how hard I pushed, I couldn't get it under 30mpg literally leaving rubber trails behind me. BUT with air conditioning in traffic jam, it could easily hit 25mpg. Engines are not comparable, but You'll get the point.

I expect to hit 40mpg in traffic with diesel, therefore thoose figures for TSI just don't make sense to me.

RG79 that's the vRS TSi right? If so I'm going be happy with that :)

Nope... 1.4 TSI

Also 30mpg is more common on more congested roads 40 is where I get clearer roads and green lights.

I do like how the car keeps track of average consumption on Long term basis as well as since refuelling and since start (of journey).

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

You can see my average consumption in my signature (45 mpg = 6.3 l/100)

Running at a constant and GPS true 110 kph (~70 mph) I get 5.7 l/100 (50 mpg). Obviously factors like head, tail or cross winds will affect the figures.

Urban driving in light traffic can offer good potential for improved consumption.

I would define light traffic where you can get across traffic lights in one cycle.

Tonight I did a 13 kilometre trip from a cold start, caught the red light on 8 of the 11 traffic lights I encountered on the 60 and 80 kph speed limited roads and still achieved 4.6 l/100 (61 mpg). By the time I reversed into the garage it was 4.7 l/100 though

For reference the best I managed in my old 1.9pd Mk2 for the same trip was 3.7 l/100 (76 mpg) although I cannot remember the number of red lights :)

I find the real killer good fuel consumption are really short journeys of say > 4km from cold. Unfortunately I do far too many of those running elderly parents-in-laws around

Edited by Gerrycan

I've not found getting 40+ effortless in mine but have had a best of 41.9mpg on one trip , 1500 miles on the continent averaged about 38mpg fill to fill on mine

When cruising eco mode does make it more relaxed and smoother dropping out of gear when decelerating, ideal if on cruise control but not convinced it actually makes much difference to the mpg

I've not found getting 40+ effortless in mine but have had a best of 41.9mpg on one trip , 1500 miles on the continent averaged about 38mpg fill to fill on mine

When cruising eco mode does make it more relaxed and smoother dropping out of gear when decelerating, ideal if on cruise control but not convinced it actually makes much difference to the mpg

My last paragraph should have said "killer OF good fuel consumption", it makes more sense then.

Regarding your vRS tsi consumption then I'm guessing your ~42mpg figures would be "adhering reasonably closely" to the UK 70 mph limits and for that capacity engine it is not bad at all. Certainly when I was there (UK) recently some people seem to drive as though the speed limits are not policed at all.

Like all cars the 1.4 tsi consumption increases with speed and at 130kph (French payage speed limit?) would likely be using just over 7 l/100 (40 mpg).

I suspect that at higher speeds the vRS actually has better fuel consumption than the 1.4tsi. Of course both would be eclipsed by diesel especially at higher speed cruising.

Australian road speed limits are very highly policed, even in remote areas the local police will be encourage to raise a few hundred dollars revenue. I don't think the potential cost of speeding is worth it here and why the 1.4tsi provides me with all the performance I need for our environment (and gives better economy)

Worth noting that the Northern Territories once had their 'major' highway with no speed limits, the local government imposed a 130kph limit and the death toll increased quite dramatically (although not widely advertised). About a year ago they allowed a portion of highway to be unrestricted again and the death rate dropped immediately on that sector to nil. Following this success other sectors in the NT are now also being unrestricted. Other Australian states have shown no indication they are likely to follow this example.

Interesting isn't it

I

My last paragraph should have said "killer OF good fuel consumption", it makes more sense then.

Regarding your vRS tsi consumption then I'm guessing your ~42mpg figures would be "adhering reasonably closely" to the UK 70 mph limits and for that capacity engine it is not bad at all. Certainly when I was there (UK) recently some people seem to drive as though the speed limits are not policed at all.

No cruising at 75-80mph as per the speed limits on the continent, I cant get good economy in the UK , I consistently get my best mpg on the quieter roads especially the toll roads in France where the lane discipline tends to be much better also

The weather makes a big difference. I did a 200 mile journey of fast A roads and 50% motorways where I cruised at 75 or 80 and returned a very good 43 ish mpg recently, the temp was 26/27C. Can't do that normally

Like all cars the 1.4 tsi consumption increases with speed and at 130kph (French payage speed limit?) would likely be using just over 7 l/100 (40 mpg).

