VW Emissions Scandal Thread V2

Outofthi5world

Not just all sorting it's self out and onwards and upwards to a brave new green world of the maybe sometimes 'EV Micro-Bus' and other concept vehicles they like the media to talk about and take up internet space.

'Emissions Scandal a thing of the past, nothing to see move on now please.'

Looks like the VW Group need to do more than just spin how well they are getting on with The Fix in the UK.

Then there are Scottish Law firms getting prepared for a Class Action, 

and the new VW CEO appears to be getting more drawn into the Conspiracy to defraud while he was at Audi.

Up in smoke_ the VW emissions ‘fix’ has left our car undriveable _ Money _ The Guardian.mhtml

Karma.

Anybody with a modicum of technical engineering could see that the fix for the Audi/SEAT/Skoda/VW diesel was snake oil, the laminar flow device looked like it had been knocked up by a first year apprentice student in hist first term.   If the governments, like the UK, will not give consumers justice for fear of upsetting Germans in the BREXIT talks then hopefully a whole bunch of class action lawyers will.  

Does the "fix" give any sort of warranty as to the work done as proving consequential rather than coincidental loss is very difficult and often more to do with VAG wanting to hush it up rather than be prosecuted.    

It looks like Civil Courts actions in England / Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland will have judges decide if VW Group were taking the pith.

The UK Government do not seem in any hurry to take the legal proceedings.

I see that the VW Group are getting approval to 'Repair or Modify' the Device Defeat fitted vehicles they bought back in the USA or ones sales were banned of and then they can sell them off.

So it appears they can make them meet USA Emissions standards or some of them can be made to.

31 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

Anybody with a modicum of technical engineering could see that the fix for the Audi/SEAT/Skoda/VW diesel was snake oil, the laminar flow device looked like it had been knocked up by a first year apprentice student in hist first term.  

I have a modicum of technical engineering, and I think that paragraph sounds like the work of someone who hasn't. 

VW CEO Paul Willis told the MP's a few weeks ago that they were doing the 'Fix' on 20,000 vehicles a week in the UK. 

no idea where The Sun gets it's numbers from, because 10,000 vehicles sounds like 3 days worth.  Maybe Willis & The Sun get their 000's wrong.

(& it includes Light Commercials so not just 'Cars'.)

Under half of 1.2 million will be under 600,000 vehicles, 10,000 would be a lots under that.

http://thesun.co.uk/motors/3231435/volkswagen-diesel-scandal-upgrade-cars-lose-power 

? Is it 10,000 in England / Wales dealing with some solicitors, and more in Scotland and Northern Ireland?

Edited by Awayoffski

On 4/1/2017 at 09:34, Wino said:

I have a modicum of technical engineering, and I think that paragraph sounds like the work of someone who hasn't. 

My technical engineering background is first doing a 4 year apprenticeship in marine engineering (diesel rather than steam) within which I did an OND and got a distinction in the thermodynamic and fluid mechanics module.  Did a BSc and again took thermodynamic and fluid mechanics and got a 2-1 Honours degree overall.  I worked at Piper tuning for 6 months as a degree placement.

When looking at the "fix" device, which is suppose to create more laminar flow and sort out some turbulent flow that the usage of what appears flat section wire over round, which as we know that has a much worse drag coefficient than circular shapes.  It looks more like a crude restrictor device than a laminar flow decide.

Please reciprocate and let us know your background ie working at the Osney thermo-fluids lab at Oxford Uni, physic teacher at a comp or whatever?   A technical appraisal of the "fix" part as well we would find interesting?      

Image result for drag coefficient flat plate   

Screen+Shot+2015-11-25+at+9.42.06+AM.png

Edited by lol-lol

Your qualifications count for nothing if you write nonsense about snake oil and apprentices, in the context of something that has required a huge effort from a huge team of engineers to find a(n approved) fix for a 'painted themselves into an impossible corner' situation with the cheating. To achieve the necessary 'corrections' with software and hardware changes, with minimal inconvenience to owners, and 'there's no difference at all' reaction from most owners is good going.

