MOT failed on emissions (1.9 TDI PD, 2009)

Hi

The Octy failed her MOT today with emissions of 3.06 on average at a temp of 86 degrees. Are there any obvious areas the garage should be checking first? Googling has suggested the lamda sensor and not much else comes up that is relevant.

Thanks

Matt

Change the air filter element if it hasn't been done for a while. Then just before the Mot get the engine warmed up and drive it like you stole it! Find a nice bit of clear road and drop into third gear and red line it for a mile or so, then take it straight in for the test. Never known that to fail!

There is no lambda sensor on these by the way, that's more of a petrol engine issue.

Something I have unfortunate experience of.

Change the air filter if not done in the last year. Get yourself some BG244 or Archoil 6400d in your fuel tank and drive like a little old lady. Every so often with the engine fully warmed up give it a good thrashing for 3-4 mins at a time to clear out the crap out that has been dissolved in the fuel line. This worked wonders on my Mondeo taking from a fail to 1.67 on the retest and then down to 0.16 with annual treatment using BG244.

As above, check / replace air filter, get it warmed up and thrash the bejeesus out of it just before its mot. That will clear the injectors and make sure its at operating temperature for the mot. Have used diesel cleaner (Forte etc) neat in the fuel filter too in the past before thrashing it but that was on other vehicles. Don't know if that would cause issues with the Skoda. Might also be worth a tank of bp ultimate and a thrashing, its seemingly got more detergents in it and a higher cetane level which should allow a more complete burn.

Edited by FatblokeVRS

Sorry: smoke test...certificate gives 'emissions' as fail reason.

She had to do better than 1.5.

Thanks, will replace air filter and get some archoil stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi Mike,

Co - incidentally since my last post a friend has suggested a different test centre too. I am going to do the additive and filter changes, clean the EGR and then after the suspension is sorted get a retest at a different garage.

Talking of which, other than Eurocarparts does anyone have thoughts on online providers? The dealer wanted thirty pounds for a fuel filter.

Hi Mike,

Co - incidentally since my last post a friend has suggested a different test centre too. I am going to do the additive and filter changes, clean the EGR and then after the suspension is sorted get a retest at a different garage.

Talking of which, other than Eurocarparts does anyone have thoughts on online providers? The dealer wanted thirty pounds for a fuel filter.

Use Carparts4Less.

It's the same company as EuroCarParts, but online only.

A fuel filter is less than £15.

• Like 1

Shame to hear of your high result, I just had my 1.9PD BXE M.O.T 2 weeks ago and it passed with a reading of just 0.004 according to the print out, I always give mine some beans once fully warm of course, Often has long motorway runs to visit family ( From south coast to Leeds ), I think being in daily use and averaging 200-250 miles a week helps keep them clear along with oil changes every 6000 miles.

A good way to see if its clogged up is a brisk pull away from stand still in first gear up to 4000 rpm and see if you leave a cloud of smoke in your rear view mirror.

Be careful with biodiesel. At least CR injectors are known to be very sensitive to a bad fuel. Maybe it's incompatible with biodiesel. It's also written on my fuel cap - NO BIODIESEL.

Sure, PD isn't CR but you never know...

Hi, it probably does not help that despite having bought a petrol Fabia for the express purpose of short journey's, the car often gets used on stop start journeys.

Ok, will dive under the bonnet over the weekend and let you know the result.

Matt

Last questions. If I knacker the gasket on the EGR whilst cleaning it, does anyone know the part number please?

And do I need to disconnect the battery before hand?

Thanks

Matt

Edited by MattHunt