Yeti with Columbus RNS510 retrofit rear view camera

dasower

Well this all started last year when I kept getting ribbed by neighbors with those quasquis, going on about how they come with reversing cams as standard, and it seems most vehicles from 2014 onwards seem to have them now.

Got kit from ebay :- £69 it is only the LOW LINE kit the HIGH LINE needs connecting to the CAN bus, not really needed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OEM-Rear-V...UAAOSwGvhT7dVP

with intention of fitting myself, anyway that didnt happen as I could not find anyone to programme the RNS 510 to use the camera. So after much googling and emailing I had some prices which put me of for a while, cheapest was around £400 and somewhere in Suffolk, not practical or affordable. 

Saw name of installer, in Huddersfield ( Automotive gadgets ) who was ok to complete the install and set up the RNS 510 for a very reasonable price, said it would take 3 to 4 hrs. I took the car and kit I had from ebay and they had a look and said ok fetch it in tomorrow. 

To fit the camera/boot release switch unit it had to have a bigger hole cut in the metalwork, I said I would do that partly to save time and also I could make sure it was sealed and lined up correctly, it had to be set to the left to make the image central on the display.

Anyway the work was completed on time and camera works a treat, it has the fixed guide lines in yellow and the original OPS is still active and selectable on the screen. 

So for less than £200 the camera is now working, probably invalidated any remaining warranty though !

My personal Opinion on this is :-

If you have Front & Rear parking sensors, then what IS the point of having both, the sensors give a better indication of distance that a fish eye lens with markings that i am suspicious of accuracy, so should only really be used as a general guide.

If you do not have rear parking sensors then i can understand.

Hope you have found it a useful item .

• 1 month later...

The camera kit from eBay came with all instructions and fitted without problems.

Wanted reversing camera as an aid to reversing into my garage as recently there was near disaster with something I forgot the pick up off the floor, it would not have shown up on the rear sensors.

Don't have front sensors on my 5L, usually have co driver to warn me of any impending objects or bad driving !  :x

Now looking for some VCDS info for my 5L, was thinking of a FL but don't like the new look.

Anyone know if I can have the DRL's on with the HEADLIGHTS is there a code in the VCDS ? also there is the annoying situation where you can lock the vehicle with the fob but have to wait a couple of seconds and press and hold the fob again to fold the side mirrors, anyone got a fix for that ?

Neighbor has new sportage and has been very keen to show me all the new features. :envy:  

Please don't have the DRL on with the headlights... They aren't designed for night time use and will cause glare for other drivers.

For the folding mirrors, I think it should work if you just press and hold the lock button until they fold - no need for a second press :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

What does 5L stand for in a yeti ??

Just noticed this reply, the 5L is the YETI variant code, the latest are FL, other variants are available !