Fitted vogtland springs and damper - OUCH

40mm drop, fitted it all including new top mounts and bearings.

It feels fine, everything is tight but even 10mph over a speed bump sounds as if it's bottoming out or somethin? Makes a horrible knock or bang.

Corners and roundabouts are amazing, one of my mates has a clio 182 and was saying how the hell is my car sticking, haha.

A lad who's been in more modified cars thinks it's normal for a lowered car but maybe it is a bit loud, it is the first day mind you.

Thoughts? Things to check?

Only difference I can see is there's a little yellow rubber on the standard shock and nothing on the vogtland one, if that's it then it means my suspension is bottoming out with no effort at all which is ridiculous?

The little yellow thing is a bump stop, it's designed to take that bit of pressure when the suspension does bottom out so its not a big metal to metal contact bang.

I'd be suprised if that's your issue though, did you get the shorter drop links?

The little yellow thing is a bump stop, it's designed to take that bit of pressure when the suspension does bottom out so its not a big metal to metal contact bang.

I'd be suprised if that's your issue though, did you get the shorter drop links?

No, I didn't know I needed to.

Sound like that the problem?

I thought standard drop links were fine for a 40mm drop, no?

If not you need MkI Mondeo ones from memory

Even the drop links are in debate, most people fit shorter drop links when fitting coilovers (including myself) others say they arnt needed with lowering springs.

I'm gonna take drop links off first tomorrow and see if it still sounds horrible, if not then obviously I just need shorter ones and that's the problem.

Yes, you should have swapped the bump stops over, it's a vital part of the suspension..

So you think 10mph over a speed bump is using the full length of the shocker and bottoming out?

I agree they need to be fitted, I just didn't think low speeds would cause full travel.

I thought standard drop links were fine for a 40mm drop, no?

If not you need MkI Mondeo ones from memory

See above post about drop links.

It's debatable. I think on 40mm shocks and springs I would use the shorter ones myself

Don't rush into anything, let's see what people think with the bump stops.

If I do the stops and it's not I've wasted hours (in a noob it's took me like 5 hours to do all the suspension.

Drop links will take me 15 mins to whip off and the. I'll drive over some bumps see if it's fixed, if so then shorted drop links and it's sorted, I'm praying it's that!

It's good to replace the drop links at the same time anyway, only two nuts and one of them is off for the shocker :D

Should only be about £15 for the new drop links I suppose.

Just check for any wear or shiny bits when you take the wheel off.

If I do the stops and it's not I've wasted hours (in a noob it's took me like 5 hours to do all the suspension.

Drop links will take me 15 mins to whip off and the. I'll drive over some bumps see if it's fixed, if so then shorted drop links and it's sorted, I'm praying it's that!

You need bump stops regardless. It sounds to me having just repaired a car with similar fault that it is bumpstops
  • Like 2

Whilst that is true, you should have bump stops fitted regardless of if that's causing the noise or not.

• Like 3

my car on coilovers sounded like a box of marbles, 10mph over speedbumps is ok...I had to crawl over any little bump. Yes it was awesome on fast roundabouts, but day to day it was tiresome

....that's why I want to go back to stock

• Like 1

As above,you need bumpstops whatever!

So as we feared on your other thread regarding fitting these,your m8 that 'knows' what he's doing obviously knows jack **** and should not be volunteering to help people work on important parts of a car IMO.

Any one that 'knows' what they are doing would know the bumpstops need to be fitted :)

So you've got another 5 hours to look forward to now doing it all again!!! :)

• Like 3

Also,you will need to get your cars tracking set up once the suspension has settled,or your front tyres will soon wear out.

You will find it handles better again once the tracking is set correctly :)

• Like 2

What Billy said. People with Eibachs at -25mm have had difficulty, I guess another 15mm won't help in that respect.

Either cut down and reglue the OEM ones or fit shorter. (the gluey comment may refer to the rears only, I can't recall...)

I'm swapping back to standard when I'm off work Thursday, lowered life is not for me.

All a learning curve, standard cars from now on.

Hopefully sell them without a massive loss being as they're almost brand new.

• Like 1

I have standard or be it Meyle hd drop links and I do not get any sort of knocking or banging, I had originals on before that and all that happened was they wore out quite quickly but they were a cheap pattern part.

Like I said I don't experience any sort of knocks or bangs but I will scrape the underside of my car from time to time.

I have standard or be it Meyle hd drop links and I do not get any sort of knocking or banging, I had originals on before that and all that happened was they wore out quite quickly but they were a cheap pattern part.

Like I said I don't experience any sort of knocks or bangs but I will scrape the underside of my car from time to time.

I just took it out again with my dad, it's not knocking or banging but it sounds brutal over bumps and scrapes quite a bit.

There's not even a route out of where I live WITHOUT speed bumps, that's why I'm just going to take the loss, go back to standard and learn from it.

I just desperately wanted to get rid of that horrible arch gap, but not to drive this slow.

If there weren't so many speed bumps around where I live they would be awesome, sticks and feels so solid round corners.