Am i too old?

greenfabiavrs

I'm 59 this year, had bikes since i was 17, had a break when the kids were young but back on bikes when I was 34, never looked back, my current bike is now coming up to 5 years old, but she is still sparkling and as good as the day my dealer delivered her.

Yamaha R1, feel the need for speed.

post-132346-0-75891300-1453498567_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Wow all these Oldies coming out of the woodwork...

Well i'm 69 this year, & still have 2 bikes.

Zrx1200s had for 10 years now.

Just traded my Aprilia Tuono (awesome bike) for a new Suzuki V Strom.

Doing a tour April to Spain & France.

Don't even think of age as you ride...Just ride.

Edited by Carlo diesel

• 11 months later...

Let's hear it for 69-year-olds! The best age, but it only lasts a year. Too bad...

To the point: I have alway ridden bikes. 160, 440, 750 and 1000cc Japanese machines of various brands. I have only owned a car for the past four years.

I have a Yamaha FJR1300 in the garage waiting for the weather to warm up. My wife and I tour Europe on it. Two-up with all the luggage, you really need the power, but the bike is too heavy for me. Always has been. The two times it has been on its side, I've needed help to lift it up.

Now I've bought this Sportline, the bike might have to go. I got the 220 bhp TSI 'cause I like something with passing power.

Nothing wrong with a Harley – they're great for cruising. Just don't expect to see anything in the rear view mirrors!

Not putting a damper on it, but perhaps a bit of caution is advised, as "Mid-life" crisis bikers feature well-up in the casualty lists.

Eyes bigger than stomach syndrome applies.

Brain thinks its still 18 years old, footloose and fancy-free, and that the world is still the same as when you were 18,  but the senses, speed of reaction and thinking and spatial awareness all decline with age and other road users behaviour is different from 25 years ago - some may say less considerate. More importantly, people's responsibilities are more extensive in later life.

Also, there's the cultural gap to be appreciated, as between  different attitudes exhibited towards car and motorcyclist.

Perhaps best done with as  part of  a M/C club to get up-to-date quickly ?

First time round, I did a local authority training course at the local Driving Centre.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Not putting a damper on it, but perhaps a bit of caution is advised, as "Mid-life" crisis bikers feature well-up in the casualty lists.

Nurses in emergency rooms refer to bikers as "organ donors". I learned this as I lay on the gurney in a neck brace waiting for x-rays. I had nothing more than a broken big toe, but the experience stopped me commuting in London: I was passing stopped traffic during rush hour when an unlicensed, uninsured teenager pulled a snap u-turn in front of me. BANG! He was trying to get his dad's car home before it was missed. 

All to say that you can be the best rider in the world and still come to grief. Cars are much safer. If you ride a bike, you will come off it. The incident above was the first time I couldn't walk away, though I've been down the road on several occasions. Oil slick. Icy road. The first time: my first big bike and just going too fast, having fun. Came off the low side at 60 mph and slid to a halt. Lucky.

Still, there's nothing better. Older guys might have more sense, take more caution. A 60-year-old neighbour just got a 750 Yamaha and you can't keep him off it. Even in this weather. Touring in the Alps is just glorious. Lorries, coaches? Just pass 'em. One of my best experiences was riding with my wife on a hired Harley Fat Bob in Kauai - 55 mph max speed limit, no helmet law. Beautiful.

So, yeah, get a bike and take it slow. Drive defensively, not aggressively. If I was God, I would require all would-be motorists to ride a bike for a year before they could apply for a driving license: riding a bike really makes you learn to anticipate what other drivers are likely to do. It's a bit Darwinian, too.

Sermon over.  :D

I'd say that the key to safe and continued bike use is strength and safety in numbers. Go on outings in a group or club and avoid the connurbations.

The main thing that I've noticed as an observing car driver (Ex-biker) is the change of attitude on the part of some road users to bikers. An attitude has grown up recently, when anything on two wheels is diss'd to varying degrees - witness the push-bike casualty rates in London. 

Not only that, but some of these 10 - ton construction/ garbage lorry drivers just don't give a 4 x X.

They'll even take on cars.

