Faulty rain sensor ... or operator error ?

jogo

Hi,

I admit I am a bit afraid to find out that I am making some sort of stupid error  :S

I had a rain sensor already in my Octavia II and from that I guess I know how it should work. For any reason it does not seem to do anything in my Octavia III.

When its raining and the window wiper is put "interval" wiping (hand lever one position up), the wiper operate with a constant delay between each operation which I can adjust on the lever. 

To my understanding, the rain sensor should be operational in that setting in that way that it makes wiping more often if more rain comes down and reduce wiping when rainfall reduces, even stop wiping completely when the rain stops. That is how it worked in the old car.

Now, in the new car, the rain sensor does not seem to do anything. When I drive from rain into a long tunnel, the wiping will just continue until I manually switch it off.

I have checked manual to see if there are any settings which might explain the described behavior, but did not find an explanation there.

Any thoughts?

If the car has a rain sensor and is just doing regular intermitent wiping in position one, more than likely the rain sensor has been disabled in the "car" infotainment menu under the mirrors and wipers section.

Unlike the Mk2 where you had to have rain sensing in position one whether you liked it or not (unless you had the means to code it out), on the mk3 you can decide if you want rain sensing or regular intermittent wiping through the infotainment.

Someone on a French forum recently mentioned he has disabled the auto wiping in the Amundsen setting (this person has an anti Geek side :-) ).

He described the behaviour you have, as a result of his action.

I advice you have a look to the media unit settings.

If nothing found, let me know, I can try to get more detailed info.

How it is described in my MY14 (MIB1) Amundsen English language manual:

Press the "Car" button then the cogs/gears symbol then "Mirrors and wipers"

• Wipers - Adjust the windscreen wipers
    • Automatic wiping in rain - Activate/deactivate automatic windscreen wiping
    • in rain
    • Automatic rear wiper - Activate/deactivate automatic rear window wiping

Edited by iriches

Hi,

I am amazed by the number of helpful replies that quick, thank you all  :beer:

To the points risen:

The car is a 2015 elegance, which to all I know has a rain sensor

The settings in the infotainment where my first thought also, sorry forgot to mention that. I use the following settings:

-> Automatic wiping in rain - activated

-> Automatic rear wiper - deactivated

I usually have the window wiper lever in the "off"-position, just move it up to intermittent (or above) when its raining. 

Your description fits my own way/usage.

You should get the auto wiping, unless you face some kind of fault that would need to be investigated at dealer...

Edited by JPH0091

I leave it in the intermittent setting and never worry about my wipers. (sometimes I change the sensitivity using the switch at the top of the stalk when I need it to wipe more frequently)

I leave it in the intermittent setting and never worry about my wipers. (sometimes I change the sensitivity using the switch at the top of the stalk when I need it to wipe more frequently)

Just remember to change your habit when we start getting frosty weather and there's ice on the screen when you start the car.  :D

I leave mine switched off until it starts to rain, then I turn them to auto and let them do their thing before turning off again when I finish my journey.

I always leave my wipers in automode, and it has never wiped before I drive off, so ice should not a problem. Besides, the auxiliary heater will take care of any ice before I even get to the car ;)

Leave in auto wipers don't start moving on a wet screen until the car starts moving

That's good to hear :) I've not got my Octavia yet so only have my Renault for reference. I was lucky to only have the rubber tear from the wiper blade when it was on auto and the wiper had frozen to the screen.

• 1 year later...
On 07/09/2015 at 12:45, jogo said:

Thank you all for quick and competent help! I will get it checked at the dealer then.

Hi jogo, even though its bit old thread but i am in similar situation. My wiper doesn't come automatic. its Octavia Eligance 13plate. Auto wipe option is already ticked in the Infotainment though. Is there any other procedure that we have to follow to get wiper work automatically. In my previous car if i pull the stalk toward me then wipe runs once and automatic wipeing option is activated. but this one i have tried this method, doesn't work..

can anyone else also help me please. thank you.

6 hours ago, automass said:

In my previous car if i pull the stalk toward me then wipe runs once and automatic wipeing option is activated. but this one i have tried this method, doesn't work..

can anyone else also help me please. thank you.

Rather than expecting all cars to be the same, read the manual and learn how to use your car!!!

Try page 66 of the online manual this time, http://ws.skoda-auto.com/OwnersManualService/Data/en/Octavia_5E/11-2013/Manual/Octavia/A7_Octavia_OwnersManual.pdf

Don't pull the stick towards you, move it up once for automatic wiping.

On ‎26‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 15:44, langers2k said:

Pulling the stick towards you will only operate the washers.

Rather than expecting all cars to be the same, read the manual and learn how to use your car!!!

Try page 66 of the online manual this time, http://ws.skoda-auto.com/OwnersManualService/Data/en/Octavia_5E/11-2013/Manual/Octavia/A7_Octavia_OwnersManual.pdf

Don't pull the stick towards you, move it up once for automatic wiping.