Should I extend the warranty to 5 years, and any other advice

Thank you to the Briskoda.net forum contributors for the wealth of info shared, which I have used in making my decision to purchase

Superb Estate SEL Exec  1.4 TSI 150ps DSG  ACT

List price inc extras £29,995.

Purchasing through Skoda Store    [email protected]            

On the road price, brand new, uk franchised dealer supplied @  £25,925.

36 months Skoda Warranty and RAC cover and 12 months road fund licence.

I will be first named registered owner

Ordered Sept 17th    Confirmed Build week 1.  expected Jan ?

My typical annual mileage is only 5k to 6k .

It's probably a car that I will keep.

The last car I purchased new was in 1986, and I still own it.  Range Rover Vogue 3.5 EFI. 74K miles from new

interim, two 7 series BMWs and one C class estate, sold to make way for the Skoda.

So you can see that once I get it I'll probably keep it, particularly if it is as good as the reviews that I keep reading.

Any Tips welcome on :-

Should I extend the warranty?

What is the usual procedure when I collect it at the Skoda dealers ?

Should I take GAP insurance?

General rules on Running In ?

Once again Many Thanks one and all.

It's all to do with "peace of mind" I'd certainly do it. Mine is a Motability car which I want to keep but was unable to do an extended warranty.... I did take a 5 year warranty on my wife's Peugeot 2008 but it might need it more than a Skoda! Go for the peace of mind option!

This is the dealer's reply when I asked him the cost of the extended warranty.

The extended warranty now has to be done once your warranty runs out in three years time, from what I understand it is a quick call to Skoda to extend it however you will need to prove that you have Skoda service history.

Hi,

Our first Superb had extended warranty- came in usefull when the power stearing hose broke & wrecked the power stearing pump ! whatch out for what it does not cover though. We took ours out when the dealer called us in ( the car -- not me ! ) for the "End of warranty " check over.

david

• Like 1

This is the dealer's reply when I asked him the cost of the extended warranty.

The extended warranty now has to be done once your warranty runs out in three years time, from what I understand it is a quick call to Skoda to extend it however you will need to prove that you have Skoda service history.

If you look at this page 

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/warranty/extended-warranty/reasons-to-extend-your-cover

it says 

Please note that an extended warranty is only available on new vehicles at the time of ordering.

From what I was told the extended warranty you can by at time of ordering is more comprehensive and thorough that the one that can be purchased afterwards.  The one at the time I was told was direct with Skoda and the one afterwards is through a 3rd party albeit with Skoda's approval.

• Like 1

From what I was told the extended warranty you can by at time of ordering is more comprehensive and thorough that the one that can be purchased afterwards. The one at the time I was told was direct with Skoda and the one afterwards is through a 3rd party albeit with Skoda's approval.

That's right. When I bought my ex Skoda uk S11 which was only 4 months old at the time I was told that I couldn't extend the warranty to 5 years. I could however at the end of the 3 year period buy a 12 month Skoda aftermarket warranty that would cost more then extending the the warranty to 5 years had I bought the car from new.

Considering that I have used the warranty at least 10 times during the 32 remaining months for my piece of mind it is a no brainer to extend it on my new car,

One of the main differences between the factory warranty and aftermarket is that they won't cover any investigation work on the aftermarket warranty so you would have to cover this.

Hope this helps?

I'd look at prices online for GAP, the best quote I got for 5 years was less than Skoda were asking for 3 years.

Spoke to Skoda Customer Service this morning,and they confirmed that Factory Extended Warranty is available 

up to the time of the car being registered.

So I think I will go for it.  My car is at stage 3 of the build process today and should be completed by Friday.

They say I should allow a further 14 Days for delivery to the Dealer.

Hi,

​How long/ what mileage is the factory extended warranty good for ?

Standard factory warranty is 2 years/unlimited mileage and then 3 years/60,000 miles.

You can add an extra year, bringing the total to 4 years or 80,000 miles

You can also add 2 extra years, bringing the total to 5 years or 100,000 miles 

Edited by dstev2000

New Car Warranty features at a glance:

• Cover up to 100,000 miles
  • Repairs carried out by ŠKODA experts
  • Repairs carried out by a member of the ŠKODA authorised network – no need to pay then claim (within the UK)
  • Cover for repairs while travelling within the EU**
  • Fully transferrable to new owners

Big cover, small prices

Citigo

Fabia

Rapid

Octavia

Superb and Yeti

4 years / 80,000 miles

£150

£180

£230

£255

£300

5 years / 100,000 miles

£260

£324

£460

£515

£630
  • Like 1

I took out the extended to 5yrs warranty when I ordered my Octavia Scout DSG a year ago, at that time the cost of metallic paint over Corrida red was around the same price as the warranty.

To me the extended cover was worth more than the paint option! I think it's a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Dealer talked me out taking extended warranty on purchase because manufacturer's extended warranty isn't transferable to a new owner if I sell the car.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Dealer talked me out taking extended warranty on purchase because manufacturer's extended warranty isn't transferable to a new owner if I sell the car.

Oh dear! 

I do wish dealers knew what they were selling... or at least said nothing!

• Like 1

Omg... Get that sorted if I was you !

Qatar,

I am coming to near the end of my fourth year of my five year warranty and it is definitely worth it for peace of mind and repairs. Next visit will be for internal drivers door handle which is a bit squiffy.