Real World MPG figures

Lee what is your driving style to get those figures?

Do you actively drive it very economically etc or just get in and drive to the road conditions?

I am half way through a tankful where I have been commuting at 65MPH (done 400+ miles so far) and the maxidot is showing an average of 53MPG (this is about 1MPG optimistic). Very boring driving this way but I thought I would experiment, oh and I have also had a regen in this 400 miles as well.

Yeah, this is through driving conservatively, mostly. Last tank included a four hundred mile round trip with a bit of rural road and town driving in between, I'd say speed on long runs is around 65 to 70, and anticipate when to coast as opposed to brake. Only use ACC through average speed camera roadworks (half the motorway network it would seem at the mo).

Now and again I give it some beans, but I don't whizz down the outside lane of the motorway tailgating like some Audi-driving sales rep!

I get paid 45p a mile for business use so what I dont spend on fuel pays the PCP monthly direct debit!

Edited by Leeboy
  • Like 1

Thanks, it’s useful to know how you ‘need’ to drive to obtain these figures.

FWIW mine is on ACC for 90 - 95% of the journey and in ‘Individual mode set to:

DCC - Sport

Steering - Sport

Everything else - Normal

Collect my car next Friday. Current car (Cmax 1.8tdci), the one before that (Avensis estate 2.0D4-D) and before that (Volvo S60 2.0t auto) I have always hit within a couple of mpg of claimed combined.

Be interested to see how Superb SE-L 150DSG goes.

Don't have the lightest right foot but am not crazy and do a lot of motorway driving.

Watch this space.....

Be keen to see what consumption you'll get as we have same engine and gearbox.

My current stats are in my signature below

Hi everyone, hope you are all well.

I have only had my Skoda Superb for just under a week, but I am averaging about 46 mpg.

On my journey home tonight which included motorway, 'B' roads and a little bit of congestion I managed 49 mpg.

(These are Maxidot figures).

This is from a 1.4 Tsi ACT SEL Exectutive. (Petrol........I know........I can't believe it either....... :heart: .....love this car!

Great to know - 1.4 tsi ACT probably the one for me in the future. I Like my current 1.4tsi and I'm sure this would be a step up 

Whilst awaiting a June delivery of my original order of 1.4 TSI Se-L Executive DSG Estate, I am driving the wrongly supplied 2.0l Diesel DSG delivered for 1st March.

The dealer ordered the wrong engine!

This should allow me to make an accurate comparison between the 1.4tsi and 2.0l diesel in exactly the same spec otherwise.

I filled up with Shell normal diesel today having covered 722 miles from new and used 13.89 galls (63.14 L) which I calculate to be 52 mpg. I am sure this will improve once the "running in" period is over.

Driving is steady and has included 150 miles of Motorway journeys as well as more local runs adhering to national speed limits in the main.

Once I have delivery of my 1.4TSI then I will resume the policy of using Shell Nitro Plus unleaded. I may have fallen for the marketing hype but my 2.0l diesel Passat DSG was latterly fuelled with Shell Nitro Plus Diesel with a consequent increase in MPG (about 5%)

Edited by DRCS

Whilst awaiting a June delivery of my original order of 1.4 TSI Se-L Executive DSG Estate, I am driving the wrongly supplied 2.0l Diesel DSG delivered for 1st March.

The dealer ordered the wrong engine!

This should allow me to make an accurate comparison between the 1.4tsi and 2.0l diesel in exactly the same spec otherwise.

I filled up with Shell normal diesel today having covered 722 miles from new and used 13.89 galls (63.14 L) which I calculate to be 52 mpg. I am sure this will improve once the "running in" period is over.

Driving is steady and has included 150 miles of Motorway journeys as well as more local runs adhering to national speed limits in the main.

Once I have delivery of my 1.4TSI then I will resume the policy of using Shell Nitro Plus unleaded. I may have fallen for the marketing hype but my 2.0l diesel Passat DSG was latterly fuelled with Shell Nitro Plus Diesel with a consequent increase in MPG (about 5%)

I use Shell Vpower Nitro or Tesco Greenenergy in my tsi  but have found recently the Shell seems to have got a lot more expensive both in the Shell price of petrol and the difference between the Nitro/ standard unleaded . When I last filled up Shell Vpower Nitro was £119.9 and Tesco Greenenergy was £103.9

On the other hand you bought a bigger, heavier car with 30% more power on tap, and only lost 17% of your old MPG. If you're doing at least 20,000 miles a year (which I guess you probably are - at least - if you're opting for diesels) then it'll be costing you an extra £1 a day / £7 a week on fuel compared to the Octy. Inconsequential compared to the depreciation and other costs of ownership, especially compared to the gains of a bigger, nicer car. As you said, NEDC should be taken with a bucket of salt, especially for diesel models. Just enjoy the car.

