I aint going first....

Based on how the complaints are being handled I'd hate if my engine was one of the ones that gives trouble though. Since my ECU software has already been 'corrected' past 200 bhp, I won't be getting this done :D. The letter for it arrived yesterday though.

Based on how the complaints are being handled I'd hate if my engine was one of the ones that gives trouble though. Since my ECU software has already been 'corrected' past 200 bhp, I won't be getting this done :D. The letter for it arrived yesterday though.

You're the first Irish Skoda owner I've heard from that has received a fix appointment letter.

Do they ask you to use a specific dealer or just ask you to contact one that suits to make an appointment? 

Yesterday I was working with someone who had their 64 plate 2.0TDI Passat 'fixed' on Monday. He says it's no different whatsoever and unless they told him it has had the modification he wouldn't have known. 

You're the first Irish Skoda owner I've heard from that has received a fix appointment letter.

Do they ask you to use a specific dealer or just ask you to contact one that suits to make an appointment? 

I have mine also.  I think all Irish drivers were sent these in the past few days.  See below.  Any authorised dealer can be used.

IMG_1744_zpsh9luqrza.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for that Superb170 - I appreciate it.

I don't think mine will be done until next August..the service was only done last week, They haven't announced anything on the 1.6 EA189 bar the fact that their "technical measure" - translation "cheat fix" - has been accepted by the KBA. I think it will be late October/early November before anything happens at all.

Its not that I won't get it done - but like lichfielddriver said at the beginning of the thread - "I ain't going first...!".  

I wonder if we will get any free goody bag like was claimed for UK owners on another thread? Maybe a bright green Skoda T-Shirt with "I've been Technically Measured by John Donegan, Brand Director!"

Edited by TheRobinK
  • Like 2

Thanks for that Superb170 - I appreciate it.

I don't think mine will be done until next August..the service was only done last week, They haven't announced anything on the 1.6 EA189 bar the fact that their "technical measure" - translation "cheat fix" - has been accepted by the KBA. I think it will be late October/early November before anythings happens at all.

Its not that I won't get it done - but like lichfielddriver said at the beginning of the thread - "I ain't going first...!".  

I wonder if we will get any free goody bag like was claimed for UK owners on another thread? Maybe a bright green Skoda T-Shirt with "I've been Technically Measured by Brian Donegan, Brand Director!"

I agree.  Most people will want to adopt a wait and see approach.  I'm thinking of ordering a new Superb for next January so don't think I'll be bothering with it either.  Its not due a service anyway between now and the end of the year.  Let the dealer look after it if I trade it in.

Superb170, on 25 Aug 2016 - 11:04, said:

I agree.  Most people will want to adopt a wait and see approach.  I'm thinking of ordering a new Superb for next January so don't think I'll be bothering with it either.  Its not due a service anyway between now and the end of the year.  Let the dealer look after it if I trade it in.

That sounds very smart to me. I know there have been a few reports of 2 litre owners saying their cars have been compromised (admittedly, that seems to be out of thousands done).

However - why risk having any problem at all and/or having a load of complaints logged against your car? 

You know how it would play out; "Hello Mr Salesperson. I wish to trade my technically measured Superb, which is reported as running like crap and is apparently not your fault - and give me a great trade in price for it, pretty please!"  You'd be better off leaning over the sales desk and handing them the Vaseline....

NO to that. Your approach to this is zero risk.  Its exactly what I would do in your position.

• Like 1

A numpty question (I'm just interested).

Is it (are you) illegal if you don't have this mod done? My understanding is that it was the 'lie' relating to published levels when buying a new car that is the issue.

There are millions of diesel (and petrol) cars on the roads that will no longer meet current 'regs' on a myriad of things let alone emissions.

If you don't get this thing done, so what? It's not dangerous, just a better performing diesel car than it would otherwise be? In fact, from reading this thread, it would seem that any attempt to modify anything in front of the MAF sensor (or indeed trying to regulate spray flow from the injectors) will upset the performance on a diesel car.

Funny/sad/infuriating state of affairs really.....

Some countries are mandating it, others not. 

It's dangerous to humans breathing the exhaust fumes in big cities.

I'd've thought Geneva and the Swiss might be quite picky about air quality issues?