Within the last two years, I've been both driving and a passenger in somebody else's vehicle when, unannounced   a 10 ton lorry has just switched lanes, coming sideways-on into me/us. If you don't move, you get squished - in a car you may be able to  do a quick sideslip into another lane and still maintain control. On a bike, you'd either be under the 10 tonners wheels or sliding down the carriageway and with traffic densities being what they are today i.e. near 100% carriageway utilisation, its good night vienna.

The other thing, I noticed is that the performance differential between the average bike and sporty cars has diminished, and this encourages some of the latter group to  be disposed to taking-on lone bikers in traffic light grand prixes, which might not always be welcome at the frequency it occurs nowadays.

On the upside, it looks like that the safety togs available are well improved from the days when I was doing it. Make a sound investment.

just as well, even a low-speed accident, where I T- boned a car that had expectely stopped in my carriageway whilst executing a right turn at traffic lights across my path, completely split my full face helmet, ripped the sole off my molded boot and stove the front forks and frame in.

The other thing to remember is that motorcylists are invisible to car drivers turning across their path - particularly at T - junctions. Windscreens with a high degree of rake and badly placed pillars, don't help.

I think its something to do with the perceived mass of an oncoming motor-cycle compared with a car. I' m convinced that  the brain subconsciously downrates motorcycles in terms of perceived size versus actual size, impact damage and consequences. Also, car drivers tend to assume that all road users have the same degree of protection as they do.

So high visibility is the thing - although emulating the push-bike fraternity with the flashing LEDs on clothing to highlight the human form may be too "Uncool".

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Are you too old.....?

Well, you're wanting a Harley, so I'd have said you need to grow up!! :lol:

Seriously, you're not even at mid-life crisis age.

Get out there, do the training, get your licence, then head up a bike shop and try a few out.

Personally I'd suggest getting a cheap-ish runabout roadbike for a few months first - Something around the 400-600cc sort of bracket with balanced performance (ie not too sluggish or too powerful), and get some miles under your belt. This will give you a good feel for what matters to you most in a bike (likely very different from your 125 days) and you can choose from there.

I launched into Cruisers myself, but outgrew them far sooner than expected and finally found the sort of bike that fits me best - The Sports Tourer, of all things!!

Whenever I see a middle aged biker on a 'sports' bike and in a power rangers suit I usually cringe. I'm really not sure why, possibly because their belly is bigger than the bike itself.

But no you're never too old to get a bike, but my recommendation is do your training and licence and then test ride.

All the 'new' HD's I've ridden have been quite boring. I rented a Harley Fat Bob (not boy) in California and rode 12 hours east and back. It was a comfortable and capable bike, bit uninspiring!

Whenever I see a middle aged biker on a 'sports' bike and in a power rangers suit I usually cringe. I'm really not sure why, possibly because their belly is bigger than the bike itself.

But no you're never too old to get a bike, but my recommendation is do your training and licence and then test ride.

All the 'new' HD's I've ridden have been quite boring. I rented a Harley Fat Bob (not boy) in California and rode 12 hours east and back. It was a comfortable and capable bike, bit uninspiring!

It's a strange breed. I've got a few mates who are like that.. power rangers but in their 40's. Top people and ride for all the same reasons i do (im 24) but tbf some of them do take risks beyond what i'd take.. they'd paid off up until now... but you never know... 

HD? Uninspiring? Thats because they're the diesel of the bike world imo haha. 

The thing that gets me is that there are loads of people that have an opinion about them, however when you ask them what models they have ridden the vast majority of them haven't they are just repeating what someone else has said :D

They must be doing something right as they are the oldest manufacturer in continuous production.

The thing that gets me is that there are loads of people that have an opinion about them, however when you ask them what models they have ridden the vast majority of them haven't they are just repeating what someone else has said :D

They must be doing something right as they are the oldest manufacturer in continuous production.

Never ridden one myself, you're right. Went pillion on an old Roadking (P reg i think?) and what i think was a Dyna Glide or somethin. 2009 with the 1600 engine in anyway (:

Didnt make me want one.. lets just say that.

But it is all personal taste. Many people dont like Jap bikes etc.

Nout wrong with it :D. They do have a massive following dont they. Theyre the biggest statement over any manufacturer imo.

• Like 1

I've ridden a few older Harley's, circa 70's and 80's and they were so much fun, loud, unpredictable, threw oil out - I loved them.

