Help me choose and your opinions please?

turboman6680

So, we're buying another Yeti. We've had a FL Tour de France 140ps 4x4 but we're changing this time from a Rapid Sport.

It'll be on personal contract hire over 3 years with 45000 total contract mileage.

After much debate, we've narrowed it to -

L&K 150 ACT TSi 4x4 manual

Jungle green

Flaps all round

Spare wheel

Or.................

Yeti 'indoor' 110 diesel manual SEL

Muscavado

Wheel upgrade

Wood inserts

Gobi sand leather

Protective side mouldings

mud flaps

Heated nozzles

Textile mats

Tow bar

Super sport MFSW

Steel tail pipes

Spare wheel

Silver roof rails

Whatever it is, it will do quite a bit of town work but A road too, commonly covering 40 miles a day. It will also do quite a few long motorway stints and will tow a caravan with a 1300kg laden weight.

The SEL allows me to 'customise' to my liking from factory (within reason) but the L&K is as you'll see pretty much standard.

I love the idea of the roof, factory nav, heated windscreen and park assist of the L&k but really struggle with the interior colour.

I have had a very short run in a 5 speed 110 diesel and it actually seemed ok and with a DTUK box, we're looking at the thick end of 155bhp and dollop more torque. The 150 petrol I've not driven however the 105 TSi unit in the Rapid that I've got is a gem and fairly frugal returning 40mpg brim to brim.

The crucial bit? They cost on a monthly basis, exactly the same.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Dave

The TDI 110 4x4 we had in our last classic Yeti was a very usable motor, however the one thing that let the car down slightly was the Fabia front brake system; wouldn't want to up the bhp on one without an expensive upgrade to the anchors, so go for the TSI L&K.

My thoughts anyway,

TP

"I have had a very short run in a 5 speed 110 diesel..." You will be living with it for three years so I would suggest it would be well worth arranging for a longer test drive before you finally make your mind up.

For me rubber mats rather than textile every time and although I ordered mine with the sunroof under instructions from my other (better?) half I must admit I do like it - especially in the winter oddly enough when it makes the interior of the car much lighter. I've also got the heated screen which to be honest I've not found a lot of need for (the rapid clearing setting on the climate control seems to do a pretty good job most of the time) and it's a bit of a concern how susceptible the windscreen is to stone damage - one crack repaired already and several chips - so it must only be a matter of time before I need a new screen so that's probably something I'd forgo if ordering now.

I don't know what the previous 110PS Yeti was like to drive but having owned a new Euro 6 one for a few weeks now it wouldn't be my choice for towing a caravan or for 15k. a year really.

The power is pretty soft and really needs a 6-speed gear-box, especially if doing any sort of towing e.g. heavy trailers. Power and torque may be as per manufacturer figures but the Euro 6 diesel doesn't feel as strong to me as previous 2.0 litre diesels I've owned, you need to rev it to get much response.

I love the car and it suits me for what I bought it for but in your shoes I'd go for a 150PS diesel. Don't have any experience of the 1.4 petrol so don't know how good that is for caravan towing.

Edited by VAGCF

I would put the money for the panoramic into other things. Additional 2 years warranty, electric drivers seat, KESSY, side bags and heated screen.

And having purchased one, left the spare wheel off the list. If towing then might be wise to carry one.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Green line 2 estate, did you manage a drive first? If so, how was it ?

No test drive but going from comments from owners of the 1.2 I have no worries.

We went for electric seats,

Spare wheel,

12 speaker system,

Luggage net system,

Rear mud flaps,

KESSY

and heated washer jets.

I think that's all. 

150 TDI SEL for me.

You don't say where abouts you are but we found the heated screen and self parking virtually unused (except for demonstration purposes.)

The Dark Brown leather didn't grow on me ( the opposite .)

The in built sat nav was unhelpful (to put it mildly.)

The Sunroof,though nice, was the only thing we've ever had problems with on any Skoda ( wet carpets.)

Incidentally the Yeti SEL comes with door protector strips and nice twin chrome exhaust tips as standard.

