New map updates out?

26DIPP

I just googled for Columbus map updates and stumbled across a map v13 8348 Western Europe and a Blaupunkt EX-V also a V13.

The Skoda website tells me that there are no updates for my VIN. Does VW send map updates to there cars first?

Forgive my ignorance, but when buying a car from a dealer, either new or ex demonstrator, should they also supply the SD card with the maps current at that time? As I understand it from other threads, it is not possible to use just any SD card, but has to be one that with Skoda formatting embedded. The reason I ask is that when I got my car from the dealers I was told, when I asked about updating, that the first 3 updates would be free. When I recently asked about updates I was informed that I could download any available, although we didn't get as far as which website. Otherwise, I was informed it would cost me £250.

• Like 1

Some confusion here. The Columbus in the Superb Mk 2 is the older style Columbus which needs a dvd update for the maps. There are not free to download (despite what some dealer salesmen might tell you because they're either an idiot or they sense they might get a sale from saying so) but are a cost item from the dealers in the region of £175 plus VAT.

The dealer selling a car is under no obligation to provide a copy of the maps (on dvd, not SD card) but sometimes it might be included if the previous owner left it in there when part exing the car.

Latest version maps for the Mk2 Superb are V13 and have been out for a couple of months.

The Mk3 Superb has the newer style Columbus (same name, very different unit) and should be allowed 3 years free updates via the Skoda portal with the car VIN. This is the free option many salesmen are touting for their own reasons.

• Like 3

Hello Noddy,

Which map sw number did you install?

And I have never heard / been told about 3 free map updates.

Can't remember the 8*** number (possibly 8495) but it's West Europe V13.  I think I paid £15 on a well-known internet auction site; they're available all over the place for less than £25. You'd have to be a complete moron to pay the scandalous prices that Skoda charge.

• Like 1

My car is a 2014 2.0 TdF with the Amundson unit., I specifically asked about the updates as I know they are not cheap & was told 3 updates free. The reason I was asking is that I believe that the SD card must be Skoda supplied, any other will not be accepted by the unit to upload updates to the unit.

If you have the earlier Amundsen unit then the SD card is a single use, dealer supplied, £170 odd update. This cannot be used again either for the unit it's assigned to with a new map, or in another unit. Essentially you buy it and install the maps, and it's job is finished.

If you have the later Amundsen unit then there are online updates for free, and any SD card will suffice (so I believe).

If you have the earlier Amundsen and were promised online updates for free then the salesman has lied to you mislead you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a map update from Fleabay; it arrived in the mail yesterday and took about 45 minutes to update my system, which now has version 8348 and works perfectly well. A good result I think​.

Alan

Edited by Othen
  • Like 1

I had my local Indy check as to the software and map version numbers and found the software to be 1304 and the maps V7. so armed with this knowledge, googled and found gpsunderground who suggested I could go to 5238 for software and V13 for the maps.

Basically Windows xp to 10 so this I did. Took best part of a couple of hours and much more info on the maps and also had a database file thrown in for free listing points of interest and speed cameras fixed and mobile.

The grpahic for the reversing and front sensors has also changed and looks better too.

I had my local Indy check as to the software and map version numbers and found the software to be 1304 and the maps V7. so armed with this knowledge, googled and found gpsunderground who suggested I could go to 5238 for software and V13 for the maps.

Basically Windows xp to 10 so this I did. Took best part of a couple of hours and much more info on the maps and also had a database file thrown in for free listing points of interest and speed cameras fixed and mobile.

The grpahic for the reversing and front sensors has also changed and looks better too.

I had not noticed the OPS graphic change (but then I didn't particularly notice it previously), except I've just found a little icon that toggles the radio on and off whilst reversing, was that there before? What has changed?

Alan

I updated from 2*** to 4120 about 18 months ago.... Not sure whether I noticed a change to the car graphic.... What does it look like in 5238? Can you post a picture?

My Columbus is a 3T0 035 680 A (September 2011)

What is the latest map update and firmware etc available please?