The new ones I've hired and ridden are just 'comfortable'... Like the vanilla of the bike world. They serve a purpose, but obviously not mine.

• Like 1

No, I'll be with the Chelsea and Fulham Chapter so strictly H-D as will be the event, you won't be able to move in the St Tropez, Port Grimaud and La Croix Valmer areas for Harley's :)

I need to sort out some trips to do on the Triumph though for this year ;)

• Like 1

Absolutely never too old to start. I have been a biker since I was about 12 (on mates farm) and gave up when I got married. Decided to get a Bandit 600 when I was in my late 50's so we could meet up with my sister in law (from New Zealand) in los Angeles to hire a Harley and do an 11 day tour around California and Arizona. Since then have had a Honda VFR 800, Triumph 1050 Sprint and now have a Triumph Tiger 800 which is may favouite of all as it is so light and flexible which suits me as I will be 70 next year. My point is that I found the Harley to be a really heavy bike and caused me loads of problems with slow  turning and feet slipping on gravel. Once they go you just can't hold them.

Anyway, whatever you decide on, get yourself on a good training course and then think about joining with a biking club. Bikers are a great bunch of people and you will always find somebody willing to give you a hand.

you won't be able to move in the St Tropez, Port Grimaud and La Croix Valmer areas for Harley's :)

I drove to Port Grimaud then on to St. Tropez on one of my trips last year, lets just say the road is, er, interesting. Once you leave the A57 near Gonfaron it's nothing but bends for several kilometres, and at certain times of year when they are collecting the grapes there are tractors everywhere early in the morning not what you expect just around the corner.

You might want to take some spare floorboards in case you grind yours away!.

• Like 1

I took the Direct Access Course last year and am 10 years older than the OP. I had the benefit of professional training, passed the theory test 1st time unlike many of the teenagers, more than likely because my hazard perception has had 30 years of watching ( and probably doing some of my own) poor driving. If you do gain your full licence, although it will give you an awareness of danger from the biker's point of view, I heartily recommend additional training ASAP as you're only taught to pass the test. A Performance Plus 1 day course of a briefing and 3 track sessions at Cadwell Park cost £100 and taught me to read the road better as well as steer and brake more safely.

I took the Direct Access Course last year and am 10 years older than the OP. I had the benefit of professional training, passed the theory test 1st time unlike many of the teenagers, more than likely because my hazard perception has had 30 years of watching ( and probably doing some of my own) poor driving. If you do gain your full licence, although it will give you an awareness of danger from the biker's point of view, I heartily recommend additional training ASAP as you're only taught to pass the test. A Performance Plus 1 day course of a briefing and 3 track sessions at Cadwell Park cost £100 and taught me to read the road better as well as steer and brake more safely.

Well said that man!

I'm approaching 70 and still riding my BMW K1200RS. The heavy 'brick' is reliable, starts first time and gets me from A to B, but with a bit of bum ache now. I see HDs on the motorways at 60 mph in the slow lane when I blink, but not for long.  If it rains or there's frost and ice I use the VW cabriolet. A similar ' in the air' experience but less gear to wear and there's a heater. 

Motorcycles are all things to all people. You buy whats suits YOU. If you want comfy cruising bikes with built in weather protection go the big screen cruiser route, but don't expect high speed stability. If you want some fun and develop skills for the twisties, lean towards the sport or sport/tourer. Staying alive is most important - Ride Safe.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello, as you might have guessed I am getting on. The secret I find is to ride regularly and for me a light bike. It does not matter how old you are (I am 71) as long as you are fit, as much as how much you ride. I am out on my GSXR 1000 at least a couple of times a week and clock up around 8,000 miles a year on bikes. I appreciate it is not always easy when you work but there are too many bike owners with lovely 5 year old bikes with less than 5k on them, you see them in dealers every week. There is no substitute for regular riding to remain safe.

• Like 2

I have 34k on a 53 plate but the annual rate has been much lower in recent years. Just getting a few more miles this year and you really do appreciate being bike "fit".  

However my aspiration to ride nice smooth flowing lines is completely undermined by the crap roads where you end up thruppeny bitting them, well that's my excuse anyway:blush:

• Like 1