Breaking VW Emissions Scandal -Mk I

Ryeman

If the "fix" results in everything that you are hoping for, it raises the question of why the "cheat" was necessary in the first place.

You are correct of course but the cheat was formulated some years ago.

I'm hoping that several years on VAG have the expertise/experience to come up with a better program.

If they can't and all they do is make our engines lower spec then there will be reduced resale values, class actions and all the bad press that goes with it.

I just hope VAG have got a finger they can pull out!!

I've just done two measurements of fuel tanks at 50 litres per full tank, it done 720 and 740 miles at 11 gallons approx so that's 65mpg over the tank fills approximately, so if VW can not guarantee this economy I will not carry out the "fix" , it's just had fuel treatment of BG244 and is much better also

• Like 1

Looks like my Polo maybe affected by the CO2 issue. I always thought that greenhouse gases were always the biggest issues on the planet?

Nitrogen Oxides and PMs will kill dozens of people today.

CO2, (if we do not keep the global warning to less than 2C or so), will kill millions in a few decades time.   

economy and performance

There now is the possibility mpg figures have been falsified, see Telegraph article :-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/columnists/steve-huntingford/vw-scandal-faked-mpg-figures-would-be-the-most-damaging-revelation-yet/?WT.mc_id=e_DM63765&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Car_New&utm_source=email&utm_medium=Edi_Car_New_2015_11_17&utm_campaign=DM63765

Hi guys, over a hundred pages on this thread, must be a record. Having followed it all the way through I have come to the following conclusions.

1. VAG deserves to be fined for using the cheating software and lots of VAG butts need kicking for allowing it to get to this stage. This seems to be in hand but could go on for years.

2. IF the speculation on this forum is correct and the VAG ‘Fix’ means that we end up with an inferior engine then the knock on effect will be felt in poor resale values. That means class actions against VAG and loss of customer and dealer confidence which will take years to correct. Also loads of customers refusing to have the ‘Fix’ leading to further problems.

3. The answer as I see it is for VAG to ensure that the ‘Fix’ actually makes the engines ‘slightly’ better so those affected (like me) will want to have it done. The ‘Fix’ should give a slight increase in bhp, (but not so much that it effects insurance), small improvement in mpg and reductions in CO2 and Oxides of Nitrogen. That’s way customers will want to have the Fix because they will have a better vehicle. Customer and dealer confidence will increase, no detrimental effect on resale values so no class actions. VAGs reputations will increase and we have a win all round situation.

4. Trouble is that it will take at least 6 months to work out the Fix and do the testing to make sure it works. Plus a further 12 months to apply it to all the affected vehicles. In the meantime speculation will increase and folks will assume the Fix will be detrimental. VAG need to reassure affected owners NOW that their engines will be just as good if not better after the fix and perhaps issue some preliminary engine stats before and after so we can see the slight improvement.

5. Of course this assumes that VAG can actually provide a Fix that will make the engines better. I would hope that technology improvements means that this is possible. Because if they can’t then we are all jiggered!

IF that is possible they would have done it in the first place and not have had to resort to  deceit software? 

2. Of course this assumes that VAG can actually provide a Fix that will make the engines better. I would hope that technology improvements means that this is possible. Because if they can’t then we are all jiggered!

IF that is possible they would have done it in the first place and not have had to resort to  deceit software? 

Yes Tony but the original software was developed 5 years ago, who know what they can develop now.

PS: It still amazes me that VAG kept the cheat undetected for so long!

I think the understatement of CO2 was also one of less fuel consumed per km/mile ie you're right less economy more CO2 per km/mile.

They are directly related.

Yes Tony but the original software was developed 5 years ago, who know what they can develop now.

PS: It still amazes me that VAG kept the cheat undetected for so long!

It took an NGO to accidentally expose the cheat whilst, ironically attempting to 'promote' VW's concept of the 'clean diesel'......with 'friends like them' who needs enemies.

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20151117/ANE/151119911/vws-fix-for-rigged-1-6-liter-engines-waits-for-german-approval?cciid=email-ane-daily

"FRANKFURT -- Volkswagen Group is a step closer to finding a hardware fix for 1.6-liter diesel engines with software that can cheat official tests measuring harmful NOx emissions.

VW has delivered an update on its technical solution for about 540,000 VW Group cars in Germany with the affected 1.6-liter engines, a spokesman for the country's Federal Motor Transportation Authority (KBA) said on Tuesday.

