DSG question.....

6 Speed DSG has clutches that run in oil, as stated with  foot on brake the drive is disengaged. My car does creep quite nicely on a flat road but does need throttle input on any gradient. The only real criticism from me is the box is reluctant to drop back into 1st gear unless the car has almost come to a rest, which causes slip if on a gradient. I just knock selector to the left which engages 1st then back into 'D' when the cars at a speed associated with 2nd depending on road conditions etc.

• Like 2

so the engine isnt loaded at all when vehicle is stopped in D and brake on unlike a slushbox

Not quite. There is a subtle difference between "D and brake" and "N". It sounds like the engine is loaded very slightly in the former case. This feels like you should select N or P if stationary for a while and the auto-stop isn't active.

can you hard launch a DSG? i.e. stand on the brake in D or 1st, rev the engine then let the brake off? in a proper auto it loads up the torque converter

I used to do the same on my BMW autoboxes a few years back

DSG yes and no, I know certain cars you can launch control where after a short preparation of buttons and sport mode you can floor the throttle and hold the brake and release when you want to launch

On the 6 speed DSG diesel I am not sure

Edited by Turkeythighs

There is a launch control for the 6sp DSG or so the manual says for my 170. Also, D plus brake doesn't quite disengage, there is a noticeable difference between N and D with brake. I tend to flick into N when stationary for a while, or P for a really long while :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much - but the manual definitely says it doesn't disengage completely. Little extract:

The vehicle must be held on the brake pedal in D, S or R modes if the vehicle is halted and the engine is running. Even when the engine is idling, power transmission is never completely interrupted – the vehicle will creep.

And:

[stop]

Fully depress and hold the brake pedal and bring the vehicle to a stop.

Keep holding the brake pedal until driving is resumed.

The selector lever position N does not have to be selected when stopping for a short time, such as at a cross roads.

- Which suggests that longer stops should be in N or P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by exFiesta

from my experience with our 6 spd, you can't hard launch as a foot on the brake disconnects drive. Also, long periods of slow creeping is hard work on the clutch. Our car has done 77,000 miles and when creeping along slowly there is a slight pulse form what I presume is the clutch. TBH, as much as I like the fast gear changes of DSG I'd rather have a slushbox for reliability and the ability to hold the car on the foot brake.

So does it wear the clutch whilst waiting on a hill for instance

Yes it does. Not a good idea, 'tis best to use the handbrake, as per when driving a manual.

I'd never leave a slushbox in D for more than a few seconds either, they've been known to get hot...........

DC 

• Like 1

The 6 speed DSG keeps partial drive while D is engaged even with your foot on the brake.

As the clutches are lubricated and cooled in oil the wear on them is minimal.

They are not like a conventional clutch where you just had two sides that engage and disengage. They are made up of several plates of clutch material and steel rings. Oil pressure is then applied to "engage" them.

As above, some of the boxes have launch control programmed in. Mine doesn't but you don't really need to do a "hard launch" and hold with your left foot etc... when you're ready to set off just puch the throttle and you're off.

The reason the box can go stuttery/juddery after a while of creeping and stop/start is down to heat. When the box and oil are hot (or too hot) the gearbox adjusts the clutch actuation to minimize slippage of the clutches and prevent them producing more heat. But as I said they are lubricated and so slippage isn't an issue.

I went to a funeral the other day with 4 people in the car and followed the cortege up some steep hills at the crematorium. The car was in 1st and 2nd and was slipping the clutch for 2nd gear climbing slowly up the hill. Was perfectly smooth and even though this went on for about 1/3 of a mile it was fine.

• Like 2

It's always engaged trying to drive when in gear, you can clearly hear the engine note change when you plonk it in N or P.

The nice thing with DSG is the lack of over revving waiting for torque converters to pick up, the drive is so much more direct feeling. Probably why they are closer on fuel efficiency to a manual and claimed to be better in some cases.

Mine has full launch control but never done it and not sure how to really.

Edited by Defenderben

I must say that I was rather pleased with mine yesterday. Tried in sport mode setting off from a standstill. Held it with my left foot (but not revving) so I could hit the gas straight away. The gear change into 2nd was pretty savage and the rev counter couldn't even keep up it was that instant.

I love this box and better than older torque converter autos as said above. They are catching up though. The last one I drove was a Touareg with the 8 speed ZF gearbox. That truly was a brilliant gearbox. Slow speed creeping and traffic was very smooth and the gear changes were almost as quick as the DSG. It can lock it's torque converter up in any gear at any time to the drive feels very direct compared to other torque converter autos I've driven. You could feel the "slip" from the torque converter but then if you hit the gas you could feel it "bite" and lock up and it was off!

Mk3 have electric handbrake?

They also have auto hold.

Pull up, stop brakes engage automatically, put into P, turn off ignition and the handbrake will also turn itself on! ... very impressive bit of kit, oh and you don’t need to switch the handbrake off either... close the door and pull away!