Build quality of Superb III

mtl

My colleague has just purchased one of these and when he returned to his car after a day of training his rear view mirror had fallen off the windscreen!

Skoda have said they are going to replace the windscreen to fix the issue.

How did you go? Mine booked in tomorrow, I'm going to leave it with them for the day. Hopefully doesn't take any longer. 

The update is that it's now going to be three days. Door didn't need rehanging but they need to replace some trim and one of the required pieces arrived damaged (hence delay).

Apparently Skoda have taken an interest in the fault, asking the dealer for details.

There is a sevice action plan for defective chrome strips, they need to realigned, if can't completely renewed. (This is the case in Turkey.) The chrome strips seems to go out as temperatures rise.

Mine has an annoying resonance buzzing rattle at around 2krpm when accelerating. Not impressed tbh

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Yes, top centre front of the dashboard where the extra speaker/grill mesh thingy is. The hard plastic interface between mesh and plastic grill at its fore edge (closest to the windscreen) buzzes just a bit. Put a tiny bit of pressure on it and it stops.

Annoying I know but it's what you get when you buy a year 1 car. These little things (when reported on by dealers who try to fix them) are worked on and should be solved for MY17 builds. It's an ever evolving mini fix. I'm gonna push a wee but of folded dark card into the gap. Hopefully that will fix it.

Has anyone else noticed flexibility in the door trim around the inside door handle? I open the door them push on the door around that area and it flexes a lot. Way more that Mk2 or my previous Octavias!

Edited by blahde2

The update is that it's now going to be three days. Door didn't need rehanging but they need to replace some trim and one of the required pieces arrived damaged (hence delay).

Apparently Skoda have taken an interest in the fault, asking the dealer for details.

Good to hear, that's not much of a wait. My dealer told me that I need a new part but I've been told it will take 3-4 weeks :(  They didn't want to touch the chrome any more in case they damaged something so I'm going to have a piece hanging out until the new part comes. 

• 7 months later...

Like others, I have the dashboard vibration, appearing to come from top centre. It's definitely not trim related.

It first happened just above tickover when cold, but after a couple of visits the dealer fixed that ("moved heater pipes"), but it has now morphed into doing it at around 1800 rpm under slight load with a hot engine. The dealer has subsequently had three goes at it, including removing the dashboard and re-siting the heater box, without success (although I think it might have improved slightly). It's mostly reproducable when driving up a hill so you can keep it at 1700-1900 revs while under constant load. On the flat you zip through that rev band pretty quickly, so it's not so intrusive.

It hasn't been doing it so much when the outside temperature has been below about five degrees Centigrade so I'm guessing it's something to do with external air temperature, so possibly exhaust pipe/heat shielding related? I'll take it in again when the weather warms up and I'll let you know if they crack it.

Five visits so far, so they're doing their best!

Mine did something similar when hot - it was the radio fascia vibrating and could be stopped with the lightest of touch on the panel, fixed with some tape behind it to take up the very slight gaps.  

A little update: 

The low frequency resonation from behind the central portion of the dash (probably at or around the firewall) is still there. 

A new rattle has developed above the glovebox from the gloss black trim that runs horizontally across the dash. 

The central vent still rattles at higher revs, and when certain noises come out of the central speaker.

There's a new rattle in my seatbelt height adjuster around the B pillar 

The load cover is still ratting 

The plastic trim that surrounds the instrument cluster now creaks and rattles most of the time

Both side air vents creak when warmed up 

There's a new rattle inside the driver's door (the door pocket and Hi vis vest storage have been checked for stray objects)

The SLA system still won't work properly on dual carriageways (doesn't ever raise the offside main beam). It's clearly been fiddled with as it's now generally worse than ever. 

There's a creaking noise from the suspension when going over a speed bump with any sort of steering lock. 

Both headlights fog up pretty much every day - I understand the mechanics behind this as I'm an A/C engineer but this shouldn't occur as often as it is. 

It's been back and forth to the dealers, but they don't seem to be able/capable/bothered to actually fix things. I'm fed up with wasting time (and money, I'm self employed) going back and forth for little or no gain, it's a 50 mile round trip each time. I might have to escalate things with a letter to Skoda UK. 

