Stopping for a Road Workers

nokiauk

Is this ever required except in Stop/Go board situational?

Example situation today, was at a set of temp 3-way lights, had been waiting approx 5+ minutes as other roads had their turn, I was first to go at green light so I accelerated away when light turned to green, approx 100 yards later I was motioned to stop by 2 workers probably so they could move a barrier/equipment??

I thought this was crazy so I just accelerated past them, Land Rover behind stopped and I never seen them again so they must have been held up a while.

What's the norm in this situation? Why should I get held up on a green in the middle of roadworks?

One should f'ing well stop.. there couldve been an A26 dumper with failed brakes coming through that youre unaware of. A gas main may have been ruptured. Land slip...

if in the TM system,you are being guided througha work site ergo you should be aware of the fact that things change and if flagged or stopped you should act as instructed generally its for your own good.

• Like 1

Saw the "like" mac, but like Auric & others I drive in worksites to the rule"before proceeding, a clear understanding etc MUST be arrived at".

When getting a green light / GO sign at roadworks it means proceed with caution as you are in roadworks as there are workers, plant and equipment etc.

• Like 3

Green- NOT JUST AT ROADWORKS --GREEN means you may go on if the way is clear   https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/light-signals-controlling-traffic

it used to be worded, "GREEN- PROCEED ONLY IF SAFE TO DO SO "

Always stop. On at least four separate occasions the temporary traffic lights on a major road near me have given green lights to all four directions at the same time, instead of one direction in sequence as on the signs.

The OP might be able to argue that the workers in mid-section were not "duly qualified and authorised to carry out traffic control" but I really wouldn't want to try that defence in court unless neither of them were in hi-vis.

Well I doubt they were flagging you down for a laugh. You really should have stopped.

Unless you were delivering pizza etc then you're except from all road traffic laws apparently (he says with a sarcastic sneer at the ****er that booted it past his kids nursery yesterday).

Well I doubt they were flagging you down for a laugh. You really should have stopped.

Unless you were delivering pizza etc then you're except from all road traffic laws apparently (he says with a sarcastic sneer at the ****er that booted it past his kids nursery yesterday).

I've noticed that...

Red light, means faster, the pepperoni is getting cold?

Is this ever required except in Stop/Go board situational?

Example situation today, was at a set of temp 3-way lights, had been waiting approx 5+ minutes as other roads had their turn, I was first to go at green light so I accelerated away when light turned to green, approx 100 yards later I was motioned to stop by 2 workers probably so they could move a barrier/equipment??

I thought this was crazy so I just accelerated past them, Land Rover behind stopped and I never seen them again so they must have been held up a while.

What's the norm in this situation? Why should I get held up on a green in the middle of roadworks?

Perhaps it is time you decided to join something like the IAM or RoSPA and learned to drive defensively and with respect to other road users.

I thought you got +500 for hitting road workers, it is so rare to see them out and about.

JOKE ALERT

Perhaps round your way, but I see a lot of road workers on my travels around the UK through work.

Pretty much every area has extensive roadworks going on.

I think the joke is that although there are plenty of roadworks going on, you rarely see any road workers.

And it's reasonably true. IMO at least.

Re the OP. The sensible thing would have been to stop, but most of us get impatient at times. It's no excuse though.

Edited by Tilt

Re the OP. The sensible thing would have been to stop, but most of us get impatient at times. It's no excuse though.

Thinking a little more on this though, only the OP is aware of how much he could see of what was going on, and some (weak minded) road workers may take pleasure in holding up traffic, thinking it gives them power over others. (not saying this is the case).

On a slightly different note, I have also seen temporary traffic lights in Sheffield, placed all of 20 yards apart, set around a generator on a normal road, no junctions, just a bit of an incline. Ridiculous imo.

And I am sure all of us (the ones of us with better things to do) get hissed off sat at red lights when there is not another car in sight. (for as far as the eye can see, in some cases).

Edited by Tilt

I think the joke is that although there are plenty of roadworks going on, you rarely see any road workers.

And it's reasonably true. IMO at least.

Last summer I drove through the multiple roadworks on the M5, stretching from the M50 junction down past Stroud; I drove through there about 6 times in the space of a month, and never saw a single workman, morning, noon or night.

• Like 1

Last summer I drove through the multiple roadworks on the M5, stretching from the M50 junction down past Stroud; I drove through there about 6 times in the space of a month, and never saw a single workman, morning, noon or night.

Did they have the sign "You might not see us but we're here"?

Should have been placed next o a pub for accuracy.