I suspect that at higher speeds the vRS actually has better fuel consumption than the 1.4tsi. Of course both would be eclipsed by diesel especially at higher speed cruising.

Australian road speed limits are very highly policed, even in remote areas the local police will be encourage to raise a few hundred dollars revenue. I don't think the potential cost of speeding is worth it here and why the 1.4tsi provides me with all the performance I need for our environment (and gives better economy)

Worth noting that the Northern Territories once had their 'major' highway with no speed limits, the local government imposed a 130kph limit and the death toll increased quite dramatically (although not widely advertised). About a year ago they allowed a portion of highway to be unrestricted again and the death rate dropped immediately on that sector to nil. Following this success other sectors in the NT are now also being unrestricted. Other Australian states have shown no indication they are likely to follow this example.

Interesting isn't it

My cousin lives in your city. Rubbish for speeding. He gets in the hills where he opens it up. The reason deaths reduce is because you can concentrate on the road, instead of looking for police etc 

My cousin lives in your city. Rubbish for speeding. He gets in the hills where he opens it up. The reason deaths reduce is because you can concentrate on the road, instead of looking for police etc 

Off topic I know but some areas in the Adelaide Hills it is difficult to even achieve the rated speed limit. While there is some good fun to be had there the accident/death rate is disproportionately high for those whose ambition exceeds ability (even in organised events on closed roads).

I agree that concentrating on the road will reduce accident rates but I don't think it is because of reduced distractions from looking for police but more the driver is aware they are in an unusual environment and drive accordingly. Experiments with 'naked' streets in urban environments (no road signs or road markings) also achieve markedly reduced accident rates.

Modern cars are more like mobile entertainment/communication centres that are filled with driving distractions.

Back on topic; the Octavia (and VAG range generally) are generally as economic, or better than their similarly priced rivals, and with (my opinion)  superior vehicle characteristics.

Just a pity that over a hundred years of development of the four stroke cycle still wastes more than 70% of the fuel's energy.

I do a tank-to-tank measure (miles covered divided by fuel put in) rather than relying on the fuel computer, which is a rough guide at best.

Mine (a 1.4 TSi DSG hatch with 4k on the clock) has been averaging 45-47 on my normal commute. Did 50.01 on the last tank, which included a motorway/Heathrow run.

I don't thrash it by any means, but smooth driving, occasional use of stop-start and anticipating traffic lights where possible certainly makes a difference. I think the DSG box also makes a difference. I run it in normal mode, but might try eco to see what happens.

I do a tank-to-tank measure (miles covered divided by fuel put in) rather than relying on the fuel computer, which is a rough guide at best.

Mine (a 1.4 TSi DSG hatch with 4k on the clock) has been averaging 45-47 on my normal commute. Did 50.01 on the last tank, which included a motorway/Heathrow run.

I don't thrash it by any means, but smooth driving, occasional use of stop-start and anticipating traffic lights where possible certainly makes a difference. I think the DSG box also makes a difference. I run it in normal mode, but might try eco to see what happens.

that's better than my mk2fl diesel vrs

Someone please enlightening me, what is this fuel consumption business you all seem so concerned with ?

Don't worry about it, your right foot would not understand :)

• Like 1

Off topic I know but some areas in the Adelaide Hills it is difficult to even achieve the rated speed limit. While there is some good fun to be had there the accident/death rate is disproportionately high for those whose ambition exceeds ability (even in organised events on closed roads).

I agree that concentrating on the road will reduce accident rates but I don't think it is because of reduced distractions from looking for police but more the driver is aware they are in an unusual environment and drive accordingly. Experiments with 'naked' streets in urban environments (no road signs or road markings) also achieve markedly reduced accident rates.

Modern cars are more like mobile entertainment/communication centres that are filled with driving distractions.

Back on topic; the Octavia (and VAG range generally) are generally as economic, or better than their similarly priced rivals, and with (my opinion)  superior vehicle characteristics.

Just a pity that over a hundred years of development of the four stroke cycle still wastes more than 70% of the fuel's energy.

I agree about the " 100 years of development"