Change key battery

Fabia 1.2 TSI SEL with keyless start.

Just changed our key batteries as the car passed 12 months old. Strangely the spare key  which has rarely been used was also showing 'Low Battery' at the same time. Replaced the Panasonic 2025 with equivalent Duracell's so hopefully might get closer to 18 months use out of them.

Purchased off E-Bay for £1.60 incl. P & P so works out at 80p per battery.

• 1 month later...

After leaving the car with the dealer today, I am the owner of a brand new key.

And now im also the owner of a new key for my VW G7... dealer said it was an error in the bottoms, that lead the battery to loss power in approx. 10 days from brand new battery. Could not be repaired so they gave me a new key under warranty.

I got this message on the MID about a week back. My car has KESSY and is 13 months old. I have the Webasto remote and one of the keys in the same key ring and I used that key during the winter months. So both keys have been used during these 13 months. I ignored the warning for a few days and now, interestingly, I haven't seen the message in the past couple of days.

• 2 months later...

Another premature (in my opinion) replace battery message

Car is 18 months old with 13k miles.

I'm just going to order a battery off eBay. CR2032 fit ok? Might have a few laying around the house here from those stupid online bank authenticate things.

Both our (non kessy) keys required replacement at the same time after 26 months.

I changed the batteries at different times and the message only disappeared as they were renewed so it is voltage dependent.

I tested the old batteries and they were still a relatively healthy 3.012 volts and the new ones around 3.2 volts.

So the voltage tolerances are quite demanding

Another premature (in my opinion) replace battery message

Car is 18 months old with 13k miles.

I'm just going to order a battery off eBay. CR2032 fit ok? Might have a few laying around the house here from those stupid online bank authenticate things.

Yep, you can fit a CR2032 with some patience. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 03/05/2016 at 20:20, Dempsek said:

Be careful the batteries go very soon after the MID warning.

Did you ever get told what the issue was? Can it be fixed? I have the same issue with one of my keys. Used 3 batteries in a week. Other key is fine but want to know if I have to spend a fortune on a replacement spare or I can get mine repaired. Thanks

On 02/08/2016 at 23:57, Gerrycan said:

I tested the old batteries and they were still a relatively healthy 3.012 volts and the new ones around 3.2 volts.

So the voltage tolerances are quite demanding

When you test with digital volt meter you don't put any load on the battery. I am sure that this battery would have been under 3 volts on load. These batteries are great at holding up voltage as they discharge but fall off a cliff when they are done. Basically the difference between working and not working is quite small.

The key unit must have voltage checking circuit which measures the voltage every time the key is used. Once the low voltage is measured a signal is sent to the car and you get the message on the dash.

1 hour ago, justin82 said:

Did you ever get told what the issue was? Can it be fixed? I have the same issue with one of my keys. Used 3 batteries in a week. Other key is fine but want to know if I have to spend a fortune on a replacement spare or I can get mine repaired. Thanks

Never told what the issue was, but after two dealer batteries in three weeks it was agreed to change the fob.

• 1 month later...
On 04/02/2016 at 17:50, Orville said:

Tip: Insert a CR2032 battery instead of a CR2025. They are slightly thicker but last 50% longer, and they fit just fine. I just had to replace mine.

Thanks for the tip Orville :thumbup:

Got the "change key battery" message this morning so changed the original key battery from a (Sony CR2025) to a (Kodak Ultra CR2032) the new key battery would not go all the way in like the original key battery did but when you put back the black plastic, the key battery sits perfectly within the position, will see how long this new key battery will last.

Here is a Youtube video showing how easy it is to change the key battery B)

• 2 years later...

I just came across this thread because I was surprised to see a 'change key battery' message in my car this morning. Surprised because it's only two years old and has done just 18,000 kms (10,000 miles). I bought it last March with just 5,000 on the clock.

Anyway, following tips here, I have replaced the 2025 battery with a 2032 as I had a few 2032 spares in the house but no 2025s. It's a bit fiddly and I had to use a small screwdriver to push and hold the 2032 battery in place while I replaced the plastic cover, which then needed a firm push down to close and lock. But it works fine. Thanks to all who mentioned it.

Edited by Gasconman

Change the battery in your spare key as well. There seems to be quantum entanglement between the two keys. I've also crammed the CR2032 into mine, again because I had some. 

Edited by gregoir
  • Like 1

The Energizer CR2025 battery in my key fob has died again in less than a year, the previous ones lasted a couple of years. When they go again, I'll try wedging a 3032 in there.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2017 Skoda Octavia with the KESSY system.  I got the message on the panel that I had to replace the battery. I replaced the battery but the message is still there. Do I need to do something to reset the error message?

On 18/03/2020 at 15:23, rcd said:

I have a 2017 Skoda Octavia with the KESSY system.  I got the message on the panel that I had to replace the battery. I replaced the battery but the message is still there. Do I need to do something to reset the error message?

Same as above, fitted a 2032 very easily yesterday. 👌

Saw your post but didn't really understand what you mean?  

I have seen people posting that they replaced the standard 2025 with a 2032, and I might do that next time too, but since I just bought and inserted two perfectly good 2025 batteries I thought I'd rather try to find out why the #¤&" car still complains.  I even took the batteries out and checked them with my voltmeter, they are both well above the nominal 3 volts. 

Hi RCD, drivers are being told, by the car, to change key battery. 

They, like me, change the battery, but sign on car still remains. 

Question is, do you have to delete sign yourself? 🤔

Right, now I understand - this was also my question. From what I read here, changing the battery should clear the message automatically. I just had the car to service and had the computer generally reset, so I think it should happen automatically when the battery has been replaced.

I replaced the battery when the sign came up, that was a couple of weeks ago.

The fob has now stopped working, I've put another battery in this morning, the best one , voltage wise i could find, was 3.29v.

So I've been out to the car, pressed any button on fob then unlocked the car, opened door, big mistake, alarm going off.

After 5mins put alarm off, put key in ignition. 

After trying several time's,  still no synchronization. ??

Spare key works, but will probably stop working as well.

Am I missing something? ?

Turns out, yes I was missing something,  little red light on fob.

After watching two or three videos I realized the little red light was not flashing on the fob, after three changes of batteries you would have thought one would connect, took battery out again, gave it a good polish and hey-presto, flashing red light.

Back into the garage, tenth time, press button, unlock door, all done.

Oh, almost forgot, change battery sign dissappear's. 😊

Edited by NZ100
+

On 02/04/2020 at 15:15, NZ100 said:

Turns out, yes I was missing something,  little red light on fob.

After watching two or three videos I realized the little red light was not flashing on the fob, after three changes of batteries you would have thought one would connect, took battery out again, gave it a good polish and hey-presto, flashing red light.

Back into the garage, tenth time, press button, unlock door, all done.

Oh, almost forgot, change battery sign dissappear's. 😊

I'm having the same issues with one of my key's, I've swapped the battery three times now, but no red light coming on when pressing any of the buttons. I've seen on the net that you can/should be able to unlock/lock the drivers door, by flipping of the cover to expose the key hole and this will resynchronize the key. Well I've just tried this to find it unlocked the door and that the alarm works a treat 😬 I've polished the batteries and even used a cotton bud to clean the contacts inside the key, but no amount of polishing the batteries and or trying to resynchronize the key seems to work, I'll be trying to get some new cr2020 or cr2032 batteries next time I go out to get essential supplies, I'm just glad that I have another working key , otherwise I'd be stuck.

If anyone else has had this issue and managed to resolve it i'd like to hear from you and what I need to do.