• Like 1

Hi

Don't think the 'indoor' SEL comes with door protector strips? Chrome exhaust tips on both?

We're in North East Scotland and the windscreen could be used nights in a row especially as we leave early.

Interesting regarding the sunroof.

Are the 110 brakes still yeti set-up? Or was that pre-FL? Drums at the rear ?!

Does the 110 need Ad-blue? Potentially couldn't be faffed with that!

150 TDI SEL for me.

You don't say where abouts you are but we found the heated screen and self parking virtually unused (except for demonstration purposes.)

The Dark Brown leather didn't grow on me ( the opposite .)

The in built sat nav was unhelpful (to put it mildly.)

The Sunroof,though nice, was the only thing we've ever had problems with on any Skoda ( wet carpets.)

Incidentally the Yeti SEL comes with door protector strips and nice twin chrome exhaust tips as standard.

I've found the sat nav really good and glad I specced it.

Door strips - not now it doesn't unless you go for the Outdoor!  Brochure says it comes with body coloured door strips but the web-site says it doesn't, and mine didn't!

Edited by VAGCF

I think you're right about the door strips for an indoor.( I'd assued it was an outdoor.)

The heated windscreen  would be of use for your location but I'd bet you'd never use the self park.

Hi

Don't think the 'indoor' SEL comes with door protector strips? Chrome exhaust tips on both?

We're in North East Scotland and the windscreen could be used nights in a row especially as we leave early.

Interesting regarding the sunroof.

Are the 110 brakes still yeti set-up? Or was that pre-FL? Drums at the rear ?!

Does the 110 need Ad-blue? Potentially couldn't be faffed with that!

Chrome/stainless exhausts tips are an extra.

New Euro 6  110 and 150 diesels in the Yeti need Adblue. I was also a bit miffed about this but given the furore over the older engines I feel better now. Still a question mark over the latest diesels (maybe just the US but no absolute answers yet) but hopefully they won't need any recall work doing. 

Do you still think the 110PS is man enough for your needs?

Edited by VAGCF

I have done 2k mls in my 1.4tsi L & K and really like it. The engine/clutch/gearbox all work well together, but must point out the engine is not the ACT model as fitted to some others in the VAG range. 

How quiet is the 1.4? I've ordered one without being able to have a road test, but haven't seen many comments on here about it. If it's anything like as refined as the 1.2 TSI 110 engine/ 6 speed gearbox, but with more grunt, I'll be very happy.

• Like 1

I think you will be very happy. The engine is very quiet, only growls a little under hard acceleration. Road noise is well suppressed too. On a smooth motorway no need to raise your voice to converse at 'normal traffic' cruising speeds. 

After 3 years with a  Elegance loaded Greenline I would not like to do without:

Xenon headlights

Front + Back parking sensors

Folding mirrors

Climate Control.

Towbar

Spare wheel

Would have gone with Heated windscreen if it had been available.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input. Sometimes the smallest things put you completely off a car especially if you'd be looking at it all the time.

As you can no longer get the Boreal wood inserts for yeti, I'm likely forced to have the 'flood water brown' ones unless my dealer can get in as parts and fit retrospectively. They're looking in to it.

As you can no longer get the Boreal wood inserts for yeti, I'm likely forced to have the 'flood water brown' ones unless my dealer can get in as parts and fit retrospectively. They're looking in to it.

Brochure says the L&K comes with decorative inserts in piano black with L&K logo.

Is this not correct or is turboman6680 talking about something else?

Thanks for all the input. Sometimes the smallest things put you completely off a car especially if you'd be looking at it all the time.

I have the so called flood water brown inserts, The brochure pics are so wrong, but in real life they look Gun Metal, I prefer them to the alloy coloured ones in my old Yeti :thumbup:  

I like the L&K Piano Black and think they look okay with the Brown L&K Leather trim. I am so pleased you can't get the Boreal wood anymore they were dreadful and remind me of a 'so 60's Triumph Herald' :sick: .

Buy the car you like/need and any such minor detail like these you can have it vinyl wrapped there's such massive choice of coverings :yes:  

• Like 1