VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

I bought a greenline for the 'Green' credentials - they lied in their advertising  - no excuses - they now owe big time!!

Is there anything opposite to green? I want to make up a sticker to go over the one they provided!

ok if that guy from the vag dealership is correct that is the official info on whats planed. ved bands increased and owners compensated for the life of the car. 

It has already been announced that VED rates will NOT alter!!

It has already been announced that VED rates will NOT alter!!

Indeed, but that doesn't stop people saying otherwise, because a friend of a friend knows someone who read something on the internet

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-confirms-consumers-who-bought-vehicles-in-good-faith-will-not-incur-additional-tax-costs

Looks like VW Group is currently advised by those professional crisis consultants to buy as much time as they can with the hope that emotion would subside. Our UK Government does it perfectly by long drawn out enquires; look at Chilcot's. As customers of Skoda/VW, especially those directly affected like myself, we would lanswers yesterday hence why we are here in this forum to share information and feeling. Personally I think VW Group should deal with this very swiftly to avoid fuelling more anger and speculations. I hope they don't underestimate the power of social media these days.

Mine's a Rapid Spaceback 90bhp (or is it 95?) 1.6. Anyway, the current Euro 6 range shows 2, 1.4 TDi's, one of which has similar power to mine, and a 1.6 which is more powerful - so an off-the-shelf fix based on current models is I guess not it.

I'd rather them spend a bit of time getting it right than rush out a fix, thank you. Rather than ending up with a dog, or more power that would get me into trouble with my insurer or need brake/tyre upgrades. After all they are shoving something into their development people that wasn't (presumably) on their list originally, so I guess development of their new models would get a tad delayed.

Mine's a Rapid Spaceback 90bhp (or is it 95?) 1.6. Anyway, the current Euro 6 range shows 2, 1.4 TDi's, one of which has similar power to mine, and a 1.6 which is more powerful - so an off-the-shelf fix based on current models is I guess not it.

I'd rather them spend a bit of time getting it right than rush out a fix, thank you. Rather than ending up with a dog, or more power that would get me into trouble with my insurer or need brake/tyre upgrades. After all they are shoving something into their development people that wasn't (presumably) on their list originally, so I guess development of their new models would get a tad delayed.

I agree that we don't want them to promise a fix they don't have yet. What VW needs to do is to answer swiftly all those "what if" questions. The obvious one is what they would do if the fix they eventually figure out would affect the performance, fuel economy or/and value of the car.  Without those answers, people would just put their VW car purchase on hold, investors won't buy their shares and creditors would recall the loans. We all agree that VW had shot themselves in the foot and now they are running the risk of pointing the gun to it's head!

We do know, though that they have had at least a year and a half to come up with a fix.   And they must, out of desperation,have a lot of people working on it - so the 'fix' (for the original FIX) cannot be straightforward.  Are they looking at a balancing act to satisfy government and customer?   ie. lower emissions against performance against economy.   i do doubt that they can perform the trick of lowering the former whilst not adversely effecting the latter two

We do know, though that they have had at least a year and a half to come up with a fix. And they must, out of desperation,have a lot of people working on it - so the 'fix' (for the original FIX) cannot be straightforward. Are they looking at a balancing act to satisfy government and customer? ie. lower emissions against performance against economy. i do doubt that they can perform the trick of lowering the former whilst not adversely effecting the latter two

This is my worry we(the customer) will be stuffed by the government and vw

Looking back at the SPecs when i ordered my car ,they are as follows MPG  urban 60.1  Extra urban  83.1  combined 74.3  250 nm torque  0 -- 62  in 11.4 secs  105 PS , that is the basis on which i bought my car( now I know i will not get that MPG ,but to Pass EU directive 99/94 they must)  now I expect that after the FIX,  Skoda /VW will retest the cars and prove the same specs, and publish the data before they fix mine, if they cannot match or better the specs then i have been missold and will sue :devil:

They never could be held for the Official EU Test Figures on MPG or Emissions, 

because as the EU Governments knew, the tests were Comparison on Fuel Use while being tested only, not Real World out of doors,

and the Emissions were also achieved indoors on vehicles possibly not even the same weight as yours, or with options fitted, 

or even at the Revenue Weight for the tests.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

As to the Minimum Power Figures you were sold the vehicle on.