This strikes me as a well-informed analysis of the flow rectifier's function:

I have no formal engineering qualification. :)

Edited by Wino

Yesterday's Times had a darkly amusing article about this.

Someone had found a document relating to the recall where VW had said "do not meet the regulatory requirements" in description of the affected vehicles.

Lawyers for owners say this is grounds for compo. Lawyers for VW are apparently saying "The wording in the notification was a brief and immediate notification to explain to the DVSA broadly why the voluntary service action was to be commenced. That was quickly done by setting out the allegation that was made. The notification does not reflect any accepted factual or legal position."

Hmm, good luck with that "Yeah, but, no, but..." stance. Lawyers don't worry about exactly what you've said in writing...

• Like 1

On 29/03/2017 at 21:48, Ryeman said:

Looks like Pistonheads may have been right and more money for class action lawyers 

I am beginning to wonder if the UK Government's latest pronouncement on the low Emissions Zone proposals will affect the  raft of legal claims against VW on the basis of VW diesel car values having dropped. VW might now be able to argue that any drop in value is due to UK government policy in getting diesels off the road. The claims might be better to target at least in part the issue of the 'fix' damaging the cars which should be easier to prove. Teresa May could have scuppered the chances of the compo claimers! For the record, I'm not a claimer at the moment though I don't relish the prospect of trying to sell my car!

6 minutes ago, warley said:

I am beginning to wonder if the UK Government's latest pronouncement on the low Emissions Zone proposals will affect the  raft of legal claims against VW on the basis of VW diesel car values having dropped. VW might now be able to argue that any drop in value is due to UK government policy in getting diesels off the road. The claims might be better to target at least in part the issue of the 'fix' damaging the cars which should be easier to prove. Teresa May could have scuppered the chances of the compo claimers! For the record, I'm not a claimer at the moment though I don't relish the prospect of trying to sell my car!

Are U.K. departments going softly on VW for Brexit negotiating reasons?.

Are owners paying the price?.

On 27/03/2017 at 13:19, Awayoffski said:

Looks like the VW Group need to do more than just spin how well they are getting on with The Fix in the UK.

Then there are Scottish Law firms getting prepared for a Class Action,

Up in smoke_ the VW emissions ‘fix’ has left our car undriveable _ Money _ The Guardian.mhtml

If anyone is interested, Becxstar over on Honest John's forum has set up a UK parliament petition related to the issues surrounding the 'fix'. I've just signed up. He says.....

Help ensure Volkswagen service action is not damaging vehicles
petition.parliament.uk/petitions/183092

VW can surely produce new power and torque graphs and figures to prove their claims of no deleterious outcomes from the fix.

More along the lines of 'trust us'

r i g h t

?

How would a petition that got enough people signing it and having MP's debate it make any difference as Westminster already has a Transport Select Committee that has been sitting and taking evidence from experts and VW Employees including the VW UK CEO and a VW Engineer they had in front of them that has since been charged in the US for what ever dishonesty they are accusing him of.

The DVSA / DfT have test results and reports and the EU Commission has accused the UK Government along with other EU Governments of dragging their heels on taking actions against the VW Group.

10 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

How would a petition that got enough people signing it and having MP's debate it make any difference as Westminster already has a Transport Select Committee that has been sitting and taking evidence from experts and VW Employees including the VW UK CEO and a VW Engineer they had in front of them that has since been charged in the US for what ever dishonesty they are accusing him of.

As far as we know the Transport select committee is only looking at establishing the facts of the 'cheating' by VAG and the loosely related proposition that perhaps owners should be compensated for 'loss of value'. I doubt if they are discussing whether or not the 'emissions fix'  is not actually damaging engines as some claim. The committe probably SHOULD examine this aspect of the 'remedial process' and that would mean taking in evidence from consumers. Having to talk to 'real people' some of whom might be their constituants is something the committee might be less keen to do so maybe the petition which is specifically about the 'fix' and not the cheating will at least suggest that investigation would be in consumers interests. The petition is better than nothing though well over one million signing a recent one is unlikely to have US President Donald Trump banned from the UK. Petitions do make people feel better which is the one definitely poitive outcome. I'm not directly affected as I declined to have the fix implemented when I had my car serviced last week.