Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

Do you know what the difference will be after the fix?

I don't think even VAG do until they get to grips with the problem. They have mentioned  re America of  replacing the engines and  elsewhere the fitting of smaller  injectors and changes to the exhaust systems, which I doubt will enhance the performance!.  Plus of course, can we trust what they tell us re the effects of their  changes.

Ooohhh, goody, keep us posted!

When you have found a car manufacturer that cares more for their customers than for their profits make sure that we all know about it :)

Oh and do not forget to let us all know how you get on when other manufactures get found out in the future as they will ALL be checked..... This is just the start of the "**** hitting the fan" for a lot of others... ;) 

I am happy knowing Yes, they have been found out, Yes, they are going to sort it, and Yes please I will buy another if they keep me happy... 

• Like 3

Smaller injectors -> less inertia -> more injections per cycle -> same performance and less pollution.

That's what they gonna change high pressure pump also.

The notion of an uninterrupted flame front must mean that ignition starts at a single point and then follows a path  down into the cylinder until the majority of the cylinder contents are combusted. But like a single light shining down from the ceiling, the bits nearest the ceiling and furthest away from the light don't get well illuminated, diito the combustible material in the "Shoulders" of the combustion chamber. That and the danger of creating competing flame fronts  in the same cylinder space e.g. such as with "pinking" will always limit the efficiency of the current design.

Perhaps a way round this is to do what was done with the boilers of steam engines - turn the top of the cylinder into lots of smaller tubes, all with their own  fuel admittance and ignition sources and synchronise the action to very fine limits - narrow, pyramid shaped combustion chambers,  carbon free fuel and laser emitters replacing spark plugs ? . . . but that's not for now.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

Ooohhh, goody, keep us posted!

When you have found a car manufacturer that cares more for their customers than for their profits make sure that we all know about it :)

Probably won't find one but I not going to shrug and say " oh well I suppose it's just the way it is" I and countless others where conned and if you think that's ok thats upto you.i don't find it acceptable and to blame two software engineers for the whole situation is beyond belief.
  • Like 1

The notion of an uninterrupted flame front must mean that ignition starts at a single point and then follows a path  down into the cylinder until the majority of the cylinder contents are combusted. But like a single light shining down from the ceiling, the bits nearest the ceiling and furthest away from the light don't get well illuminated, diito the combustible material in the "Shoulders" of the combustion chamber. That and the danger of creating competing flame fronts  in the same cylinder space e.g. such as with "pinking" will always limit the efficiency of the current design.

Perhaps a way round this is to do what was done with the boilers of steam engines - turn the top of the cylinder into lots of smaller tubes, all with their own  fuel admittance and ignition sources and synchronise the action to very fine limits - narrow, pyramid shaped combustion chambers,  carbon free fuel and laser emitters replacing spark plugs ? . . . but that's not for now.

Nick

I just wanted to say that smaller injectors doesn't have to mean less consumption or less performance, just more perfect dosing and timing

...maybe...

Well if smaller injectors are the answer why didn't VW put them in in the first place instead of using cheat software or is there something inherently wrong with this engine design?

What I want to see is

1. Skoda updating my engine software so the cheat is no longer present and I then have proof its been fixed for when I sell the car.

2. I'm not convinced the update wont effect my performance so I want a cheque from VAG as compensation.

3. If the value of my car has gone down then I also want a cheque from VAG to compensate me for the loss.

I was going to say I would like to see Angela Merkel hang the perpetrators from the Brandenburg Gate as a deterrent to other car manufacturers but I suppose that's going too far!!!

I am not defending VAG, not at all. I just want discussion to go in some rational way.
VAG was 10y in delay with Common-Rail technology. This was their first commercial CR engine. Probably they become more experienced or did some copy/paste eg. from FIAT, and have developed better CR. For me, here in Austria, it is very noticeable that my 1.6 tdi 2010 is much more louder than friends 1.6 tdi 2014. We haven't compare parts, but it is obvious, his engine runs much smoother. So, there is some difference.
For me, it is OK to change injectors and high pressure pump, for free, because my car is 4.5y old with 50kkm, but ONLY if performance will stay same.

Edited by ppejic

So the VAG report in auto express say software change in 2.0l but hardware change on 1.6l!

Some speculation only those 2.0 with SCR will be software only. The others requiring some hardware too.

Those like us with a 1.6 appear to have the most to worry about with the rumoured work VAG will be doing to our cars.

• Like 1

Some speculation only those 2.0 with SCR will be software only. The others requiring some hardware too.

Those like us with a 1.6 appear to have the most to worry about with the rumoured work VAG will be doing to our cars.

What European Euro 5 2.0 VAG engines have SCR?

The problem I have with this statement.