If you are in the UK, so never going to be above an Altitude of 4,000 ft or in ambient temperatures above 40*oC,

Never using less than Fuels to Western World Standards you can rightly expect the vehicle to perform

as advertised when you bought it.

The warranty on my Greenline Octavia II (1.6 Tdi engine) runs out in April 2016.  Included in the purchase was a 3 year free service plan and I was planning to get the car serviced and MOT'd by the dealer just before the anniversary.  Now I am in a quandary.  I can't imagine them having the new fuel injectors ready for at least a couple of months.  However, if I take it in early for the service then it may have the software flashed.  I'm assuming the software flash will just affect the car under test conditions (in which case would it not fail the MOT on emissions?)

Of course it would be nice to have the free service plus MOT in April but it does not give much time for the "FIX" and its effects on the car's performance to be established elsewhere.  Maybe the FIX won't be available by then.

I am very happy with the car's present performance and fuel consumption and I am extremely annoyed with VW as I chose the car because of its "green" credentials which were clearly based on lies.

The penny has just dropped on something else:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...re-recall.html

Consider this recall for all Skodas and VAGs may be mandatory and enforced through m.o.t with some kind of certificate so it gets on the VOSA database. There are many cars that are legally 'customized' with ECU tuning,  There may be a wrong assumption that all cars are standardized during dealer service and all cars are serviced by dealers when they are not. There are also some with DPF and EGR's removed.

Your car is recalled into the Stealership or worse you are away and your partner takes it in! If they spot a customized ECU what will they do? If they re-flash it anyway, two things could happen. You have lost the tuning costs and you no longer have an oem map same as before tried and dyno tested by many which can be retuned. If you had de-dpf and de-egr, your car could be left in limp mode because the ECU reflash will start expecting the manifold pressure difference and EGR responses.

Your car tweaks may have been legal and meeting current m.o.t requirements. By enforcing a mandatory recall, not only will those vag owners be unhappy, but somebody must have to pay compensation where it to be shown money spent on tuning was still road legal. The de-dpf and de-egr may not be, but stage 1 ECU tuning keeping the OE parts is legal.

This is the problem when governments come up with good ideas for Draconian retrospective blanket changes - they don't understand the variables and consequences. The case for mandatory recall may be stronger for those cars still in factory warranty which are unlikely to have been customized, but a nightmare for owners with older customized cars.

Well it'll be interesting to hear how you get on - I'm about to sell my 170tdi SEAT Exeo and on their forum two BMW dealers have turned them down flat on P-EX due to the engine issue!  :|

Ŷ

Took a look at the new BMW X1 today and was not impressed. Felt and looked a bit like a plumped up saloon, awkward to get in

and out compared to the Yeti and just didn't feel particularly comfortable. Looked even less impressive parked next to an X3.

Going to be difficult to beat the Yeti that's for sure!

Ŷ

Took a look at the new BMW X1 today and was not impressed. Felt and looked a bit like a plumped up saloon, awkward to get in

and out compared to the Yeti and just didn't feel particularly comfortable. Looked even less impressive parked next to an X3.

Going to be difficult to beat the Yeti that's for sure!

I'm really unimpressed with the newer BMW's, my boss has a brand new 5-Series and his wife a 1-Series, I found both uncomfortable, noisy and bumpy. I actually felt pretty ill as a passenger in both. I used to own a 2000 530i (the good looking shape before they cocked it up!) and it was probably the best all-round car I've had, everyone who went in it thought so too! It's all about firm ride and wide, run-flat tyres nowadays. I went with a friend for a test drive in a Yeti 170 Monte-Carlo this weekend and thought it was great, she bought one and it arrives in three weeks... Before mine does. Boo. :\

• Like 1

For those with newer EA288 engined vehicles VW have now confirmed the earlier EU5 and current EU6 variants do not have a cheat device and are legal for sale in the EU, killing the speculation it too could be affected. Does appear therefore to only affect the EA189 and no other variants.

Im pleased as both my current cars are EA288 diesels, one EU5 the other EU6.