The KBA is now examining the solution, which was presented by the automaker to transport ministry officials at VW's headquarters in Wolfsburg on Monday, the spokesman said. He could not say when the evaluation will be completed.

VW has said up to 11 million of its EA 189 diesel engines sold worldwide by its VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat brands may be affected by software manipulation. The engines sizes range from 1.2-liters to 2.0-liters.

In Europe, VW plans to recall 8.5 million vehicles equipped with the engines to make them compliant with type approval regulations. While most versions of the EA 189 family may  need only a software update, the 1.6-liter units will likely need a more costly upgrade involving hardware and software fixes.

Volkswagen CEO Matthias Mueller has indicated that certain parts such as the engine’s injection nozzle would need to be replaced and a larger catalytic converter installed. As a result it may take until September of next year before parts manufacturers can supply the necessary components to VW."

So customers wanting to sell or px a VAG are stuffed for the next 12 months and what if there are any adverse effects after the modification and will we get a 3 year warranty against any defects that might occur with the changes they do,this could take years to resolve.

So customers wanting to sell or px a VAG are stuffed for the next 12 months and what if there are any adverse effects after the modification and will we get a 3 year warranty against any defects that might occur with the changes they do,this could take years to resolve.

We do indeed appear to be stuffed. This is why I posted the other day that VAG should contact customers individually via dealers. Ironically my VW and Skoda conglomerate did contact me this week. They said and I quote:

"Here at *********** Volkswagen we're passionate that you receive first class customer service. With that in mind, here's a link to a short personal thank you, created just for you."

Thing was, it was so personal that they sent it CC to over 200 other customers and so sent out all of our personal email addresses! I did not take kindly to having my email address sent to all and sundry and I don't suppose the others did either. The link was only for a video sales pitch but it was by the salesman so I can't post it here.

In my opnion VAG need to do a lot better in terms of contacting us and do it soon. A year's hiatus is not doing to make people 'get over' the scandal even if that is what VAG hope!

• Like 1

Thing was, it was so personal that they sent it CC to over 200 other customers and so sent out all of our personal email addresses! I did not take kindly to having my email address sent to all and sundry and I don't suppose the others did either. The link was only for a video sales pitch but it was by the salesman so I can't post it here. 

That's an offence under data protection law - remember the issue when a clinic wrote to its patients about HIV earlier this year, using 'cc:' ? I'd be tempted to use that as a bargaining chip!

That's an offence under data protection law - remember the issue when a clinic wrote to its patients about HIV earlier this year, using 'cc:' ? I'd be tempted to use that as a bargaining chip!

I reckon there is a chance that one or two of the 200 odd addresses will belong to members of the legal profession so they will probably be having their ear bent by now. As this was done by sales staff I didn't feel like making a big fuss, legal or not though i did reply to the effect that I was not happy about it.

The question of a 3 year guarantee on the " amendments " is a very good point, one I hope the solicitors acting on behalf of  owners, pick  up and incorporate it in their charge against V A G

The question of a 3 year guarantee on the " amendments " is a very good point, one I hope the solicitors acting on behalf of  owners, pick  up and incorporate it in their charge against V A G

If by 'amendments' you mean the likely harder working ancillaries that's what I've been banging on about.

But seeing VW AG haven't taken the opportunity to grab a mere smidgen of good publicity for once , I expect nothing of the sort because the work represents a nice little earner for dealerships which HQ, on behalf of the shareholders, doesn't want to pay for.

The Peugeot triple is the way ahead.

If by 'amendments' you mean the likely harder working ancillaries that's what I've been banging on about.

<SNIP>

I have no doubt that anyone so concerned about honesty as you clearly are would not hesitate to mention that you had fitted a tuning box if you claimed under warranty for any repair work.

After all, you do have "likely harder working ancillaries" and honesty is a two-way street.

I have no doubt that anyone so concerned about honesty as you clearly are would not hesitate to mention that you had fitted a tuning box if you claimed under warranty for any repair work.

After all, you do have "likely harder working ancillaries" and honesty is a two-way street.

What about the others?.

It's a statement that VW make in doing nothing.

Edited by Ryeman

What?

There are a vast majority who wouldn't have a box,but they don't matter?.

Plus

Seeing the ancillaries will be tuned for less NOx, as opposed to power I would expect a 'box' to be a reducer of EGR valve work for power as opposed to an increase to reduce NOx.......which may get others to ponder an added benefit of a box.

Edited by Damo