VRS or Golf GTI?

I'm currently trying to decide between an Mk7 GTI (manual) and a hatch VRS TSI Manual. 

The VRS makes far more sense on paper, given better value for money, yet the GTI has something about it 

that I can't quite put my finger on that makes me want it more. I have absolutely to use or need for the Octavia's added

space and practicality and if I go for the GTI it will be a 3 door.  I know people's opinions are obviously biased here, but 

surely some of you thought about the GTI before pulling the trigger on the VRS. What are your thoughts. Just need to add that 

the GTI is non performance pack unfortunately as it isn't available in my local market. DCC (adaptive dampers) are however and option on the GTI. 

Firstly, they're the same car except the vRS is bigger, doesn't have a couple of techy things like adaptive dampers etc., and with cheaper interior plastics. But for a few thousand pounds less.

However, your statement "yet the GTI has something about it that I can't quite put my finger on that makes me want it more. I have absolutely to use or need for the Octavia's added

space and practicality", makes me thing that you've already made up your mind, and I would say listen to your gut feeling...

Yes I thought about the Golf GTI, these are the reasons I personally didn't go for it:

- vRS is cheaper, and at the expense of what? Some cheaper plastics...doesn't really bother me.

- The vRS looks the dogs danglies IMO.

- The GTI, IMO, looks a little more 'boy racer' type, nice as it might be.

- It's also more noticable and appealing to theives.

- The vRS has more space, and although I don't need it, it's nice to have. And the boot space is awesome.

- The price different, spec for spec, was huge. I simply couldn't justify it.

The GTI is an awesome car though. And if thats what you really want, I think you would probably be disappointed by getting something else.

• Like 1

Hmm, if you don't need the space then get the Golf. It will be:-

*Slightly faster

*More nimble

*Eaiser to park (useful if you live within a City)

*Better built (interior trim is a notch above the Octavia)

If you intend to keep it for just a few years then the Golf will probably hold it's value better.

The Octavia's only trump card is space. I needed the space so the choice was easy for me, but if I did not have kids and a dog I would have preferred the Golf.

If you're only considering the vrs for financial reasons then I would suggest it perhaps isn't the car for you. I had the same dilemma and couldn't split the two. In the end it came down to minor things. Availability of heated screen (without need for enhanced bluetooth) and the gorgeous race blue paint, poor paint choice for the Golf. The Simpsons lease deal sealed it.

If you don't need the space and the golf makes you feel special then it's really a no brainer!

So you save a few quid with the octavia....so what.

Me personally I prefer the look of the Octavia in combi (estate) form.

Did I think about the Golf GTI......yes......For 20 seconds before I crossed it off for lack of space. If it was just for myself then......I'd probably think about it more but ultimately as a brand and package I prefer Skoda over VW.

I cant directly compare vRS to GTI...but I do have a Mk3 2.0 TDI 150 Elegance estate and Mk7 GTD 5 door, both 6 speed manuals.

I whilst I really like the Octavia and think it represents alot of car for the money, the only area it really does better the Golf is in practicality.

The Golf feels overall more robust and seems built with a higher level of integrity than the Octavia. Its little things like how the doors shut that little bit more positively with that VW thunk, the front seatbelt anchorages are way better designed and dont get melted by seatbelt friction as they do in the Octavia, the foam in the seats is better quality and doesnt deform from pressure from child seats as they do in the Octavia..and the seat covers dont stretch...better detailing....a number of little things like that just add up.

The Mk7 Golf does seem a little smaller than the Mk6 in terms of boot space which is a little odd and in terms of rear and boot space it cant get near the Octavia. If you need a roomy family car you'd get the Octavia...or of course consider a Golf GTD or R estate.

I cant speak for the vRS but comparing the Elegance and GTD in terms of how they drive...they are chalk and cheese. The Octavia is a good car to while away motorway miles in (bar its crap front seats) but its no fun.....the GTD doesnt make me grin my head off but its fun because its just so competent and I would drive it just for the sake of it. Id wager the Golf is just that smidge better like for like in the driving stakes.

So if you dont need the space...my money would be on the Golf.

• Like 1

If neither practicality nor price is the main consideration then GTI every time for me. Still in mourning having to sell my MK6 for a people carrier upon the arrival of twins four years ago! vRS would be a close second but you have already made your mind up I think. Why not go 5 door though, bit more practical and in my opinion looks better.

I've had several GTI's and have to say I don't agree that the void is as big in terms of build quality between the VRS and GTI as some have said, sure the GTI is better albeit the gap is a lot smaller in terms of interior quality.

My VRS is on 42k miles and not a rattle around at all, I have a colleague with a MK7 GTI and his has been a tad un reliable and suffers the odd annoying rattle on 38k miles, go figure.

In the right hands the GTI and VRS are too closely matched in real world conditions to tear apart in terms of performance.

It then surely has to be down to personal preference/needs and to which you'd have to go and test drive both to find the answer as what others like, you might not. 

I've had both and ended up with the VRS who's trump card may be practicality, however it's simply a great all round car that seems to tick more boxes than the GTI ever could for me, that of course is only my humble opinion.

Edited by Telboy5
  • Like 1

If a the small difference in cost is a significant factor, then I think both cars are too expensive. The only other major difference is space. If you don't need the space, then get the GTI.

In Australia, the vRS does have one other advantage. It is far less common.

I cross-shopped Golf GT & GTI & the MK2 Octy 1.8tsi & vRS when I was buying in 2008.  I finished up with the Octavia.

vRS is 90% as sporty as the GTI.