Except a mk2 octy is roughly the same weight as a mk3 superb at 1.3 tonnes....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Thought I would add my initial MPG thoughts... Car is a 7000-mile old 190 DSG 4x4 hatch.

Collected car from Newcastle on Saturday, Whitby->Swadlincote->Whitby on Monday. Mixed A road, Mway and local roads. Heavy traffic, some fast runs, definitely not going for economy :) Fairly laden car, 4 occupants and some luggage.

45.6mpg indicated on maxidot for the duration. Still haven't filled the tank up (it came fuelled to near max) but when I do I'll start taking some decent measurements.

If it is returning that, I'm pretty okay with it bearing in mind it's the 4x4 and the beefier engine. My wife would like it to be more as that's part of the reason I justified it...oops... :)

Edited by Kungfugerbil

Those running diesels should notice an improvement of MPG soon as the fuel stations in the UK start to take delivery of summer diesel.

Warmer weather will benefit everybody from a MPG perspective.

• Like 1

One thing I've noticed with my 1.4 tsi, is that when I loaded it with concrete blocks and 25kg bags of sharp sand at the weekend the additional weight certainly blunted the fuel economy on the run back from Andover Wickes to Amesbury. Guess diesel would be less sensitive to the car carrying extra weight.

First fill 55.8 on the maxidot, 52.1 calculated.

Great range, 658 miles and still above the red section of the fuel gauge.

This was normal mode, will try Eco mode this week if I can stick it.

Slight improvement on my S2 170 maybe but it's early days.

2nd fill, 55.1mpg measured, 58.0 mpg on maxidot - well pleased!

One thing I've noticed with my 1.4 tsi, is that when I loaded it with concrete blocks and 25kg bags of sharp sand at the weekend the additional weight certainly blunted the fuel economy on the run back from Andover Wickes to Amesbury. Guess diesel would be less sensitive to the car carrying extra weight.

Compared to my old Superb 1.9pd100  diesel my petrol Superb II proportionately also seems to use more fuel climbing hills

Too early for any real results, but we picked up our 2.0 TSI 220 today. The dealer threw in a tenner for us at the Tesco opposite (presumably 95 RON) and driving normally/gently on the way home we got 30.5mpg (Maxidot). Having brimmed her with VPower tonight I went for a very 'spirited' drive once the engine and oil was fully warm. I didn't break any speed limits (didn't need to!) but I didn't hang around, that's for sure.

Launching from the lights in a 60mph zone in manual mode is... interesting... to say the least. :D I left the others for dead, they were literally just little specks of light in my rear view mirror by the time I was at 60mph! I slowed down to 50ish and the next set of lights went red. The others caught me after a while, and the Merc in lane 2 that was originally next to me was looking the car up and down with his mouth wide open. You know, that 'WTH... I was just obliterated by... A ŠKODA?!' look... He caught me looking and gave me a positive thumbs up and a big smirk before driving off. Praise indeed!

After a 20 mile blast around, approx 50:50 town roads and A/M roads, I came home to the family and the maxidot is showing 32mpg. I had the DSG in D rather than S, and used manual mode only that once. The box was changing up around 3,000rpm on average, depending on throttle position of course. For pushing on that's great economy. The car reckons the brimmed tank (it took 62 litres) will give us 475 miles. Considering our traded in Mazda 6 2.0 NA petrol had a 60 litre tank and gave 375 to 400 miles a tank that's astoundingly good. Can't wait to take it over the moors/mountains this weekend to really run her in. :thumbup:

• Like 2

Took a drive to the coast today with the family, 76 miles round trip, got 66.7mpg on the maxidot which reads about 3mpg high so 63 mpg.

60-70 mph on the motorway, 50-60mph on B roads and a long stretch at 40mph through road works all with reasonably gentle acceleration.

Taking it easy but not holding anybody up.

1500 miles on the car to date.

Definitely better economy than the 170 S2 but not quite the same oomph.

