Another Mk1 VRS GTB2260 build............now for sale £4k bargain!

Stuart27183

Thanks for the replies.

It's one of them things then... Guess I'll end up

Buying the bits and putting them on the parts shelf incase I ever need them :D

Beavo's SE Fabia, AKA 'Beast'

Just got the car back from unit 18 and first of all want to say a huge thank you to them. Great communication, and awesome guys.

They we're pretty sure the noise was caused by my brakes. They were ruined pretty much, the inside of both disc's had corroded and the pads were knackered, had a small fluid leak. Ali's replaced it with ebc slotted discs and yellow stuff pads and replaced the copper link tube to both sets of pistons......wow what a huge difference.

I also had the clutch release bearing changed which has opened a huge can of worms!

Basically the garage who fitted the differential didn't do the sub frame bolts up which is documented on the previous thread. In doing this the steering rack has dented the exhaust

But the best....I'll need a new gearbox rebuild soon. This is Ali's very educated guess mind, they've over shimmed the input shaft so there is no movement at all. Realising there mistake they've filled it with very thick oil and swarf to quieten it down. So now Ali's put the correct stuff in there which is thinner it sounds horrendous so now I'm looking at a minimum of £500 to sort it out.

The only good point at the moment is Ali's checked over the front end and everything is good there, he's resurfaced the clutch so it's like new. His knowledge is second to none and labour costs are so reasonable the 4hr round trip is worth it. Hopefully the box can last until after Xmas as I can't afford to fix it and I fear I'll have to break the car.

Hope everyone else has a good weekend lol.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/index.php?/topic/359777-Beavo%27s-SE-Fabia%2C-AKA-%27Beast%27/page__view__findpost__p__4440031

Seem like I have two threads lol.

I did speak to Ali about the shim fix and he said it can fix things but can also make things worse in the long run.

The only way to get the play perfect to to strip apart the box and measure the input shaft and shim accordingly.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

• Like 1

Seem like I have two threads lol.

I did speak to Ali about the shim fix and he said it can fix things but can also make things worse in the long run.

The only way to get the play perfect to to strip apart the box and measure the input shaft and shim accordingly.

Sorry to hijack your thread.

Thats no problem at all. Im fairly certain i have play now but did buy the shim as a precationary measure (think i worry too much! And spend unneccesarily sometimes!)

So i will take the cover over off on saturday and see if there is any play.

• Like 1

I had no problems with my gearbox or clutch but Ali pointed out to me I had a lot of play in my input shaft when he did my clutch and DMF back in July.

I was looking at £500 to get it sorted through Unit 18, which didn't seem particularly palatable after just spending £595 for the clutch and DMF, so I ended up taking a gamble and doing "the shim fix".

Haven't had any adverse problems since and it did eliminate the play I had, but I am FAR from a gearbox expert.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

On my pd130 golf i was able to fit the tubular manifold and turbo all fitted together dropped in from the top with the rocker removed, there was no chance of me getting it down there with the rocker on, i would of thought with the rocker removed you will also be able to fit the whole lot from the top on your fabia.

Well, its done! I am now gtb2260 powered finally! Hard long day today only just got home. No major problems on the fitting thanks to advice from very help members on here so thanks a lot.

And i was very haopy that we managed to get the tubular on with new studs and flanged copper nuts (just the odd shave needed with grinder on a couple of them). The first tune is installed and only running about 2 bar at the moment until i can find a very long dry road to do some proper logs on. But, wow, its silly fast compared to standard turbo running 1.6 bar! And gavnt really even pushed it yet, plus will ve upping the boost next month so god know what it will be like then! So happy with how its all gone. But, it has cost a fortune so if anyone is considering going 2260 make sure you have plenty of surplus cash for all the extra littlw bits needed. Will update with some pics when i get chance.

Thanks again to the members on here who have given advice it all made sure this went to plan at the first attempt.

• Like 3

Good to hear, all completed in your time frame over Christmas as well :)

Yes think thats down to this forum and my project management skills. The 130mile commute to work monday will be interesting now!

Awesome news! I found a huge difference in performance when I first ran mine at 2 bar, and that was coming from a 220bhp hybrid too. Wait until you get it cranked up to 2.5 bar :D

I drive around with a big grin everywhere now its hilarious! Going to order DSSR injectors but probably not until March now as the missus is starting to realise how much cash has gone into this build!

I wouldn't even bother with nozzles to be honest. My EGT's are more than fine, even on track! Kev has not long fitted them and is half wishing he hadn't bothered!

If you're looking to go above 270bhp then you'll need them though (along with head work/cam!).

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Who's doing your mapping?

As alex says,I wouldn't bother with nozzles unless your going for a cam and head work.

All the car's with nozzles I've seen on rolling roads putting out 270-280bhp are really smokey.

Mine now is smoking more than a car on standard nozzles,but John's mapped it for low smoke as it's my daily driver.

I'm not seeing any advantage with mine compared to Alexs on standard nozzles both at the same boost level.

I've been wondering,and discussing with John,if 2.5bar and a gtb2260 is the limit of the standard head/cam for an efficient burn.

I think the issue is the efficiency at low revs is obviously beginning to be compromised due to having to run such a smaller injection time than standard sized nozzles. Hence you're getting smoke no matter what.

After hearing about your smoke levels and seeing the results of my EGT, I wouldn't bother. I think there may be some benefit there with nozzles, but only if you're willing to put up with a smoke machine.

• Like 1

Who's doing your mapping?

As alex says,I wouldn't bother with nozzles unless your going for a cam and head work.

All the car's with nozzles I've seen on rolling roads putting out 270-280bhp are really smokey.

Mine now is smoking more than a car on standard nozzles,but John's mapped it for low smoke as it's my daily driver.

I'm not seeing any advantage with mine compared to Alexs on standard nozzles both at the same boost level.

I've been wondering,and discussing with John,if 2.5bar and a gtb2260 is the limit of the standard head/cam for an efficient burn.

Kris Mason (DieselPowered, and ex DS) is my mapper as he is a friend of a friend).

I need to drive mine for a while now then find someone who is willing to take me out in theres with injectors and see if its worth it before sinking another 700 into the car.

Oh, and turning mine into a smoke machine does'nt bother me! Although it may not look good pulling into the car park where i work! (Large oem, aka the emissions police)

Oh, and turning mine into a smoke machine does'nt bother me! Although it may not look good pulling into the car park where i work! (Large oem, aka the emissions police)

It's not just the smoke and soot though,you do alot of miles,your fuel economy will suffer a lot.

Even mine running low smoke for nozzles is about 100 miles per tank less than Alexs on standard nozzles at same boost.

You will struggle to see 300 miles per tank running nozzles with quite a lot of fueling.

I know your mapper likes to make them into smoke machines too,as he mapped silkys on nozzles and liked lots of fuel going in at low revs as he said it increased turbo spool quite a lot.

• Like 1

I though the mk1 Fabia vrs was a smoke machine [emoji23]

If your doing big milage you'll be better of keeping standard. If you go bigger injectors you might aswell get a petrol [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Great info guys thanks a lot. Sounds like i should wait until this car becomes 'track only' which will be next year i think. Unless my job moves closer to home this year then i will go all out on it with injectors and an angle grinder to lose weight.

• Like 2