Firmware 5238 and maps 8348 (version 13). You may find out which version you have by pressing and holding the SETUP button (about 5 seconds). People say that Skoda dealers charge £170 for the software upgrade, but you can buy the right disc for not much on Fleabay (or borrow it free).

Alan

Firmware 5238 and maps 8348 (version 13). You may find out which version you have by pressing and holding the SETUP button (about 5 seconds). People say that Skoda dealers charge £170 for the software upgrade, but you can buy the right disc for not much on Fleabay (or borrow it free).

Alan

Hi Othen,

Thanks for this info.

The sticker on top of the unit says it's a 3T0 035 680 A

The Version info screen says it's a 3T0 035 680 B

HW Version H55

SW Version 3974

Map Version 7551

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to make sure I get the right one, so any chance of a link to a suitable disc? (although I'd prefer the last option)

Please do not post links to the eBay auctions or direct download links for firmware or maps. they are copyright and only available officially from dealers. Links will be removed from this thread if posted, if you need links google is your friend.

• Like 1

Hi Othen,

Thanks for this info.

The sticker on top of the unit says it's a 3T0 035 680 A

The Version info screen says it's a 3T0 035 680 B

HW Version H55

SW Version 3974

Map Version 7551

Sorry to be a pain, but I want to make sure I get the right one, so any chance of a link to a suitable disc? (although I'd prefer the last option)

Hi Figment,

So your firmware version is: SW Version 3974 (the latest is 5238)

Your maps are: Map Version 7551 (latest is 8348)

Best wishes,

Alan

I got the V13 map updates no problem and I'm happy with them. . . . The icing on the cake was supposed to be an update of Personal POI's for safety cameras - try as I might (six hours worth today with four different sd cards) this just will not load into my 2011 Columbus.

The Personal POI's option on my menus is dark as though it's not in use. My software version is 3984.

Why there isn't just an sd card for sale to do this, without a load of terminology and abbreviations to bamboozle the likes of me I just don't understand. . . . . .I have read the forums on here and am non the wiser.

The aftermarket service is absolutely garbage - as though they aren't interested in making more money (apart from shifting a couple of sets of two hundred quid map dvds) - perhaps they should look at this again, with all the fines heading their way !

Maybe its a generation thing and I'm moving towards that generation - comfortably in a 2.0tsi DSG, with up to date maps, if no speed cams......end of rant . . . .

Mickey are you using a mac? I use a mac and it took two attempts to remove the detritus that the Mac puts on the SD card. Format to Fat32, use Blueharvest to clean the SD card, delete the files mac leaves on the card, load up your poi's and all should be ok.

• Like 1

I got the V13 map updates no problem and I'm happy with them. . . . The icing on the cake was supposed to be an update of Personal POI's for safety cameras - try as I might (six hours worth today with four different sd cards) this just will not load into my 2011 Columbus.

The Personal POI's option on my menus is dark as though it's not in use. My software version is 3984.

Why there isn't just an sd card for sale to do this, without a load of terminology and abbreviations to bamboozle the likes of me I just don't understand. . . . . .I have read the forums on here and am non the wiser.

The aftermarket service is absolutely garbage - as though they aren't interested in making more money (apart from shifting a couple of sets of two hundred quid map dvds) - perhaps they should look at this again, with all the fines heading their way !

Maybe its a generation thing and I'm moving towards that generation - comfortably in a 2.0tsi DSG, with up to date maps, if no speed cams......end of rant . . . .

I have a vague recollection that the database format changed from a particular firmware revision. You might find that you have to upgrade to  something like 4120 to access the new database format.

I have a vague recollection that the database format changed from a particular firmware revision. You might find that you have to upgrade to  something like 4120 to access the new database format.

POI format changed when the units went to 3*** firmware with the three partitions on the hard drive. In Mickeys case he just needed someone who knows what they're doing rather than an ebay seller who just sells stuff he's found.

Edited by Rustynuts