When did winter diesel arrive at the pumps? It will be interesting to see if the info about winter/summer fuels pans out, but having driven diesels year round since the 1980's I can't say I have ever noticed any significant seasonal change.

I'm still getting very low 40's at 6,000 miles. I'm awaiting a response from DVSA as Skoda UK are keeping silent and the Dealer just isn't interested. I don't expect much back from any of them TBH. Progress Skoda (Letchworth) are a complete waste of time, are are just not interested or engaging at all.

Too early for any real results, but we picked up our 2.0 TSI 220 today. The dealer threw in a tenner for us at the Tesco opposite (presumably 95 RON) and driving normally/gently on the way home we got 30.5mpg (Maxidot). Having brimmed her with VPower tonight I went for a very 'spirited' drive once the engine and oil was fully warm. I didn't break any speed limits (didn't need to!) but I didn't hang around, that's for sure.

Launching from the lights in a 60mph zone in manual mode is... interesting... to say the least. :D I left the others for dead, they were literally just little specks of light in my rear view mirror by the time I was at 60mph! I slowed down to 50ish and the next set of lights went red. The others caught me after a while, and the Merc in lane 2 that was originally next to me was looking the car up and down with his mouth wide open. You know, that 'WTH... I was just obliterated by... A ŠKODA?!' look... He caught me looking and gave me a positive thumbs up and a big smirk before driving off. Praise indeed!

After a 20 mile blast around, approx 50:50 town roads and A/M roads, I came home to the family and the maxidot is showing 32mpg. I had the DSG in D rather than S, and used manual mode only that once. The box was changing up around 3,000rpm on average, depending on throttle position of course. For pushing on that's great economy. The car reckons the brimmed tank (it took 62 litres) will give us 475 miles. Considering our traded in Mazda 6 2.0 NA petrol had a 60 litre tank and gave 375 to 400 miles a tank that's astoundingly good. Can't wait to take it over the moors/mountains this weekend to really run her in. :thumbup:

How many miles have you done on your brand-new car?

DC

When did winter diesel arrive at the pumps? It will be interesting to see if the info about winter/summer fuels pans out, but having driven diesels year round since the 1980's I can't say I have ever noticed any significant seasonal change.

I'm still getting very low 40's at 6,000 miles. I'm awaiting a response from DVSA as Skoda UK are keeping silent and the Dealer just isn't interested. I don't expect much back from any of them TBH. Progress Skoda (Letchworth) are a complete waste of time, are are just not interested or engaging at all.

Winter fuel is delivered from mid-Nov to mid-March.

How many miles have you done on your brand-new car?

DC

As I said, not many. Around 100 at present as we didn't manage to make it out this weekend. That's having babies for you! I certainly didn't buy this engine for its economy but it's nice to see it won't be ruinous as, nice as it is, it doesn't have the performance to justify the 10 to 20 mpg bracket. If it continues giving 30mpg mostly around town I'll be happy. With our driving conditions even the 150 diesel only gave 26mpg most days so the 220 is more than economical for what it is. :)

• Like 1

I was driving enthusiastically ...

Why am I not surprised?

Hope both you & the car enjoyed the ride.....

I did have a late-night scoot in the EOS last month, using Manual mode with the paddles, it's quicker than I thought.

Don't often get anywhere near to the redline in normal driving, but the roads were deserted so it got wound up in 2nd & 3rd, good fun.

DC

• Like 1

As I said, not many. Around 100 at present as we didn't manage to make it out this weekend. That's having babies for you! I certainly didn't buy this engine for its economy but it's nice to see it won't be ruinous as, nice as it is, it doesn't have the performance to justify the 10 to 20 mpg bracket. If it continues giving 30mpg mostly around town I'll be happy. With our driving conditions even the 150 diesel only gave 26mpg most days so the 220 is more than economical for what it is. :)

My Mk 2 managed 38.3 mpg last night on a house to house run, app 20 miles mostly on dual carriage-ways, cruising in the 70's, max speed noted at 82.

Your 220 should be cheap enough to run when it's been run-in. 

• Like 1

Just done my first fill up since collection.  Car had done 533.8miles and put in 64.71 litres at £1.159 for 97RON.  Doing the calculations I am seeing 37.5MPG or a cost of 14p per mile which is pretty damn close to my 11 year old Mondeo 1.8 with half the horse power.  Very happy with that 

• Like 2