Edited by Wino

From the Irish Independent last week:

"...no 1.6-litre diesel 'solutions' released yet...there is still a long way to go. For example, there has been nothing so far on the 1.6-litre diesel for passenger vehicles as it includes hardware as well as software changes."

Volkswagen told us: "The vast bulk of work will surround the 1.6-litre passenger models, the repair for which is expected to be released in the fourth quarter of 2016."

Original article here: http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/commercials-lead-the-way-as-vw-set-to-apply-emission-fixes-34988824.html

• Like 2

Just wonder any more updates after re-call's? found this on honest John sounds similar to the one on this thread.

12-7-2016: Report that VAG NOx software fix to 2014 Tiguan 2.0TDI 140 DSG has resulted in a significant clatter under load at speeds up to 40mph and engine speeds up to 1,600rpm. Suggests that the software fix reduces fuelling and therefore torque at low rpm.

11-8-2016: Another report of a Tiguan TDI, this time a 2012, developing "a horrible rattle in engine when changing up between 2 and 4." VW told owner she needs to pay for a diagnostic test and if it shows that it is due to the fix then they will refund. She had the fix done by a mobile unit from VW direct. She asked the nearest VW dealer how much this diagnostic test would cost and they quoted £100 but also said they had seen several Tiguans with this problem following the fix and that there was updated software that could be applied and if she'd had the emissions fix with them they would suggest doing this first before a diagnostic test. She needs to get onto the original supplying VW dealer and tell him to sort it out FoC or she will sue.

14-8-2016: Third report of knocking from the engine of a Volkswagen Toguan 2.0TDI after the VAG EA189 emissions software fix, this time on a 2013 Tiguan. It recently went to the VW dealer to have the software update supposed to address the emissions problem. Prior to the update the car was running perfectly well, but after the change it started to rattle very noticeably under light to moderate acceleration along with increased fuel consumption. Subsequently the dealer took it back for investigation (apparently involving info from the VW factory) which took a week (owner was provided with a loan car). This resulted in a further software modification. Owner got car back a week ago. Since then it has started to exhibit the same rattling and fuel consumption symptoms. Having given it what he thinks is a reasonable amount of time and mileage, owner will report the present problem on Monday 15th and see what the dealer proposes to do.

17-8-2016: Fourth report of emissions modification to a a 31k mile 2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDI failing and leaving the owner with a noisy, unresponsive machine completely at odds with the driving experienced prior to modification. The car was returned to the dealer who, in concert with Volkswagen, retained the car for almost 6 weeks. It was returned last week and, if anything, is worse, possibly dangerous with unreliable throttle response. The dealer visited the owner's home on 16th August, acknowledged the issues but has done nothing. He cannot fix the car to a satisfactory standard and will not buy it back. Owner had the car from new and it is modified for disabled use.

This owner states: "We are at a loss. Full independent assessment and anticipated legal costs seem to preclude court action even if you can find a Lawyer prepared to take on VW. None of the Magazines or Newspapers will respond. I have many letters to the parties without acknowledgement or response. I will happily provide all the effort and paperwork if someone would shine a light on these cheating so and so's Do You have an Answer? Could You publish a full article there are many in trouble with this engine?"

The "Honest John"  website report has been updated regards the 2.0 diesel update reports they have been getting:

We have now received eight reports of Volkswagen Tiguan TDIs losing power and rattling between 1,500 - 2,250rpm After the EA189 emissions software remap.

The remapping programme for Tiguans seems to have started in early July. We are not aware of any widespread problem yet with EA189 engines in other vehicles after the remap. And the problem seems to be mainly with post-2010 Tiguan 2.0TDI 140 Bluemotion DSG automatics

It is manifested in a lack of torque between 1,500rpm and 2,250rpm leading to a "rattle" and the the transmissions changing down. We think the software remap reduces the fuelling so we have recommended owners to try their engines on higher cetane 'superdiesel' such as Shell V-Power Nitro Plus or BP Ultimate that generally gives more torque at low rpm and might help.

Original article here: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/volkswagen-emissions-scandal/8-reports-of-volkswagen-tiguans-losing-power-after-ea189-emissions-fix/

I refused the fix on a service on my Superb 170 yesterday, the dealer had said they had done 50 Superbs with no probs, and that every fix for each model type was different, i.e. the fix on a 2.0 TDI on a superb was not the same as that on a 2,0 TDI Yeti say, Hmmm.

Stubs