That suggests only 2.0 EA189's with SCR can pass Euro 5 but what about the EA189 2.0's that passed Euro 5 without cheat software or SCR? Like the one fitted to my Passat?

We all know the EA189 is going to require SCR for the US but that certainly isn't the case for Europe.

Lee

Exactly, to what extent we have been duped remains to be seen and hopefully the lawyers will hammer  until they get satisfaction, on our behalf. But  that we have been duped is not in doubt because of which existing V A G Group vehicle owners have had our confidence shaken to whom must be added would be intending purchasers who will at least think twice now. Values will be affected and Leasing companies will be hit .  Someone here thinks he knows more than  the Autocar  staff, but which I doubt, despite the length of time he has posted on this w/site.  When one reads of the autobox problems, this Fabia expose', the problems with the drive shaft of oil pump of the PD engines, one wonders re VAG's competence. The first diesel I bought was a Passat estate, one lady owner ( genuine! ) with 27k  on the clock. By the time I sold it to a friend, who, had it checked over by a BMW  mechanic relative, it had  done 67k. I have a friend who managed a fleet of vehicles (500 ) who naturally had many friends in the trade and he told me 10 years ago it is well known in the trade 1/3rd of V W engines  "blow -up " at circa 85,000 miles. The one I sold to my friend did get beyond that mileage but it did go bust, and so did the replacement engine. So V W need to watch their P's and Q's, 'cos it ain't all rosy in their  garden. My faith has been pulled back quite a bit and whereas I was intending to change my Superb next year and go petrol, I  may well even go further  and depart the V A G Group's products.

Byeee!

I don't think even VAG do until they get to grips with the problem. They have mentioned  re America of  replacing the engines and  elsewhere the fitting of smaller  injectors and changes to the exhaust systems, which I doubt will enhance the performance!.  Plus of course, can we trust what they tell us re the effects of their  changes.

More speculation.

No-one outside VAG knows anything yet, be they Press reporters or people posting on here.

As and when VAG make a statement can any of us make an informed and sensible decision.

Byeee!

More speculation.

No-one outside VAG knows anything yet, be they Press reporters or people posting on here.

As and when VAG make a statement can any of us make an informed and sensible decision.

You off?  Parting is such sweet sorrow.  No more  gripping tales re shopping.

I'm off as well... almost 2000 posts and a vast majority are not imterested in the problem or the solution...

Just how big a bloody cheque will I get!!!

Let's hope the ones concerned get there big cheques and an even bigger solicitors bill!!

Whilst a few of us are happy to support Skoda now and in the future...

Quite!

Well said.

I'll be worried if vw start changing injectors, if you look at the issues some owners faced with the pd170 injectors recall a few years back.

I'm sure if this indeed a true fix for some cars, prices will dive.

As you say everyone still has the PD170 in their minds which isn't particularly reassuring for owners

The sad thing is all the VWG employees & Contractors that are going to seriously suffer.

World wide, the hard and honest workers

Hopefully even though it will only bring in Hundreds of Millions, but who knows, the assets of those Board Members involved will be seized world wide.

They should be when prosecuted, & if found guilty of whatever law breaking happened to  never be allowed to drive anything other than a 1.0 59 hp 3 Cylinder VW Engined vehicle Seat or Skoda.

• Like 2

VAG have been caught out by a government of a country that has heavy penalties for this sort of thing,but when they had problems across their range of engines with reliability and high oil consumption they lied and cheated to their customers and only started treated customers in the states with respect when class action was raised,and I wonder how many customers were lied to and led to believe that it was normal for engines to consume gallons of oil,have rattley timing chains and complete engine failures,corrosion to body panels.to a lesser degree most manufactures have failures but it's not the customer fault and customer should be treated with respect and by cheating I am wondering what damage up-to, including and after the mods for the emissions is going to have on the engines,because if there are any issues are VAG going to say don't worry sir/madam it's our fault we will replace it all free of charge asap or as has happened to date lie and cheat and make it difficult as possible for the customers,I hope all car manufacturing companies learn from this in more ways than one and even if I have been fortunate with both my Skodas to date and been great to own I think the VAG giant can learn or fall from this .

• Like 1

Almost 2000 posts and a vast majority are not interested in the problem or the solution...

Just how big a bloody cheque will I get!!!

Let's hope the ones concerned get their big cheques and an even bigger solicitors bill!!

Whilst a few of us are happy to support Skoda now and in the future...

Well said sir!

It is unbelievable the way people are reacting to this undoubted dishonesty by VW in a cynical money-grabbing opportunistic manner - rather like the car manufacturer about which they whinge so much to be frank.

Smaller injectors -> less inertia -> more injections per cycle -> same performance and less pollution.

That's what they gonna change high pressure pump also.

On our Pug it's called - stratified charge ... up to 3 per cycle

And

It is clean

And

Powerful

And

Exactly the same as a diesel.