which fuel is best?

vzo25

Recently brought some bp ultimate diesel as been reading horror storys about local supermarkets fuel.

I kno bp is more expensive. But does there stuff make any diff on mpg.performance etc.

Or is it all in my head?.

Recently brought some bp ultimate diesel as been reading horror storys about local supermarkets fuel.

I kno bp is more expensive. But does there stuff make any diff on mpg.performance etc.

It's all in your head, try not to  worry about it, it's an ordinary diesel car, ordinary diesel fuel is fine for it.

Its all in your head.

I just fill up at whichever station happens to me enroute to wherever I'm working, I don't like making dedicated trips just to fill up. Up until recently it was Shell, now it's Morrisons...have I noticed a difference? Absolutely not. Apart from the price!

Wasn't there an old thread on this? I find using Shell or Esso returns better MPG. Not used supermarket fuel in years.

Then how would you know that branded fuel gives you better MPG than unbranded?

Derv is Derv, the super Dervs just have snake oil additive packs incorporated into them. With petrol there is a difference, Cetane numbers are irrelevant on a standard car since UK Derv is better quality than the manufacturers minimum spec. anyway.

I've used Shell V Power Nitro for a while and I can tell the difference if i swap to tesco's ordinary for a few tanks then move back, theres increased response on the accelerator and the car feels smoother through the rev range.

• Like 1

Without blind testing (getting someone else to fill your car up and not tell you what fuel they've put in), there's almost certain to be a driving style change to maximise whatever your preconceptions say ought to be maximised by expensive fuel.  

You may well not even be aware that you're doing it.

So all these anecdotes are a waste of time really.

• Like 1

Used Sainsburys diesel for well over a year and the car runs fine on it with a good return on mpg. It's one of the cheapest and you get nectar points.

Tried BP ultimate and Vpower and not noticed a blind bit of difference... other than feeling slightly ripped off lol

If you do plenty of motorway and A-road driving, cruise control will be the best mpg improvement you can get, not different fuel.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

personally i've not noticed a difference from one company to another on my mpg....

just don't fill up when they're filling the tanks from the tanker, stirs up all the crap from the bottom of the tank

oh and dont put petrol in the diesel - yeah..... was only 1ltr... it'll be fine... *gulp* (did seem to go alot quicker - higher octane i'd imagine from the petrol?)

Is there any additives you can put into diesel to help with the smoke and sooting? I doubt there is a its unburnt fuel but just curious.

There are plenty of fuel additives out there these all claim to clean and maintain the injectors so fuel can burn better. I personally use Millers stuff as not only maintains the injectors, it adds cetane too.

There are plenty of fuel additives out there these all claim to clean and maintain the injectors so fuel can burn better. I personally use Millers stuff as not only maintains the injectors, it adds cetane too.

Slightly off topic so apologies and by no means a dig at you Jim H in any way, but the pressure that diesel injectors work at, I can't see how they could be prone to any sort of deposit build up that a so called cleaner would get rid of.

I'll happily be shot down in flames but just a thought really! Lol

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Most of the cleaners will deposit any blockage or specs elsewhere. They don't really do anything nor does that bg44k stuff long time I checked top of pistons with lot of carbon used product as said 1k later zero difference, diesel isn't same as petrol eg octave rating those prolonging flame front and born time thus more ignition timing.

But you just said you haven't used supermarket fuel in years...

Nevermind.

That's right I haven't, but when I did it didn't return as many miles. The difference is minimal, worth the extra couple of pence at the pump? Probably not but there you go.

Sorry to OP for going slightly off-topic, but:

...., diesel isn't same as petrol eg octave rating those prolonging flame front and born time thus more ignition timing.

No, they are the opposite, but in both cases, normally the higher the number the better, so basically:

Octane = how resistant it is to going bang

Cetane = how quickly it goes bang from when its injected

High Cetane is good for diesel as it burns more thoroughly. High octane is good for petrol as its reduces pre-ignition and knocking, a smoother burn rather than a bang!

Sorry to OP for going slightly off-topic, but:

No, they are the opposite, but in both cases, normally the higher the number the better, so basically:

Octane = how resistant it is to going bang

Cetane = how quickly it goes bang from when its injected

High Cetane is good for diesel as it burns more thoroughly. High octane is good for petrol as its reduces pre-ignition and knocking, a smoother burn rather than a bang!

You're making a classic error in your reasoning Jim, you've already said that Cetane number indicates how quickly the fuel will burn, which is entirely correct.

However you then go on to say that it's good because it burns more thoroughly, which is only true if there isn't enough time for complete combustion to take place.

I maintain that there is more than sufficient time for the combustion process to complete in a standard or lightly modified engine which means that there is no discernable difference to the engine between these grades of fuel.

Unless you significantly raise the engine speed ceiling by fitting a much bigger turbo and long duration camshaft then you will see no benefit from higher Cetane numbers.

All ever so interesting; however I put any source of diesel in, set off to the moon, then keep putting any fuel in from wherever I can until I get there.

I would do the same if I drove an old Skoda or a new Ferrari. Surely everyone does this? (apart from driving to the moon)

All ever so interesting; however I put any source of diesel in, set off to the moon, then keep putting any fuel in from wherever I can until I get there.

I would do the same if I drove an old Skoda or a new Ferrari. Surely everyone does this? (apart from driving to the moon)

This thread is only for people who live in tiny dumbbell-shaped universes and who fall prey to logical fallacies.

Get back to the moon with you spaceboy.  :p

• Like 1

There are a total of 6 refineries in the UK, that's assuming the fuel you buy at the pump isn't imported - A lot of diesel in the UK (about 30%) is imported because we can't make enough to keep up with demand. Interestingly we make a surplus of petrol. 

The difference between the premium diesel and the normal supermarket rubbish, as some put it, is simply the additives which get added by the various companies such as Shell, BP, Texaco etc. 

So do these additives make a difference? That's the question!

In terms of performance and MPG I'd say no on a diesel. However premium fuels contain a greater concentration of cleaning additives, so running a few tanks through is probably similar to putting some fuel system cleaner into the tank. Any performance gains you get in terms of power and MPG are likely a result of that. I've yet to see any real evidence, at least on diesel cars, that premium fuels give a tangible improvement on mpg and performance other than what someone writes on line. 

• Like 2