The Superb is easily the most rattle prone car I've ever had -  It's a love/hate thing as I really do like the Superb, then I hate it when I'm reduced to clouting parts of the interior of a £38k car when it all starts rattling. Is this VW's cost saving strategies tricking down? 

The car was built Jan/Feb 2016 or thereabouts. 

• Like 1

My glove box randomly opens itself when i'm driving along and I have to slam it shut. That's annoying.

Happens on my Leon when I don't close it properly. Learned to slam it shut every time a long time ago. No problems since. Seat and Skoda probably use the same catch.

• Like 1

Happens on my Leon when I don't close it properly. Learned to slam it shut every time a long time ago. No problems since. Seat and Skoda probably use the same catch.

My Leon sounds like a bag of screws in a tumble dryer, or it did....... I've removed every interior door panel and soundproofed them as well as removing most of the dash and adding sound deadening foam and/or other materials to reduce buzzes and rattles.  

It's much better now but it ruined the initial ownership experience and the dealer support was non-existent.

I'm reading some of these comments with a heavy heart :-(

I'm hoping that the majority of QC issues have been addressed now that the S3 has been in production for almost two years 

My Leon sounds like a bag of screws in a tumble dryer, or it did....... I've removed every interior door panel and soundproofed them as well as removing most of the dash and adding sound deadening foam and/or other materials to reduce buzzes and rattles.  

Been very happy with the build quality of my Leon, No issues at all, in truth probably the least rattly car I have ever owned. Mine was one of the first Mk3's built, February or March 2013 even though I did not take delivery until June.

The vibration is very temperature sensitive... seems not so bad at 5 degrees C and below.

I've also had the glovebox pop open, and rattle occasionally. A bit of pressure top left and just left of the latch helps the lugs to engage - seems to improve things.

Going in to the dealer again (5th time) tomorrow for the dashboard vibration - but the weather's going to be cold, so I don't know if I can reproduce it!

Further to my earlier problems with window trim coming loose, I booked in for a service to have it fixed, but just a few days before, the problem got so bad that the trim came loose and was ripped off by the wind on the motorway!

Luckily nobody was hurt, but this seems worthy of a recall. I wonder how much Skoda are going to charge me for replacement???

Please be warned - this fault needs attending to quickly - mine started in November. I started trying to book a service in December, but had trouble finding a close service centre, and then my January appointment was just too late.

There is a sevice action plan for defective chrome strips, they need to realigned, if can't completely renewed. (This is the case in Turkey.) The chrome strips seems to go out as temperatures rise.

Ah, this is my problem. I agree that there should be an action plan!

The vibration is very temperature sensitive... seems not so bad at 5 degrees C and below.

I've also had the glovebox pop open, and rattle occasionally. A bit of pressure top left and just left of the latch helps the lugs to engage - seems to improve things.

Going in to the dealer again (5th time) tomorrow for the dashboard vibration - but the weather's going to be cold, so I don't know if I can reproduce it!

Took it in today and they're going to order a replacement part at the rear of the engine bay at the top, which is a sort of junction box of pipework (heating I assume) before they pass through the bulkhead. Apparently the part has been redesigned. I'm hopeful this will fix it... I'll let you know if it does!

• Like 1

Took it in today and they're going to order a replacement part at the rear of the engine bay at the top, which is a sort of junction box of pipework (heating I assume) before they pass through the bulkhead. Apparently the part has been redesigned. I'm hopeful this will fix it... I'll let you know if it does!

Would hope that that's the case and the re-designed part has been fitted to MY17 cars as it would do my head in!

I hope this fixes your issue

Update to chrome trim problem - there is a recall on it. I got away lightly; some cars have sustained (or caused!) damage to paintwork. No charge for me, but it'll have to be taken in for another day.

They also claim to have fixed the tyre pressure sensor. We shall see!

There is no  tyre pressure sensor on the Superb 3 :) 

The Pressure is being monitored through the ABS sensor, it just looks if all wheels spin at the right speed. U should reset this in the Car Menü after checking the right Tyre Pressure and after changing Tyres 

There is no  tyre pressure sensor on the Superb 3 :)

The Pressure is being monitored through the ABS sensor, it just looks if all wheels spin at the right speed. U should reset this in the Car Menü after checking the right Tyre Pressure and after changing Tyres 

So I wonder if the ABS is also broken...