Mostly, I only need GTI size as my wifes car is the main family run-about but decided to cover my bets with the Octavia hatch which has proven to be a good choice for me (2x tweeny kids, large dog and I do a bit of DIY / large garden projects). 

I don't live or work where parking is a problem.

The Skoda place offered me a crazy high price on my old MK3.5 Golf Cabrio - 50% more than the VW dealer offered and a big discount on the Octavia.  They could also get the car within 2 weeks whereas VW had a 6 month wait at the time.

For me, the Octy was the right choice but you have to look at your own personal circumstances.

Not sure of price difference between the LE Vrs 230 and a gti but you have already ruled out the VW performance pack so may be a non starter!

As previous stated Vrs is the fun practical choice the golf is the smaller faster higher residual choice but just to chuck a spanner in the works what about a Leon Cupra

I think I am just re-iterating what many have said already on this topic but for the purposes of the 'poll' I would go with the the Golf if space is not important. Cost wise (with a new vehicle) the stronger residuals of a Golf mean that the cost of onwership will be similar. IMO the VW is better built, better looking and more 'desirable'.

I have an Octavia because I need the space, love the toys (Xenons, sat nav, electric seats, the list goes on) and cannot afford a Golf for the price I paid for my used O3. Don't get me wrong I think my O3 is a great car for £15.5K and the spec is unmatchable by VW but if I could get a Golf estate with similar spec for the same cost of ownership I would have gone with the Golf.

I really don't think a VW badge will impress the neighbours!

I don't think any badge will impress neighbours, nobody cares anymore, cars are all fairly good these days and the only real difference between many mass production cars is marketing budget.

I've always found it curious that families will push themselves into the red so Mr Jones will think "wow, they're successful". But really, the Smiths are buckling under payments they're struggling to make ;)

• Like 1

I don't think any badge will impress neighbours, nobody cares anymore, cars are all fairly good these days and the only real difference between many mass production cars is marketing budget.

I've always found it curious that families will push themselves into the red so Mr Jones will think "wow, they're successful". But really, the Smiths are buckling under payments they're struggling to make ;)

The way car finance has been structured these days, PCPs, PCH etc, means that nearly anyone on a fair wage can jump into a 'premium' car.

I've seen Jags, BMWs, for under £200/month.

Many years ago you would've had to fork out the full £30k, which meant you a some wad in the bank or a hefty loan of £6-700/month. Which might have made the neighbours wonder what money you had.

Thanks for all the feedback! 

just thought I would clarify a few points. I don't give a flying f*$# about what people think about the badge. 

I test drove both the VRS and the GTI (with DSG boxes though) and these were my impressions.

The VRS surprised me very much, the demonstrator had the driving modes button and sport mode really wakes the car up nicely. 

The brakes also feel great. The interior is nice, seats look great but lack a bit of bolstering in my opinion. 

The GTI, pretty much met my expectations, the seats were epic, easily the best seat I ever sat in. The GTI demonstrator lacked the driving modes feature, 

and I really liked that on the VRS. The GTI brake pedal felt good but not as good as the VRS (312mm v 340mm). The GTi did have a lightly nicer interior though. 

As for spec:

The VRS would come fully loaded with Canton, color maxi dot, sunroof, black pack etc. Basically everything that is available. 

The GTI, comes with nothing, I can't justify specing it up to VRS levels. So I would take it with non DCC dampers, xenons, 18 inch wheels, upgraded dynaudio (the same as canton in the VRS), reverse camera, sunroof, metallic paint and electric finding mirrors. 

I personally think the VRS looks awesome on the outside (better than the GTI), yet the GTi has a nicer interior and much better seats. VW will also probably hold its value better yet offer less toys and for more money. 99% of the time I will drive this car alone and will rarely have more than one extra passenger so I don't really need the VRS's added practicality. 

I really don't know what to do. On the GTi, spec wise I would be giving up on parking sensors, tinted windows, smart link, led rear tail lights, driving modes and obviously no performance pack (but that isn't available on the VRS either). 

What do I do? I need to order in the next few days. 

Edited by stig555

Thanks for all the feedback!

just thought I would clarify a few points. I don't give a flying f*$# about what people think about the badge.

I test drove both the VRS and the GTI (with DSG boxes though) and these were my impressions.

The VRS surprised me very much, the demonstrator had the driving modes button and sport mode really wakes the car up nicely.

The brakes also feel great. The interior is nice, seats look great but lack a bit of bolstering in my opinion.

The GTI, pretty much met my expectations, the seats were epic, easily the best seat I ever sat in. The GTI demonstrator lacked the driving modes feature,

and I really liked that on the VRS. The GTI brake pedal felt good but not as good as the VRS (312mm v 340mm). The GTi did have a lightly nicer interior though.

As for spec:

The VRS would come fully loaded with Canton, color maxi dot, sunroof, black pack etc. Basically everything that is available.

The GTI, comes with nothing, I can't justify specing it up to VRS levels. So I would take it with non DCC dampers, xenons, 18 inch wheels, upgraded dynaudio (the same as canton in the VRS), reverse camera, sunroof, metallic paint and electric finding mirrors.

I personally think the VRS looks awesome on the outside (better than the GTI), yet the GTi has a nicer interior and much better seats. VW will also probably hold its value better yet offer less toys and for more money. 99% of the time I will drive this car alone and will rarely have more than one extra passenger so I don't really need the VRS's added practicality.

I really don't know what to do. On the GTi, spec wise I would be giving up on parking sensors, tinted windows, smart link, led rear tail lights, driving modes and obviously no performance pack (but that isn't available on the VRS either).

What do I do? I need to order in the next few days.

What roads do you generally drive on? The Golf will eat up twisty A/B roads much better than the Octy.