Stop start

Apologies if this has been done before but on a short trip this evening taking in 3 or 4 sets of Traffic lights the stop start didn't activate, it was Definitely switched on and when at the lights the symbol appeared in the MFD, any ideas? Thanks in advance

Edited by MRJSVRS

Many reasons. ..

Not enough battery charge

Cabin not to requested temp

Etc etc

The manual explains all the conditions for stop start.

This. As someone else on here once said, it needs to be a full moon during a leap year before the stop/start even thinks about coming on. If the symbol in the MFD is the A with a '/' through it then essentially it is acknowledging that you're doing the correct thing to activate the stop/start function, but that the conditions are not appropriate. The same symbol ('A' in a circle) but without the line through it comes on the screen when the system is actually activated.

If you've caned it down (or in your case, up) to Scotch Corner and back and you slam it into neutral and it still doesn't activate then it's probably buggered.

When you say the symbol came on, you mean at the top of the MFD display?

Are you sure it didn't have a line through the normal symbol (meaning StopStart is not available)?

In the entertainment unit you have a Stop/Start information screen:

Car->View->Vehicle Information -> Stop/Start Symbol

This will tell you why its not stopping and most are normal reasons that don't indicate a failure.

There is a full explaination in the owners manual.

I would expect StopStart was not available because of something simple, like climate control or air conditioning request.

Keep an eye on the StopStart information screen & next time it doesnt stop, let us know what the messages are.

The two most common causes for Stop/Start being unavailable seem to be the DPF doing a regen, which you can't do anything about, and the cabin not being warm enough early on in a journey. For the latter, I just tap the button to turn the climate control off, and the engine stops.

So - simple explanation please - how do you disable stop/start on a 1.8 L&K TSi? The fuel saving isn't worth the aggro at the lights ...

Agreed! A member said you can disconnect a battery lead that feeds it but I haven't tried that.

I just press the button on the lower (horizontal) section of the dashboard every time I start the car.

It then behaves normally until you switch off and restart again.

Why is stop/start a problem with a manual gearbox? I barely notice it operating.

Not a problem, I just  find it irritating. I just like the engine to idle quietly till I pull away, not fire up every five minutes (in town!)

As someone said above, for the difference in petrol costs I can do without it. Also I prefer not to have the starter constantly made to work when it just isn't necessary.

(I have to admit I am not very "green" minded and think the eco lifestyle is largely rubbish !!)

Don't really understand all of the above. My own experience (limited) of S/S on my own VRS TSI DSG is that:

1 You can switch it off if you don't like it using the button in the centre console. Not a problem, just like looking in the mirror, selecting a gear or fixing the seatbelt. The only time I tend to do this is if I'm likely to be going through a bunch of roundabouts.

2 It works reliably and effectively in very slow moving, nose-to-tail traffic just by pressing a bit harder than really necessary on the brake pedal. Start up is virtually immediate just by releasing the brake.

3 If you don't want it to work at all (despite the system being on), just brake gently and it doesn't kill the engine.

Don't know if earlier incarnations work the same - this is a very recent new car. But if they do, I can't see anything to complain about. I was sceptical about it originally but found it to work really well.

Martin

Exactly how I find it as well.

• Like 1

But with an automatic you tend to press the brake pedal anyway while you are stopped.

It is a little different with a manual, as you often don't want to sit there with the clutch depressed so you go into neutral and use the handbrake.

But with an automatic you tend to press the brake pedal anyway while you are stopped.

It is a little different with a manual, as you often don't want to sit there with the clutch depressed so you go into neutral and use the handbrake.

Well, like I said, just press the button then. No problem! :sun:

Martin

• Like 1

Centre console in front of the gear shift.

Have a quick read of the section in the manual.

Drivers are happy for the low road tax, but dont like the stop start. ...

I dont have a problem with it, saves me some fuel.

• Like 2

Changing the heater setting reactive a the engine. I like it actually but the traffic lights close together an in winter you wonder how much good it's actually doing the battery.

It wont do stop start unless the battery is healthy, that's one of the checks.

• Like 2

Ha, I turn it off with the key if it doesn't turn itself off!!! Especially if it's regenerating, I'm not paying for that whilst idling!

Dont recommend interrupting a regen, you'll break your DPF.