New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

3 minutes ago, mikey vrs said:

No contest for me which set of clocks id rather look at....  :D

golf digi.jpg

20170727_114239.jpg

Can you change it so its a big satnav map and the likes like on the Audi's though? That often makes it look loads better imo. 

I agree, in that format the older one looks loads better. 

1 hour ago, john999boy said:

I think the Active Info Display moves the Golf up a few levels to align with other cars in the VAG stable.

Progress = good! ;)

Good that we are all different and not just following the Trend .  Computer says No !

Another non-fan of the digital info displays here, and this comes from someone who was raised with PlayStation and video games (still several years till I become 40) so I should be thinking it's super cool etc. except it's not. I am not anti-tech at all either, I paid for the bigger more expensive infotainment and navigation, the AppConnect features and other latest luxuries but I feel the speedos on any performance car is the last place that needs digitization. I would probably spec the Digital info display on a Tiguan or other purely daily car but on a performance car I'd take a nice analog dash with sporty dials every day of the week, for as long as we can still have it... Plus the dash of a performance car is always part of the overall design, replacing it with a large bland piece of plastic means one less unique feature of the car with no obvious reward other than the "modern, tech look".

• Like 2

To be fair that is the worst picture of an active display I've seen :D I'd have the 'race' dash most of the time, assuming it's available on the Golf, massive rev counter with speed in the middle.

As I said though, it's not the be all and end all, I want to be sure the 7 speed box can be mapped too, else I'll be going for a pre facelift for sure! 

26 minutes ago, matt1chelski said:

To be fair that is the worst picture of an active display I've seen :D I'd have the 'race' dash most of the time, assuming it's available on the Golf, massive rev counter with speed in the middle.

As I said though, it's not the be all and end all, I want to be sure the 7 speed box can be mapped too, else I'll be going for a pre facelift for sure! 

FWIW the original analogue display is still available as a no cost option. 

As for the 7-speed DSG, what / why would you want it remapped, does it not perform as you would wish?

I've had a short drive in a 7.5 R & the box did all I wanted it to.......

DC

• Like 1

18 hours ago, old newbie2 said:

FWIW the original analogue display is still available as a no cost option. 

As for the 7-speed DSG, what / why would you want it remapped, does it not perform as you would wish?

I've had a short drive in a 7.5 R & the box did all I wanted it to.......

DC

Increase clamping pressure to cope with extra power from a remapped engine, adjust when the box changes to allow for the change in power curve after a remap and stop it changing up automatically in manual mode are the main bits that sounded like a bit of me. 

Edited by matt1chelski

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

One way to build your integral garage.

VW , does this meet the EU Safety Test Rating or will VW have to develop a Scrappage scheme for  young *******  who can't handle the power at 1.30am. No doubt after a few beers,As a consequence inflates our bloody insurance premiums.

If only he had had the Focus RS's Drift Mode available, he could have created the sideways Double Garage .

41 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

One way to build your integral garage.

VW , does this meet the EU Safety Test Rating or will VW have to develop a Scrappage scheme for  young *******  who can't handle the power at 1.30am. No doubt after a few beers,As a consequence inflates our bloody insurance premiums.

If only he had had the Focus RS's Drift Mode available, he could have created the sideways Double Garage .

It's the most nicked car in Britain. 

This is what's pushing the insurance up. 

Not the odd bell end that parks it up a tree. 

I do know that some people have parked their cars in the house to admire them etc..

usually they have the  builders in the create special doors.......I suppose he just chose the DIY approach...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tubbytommy said:

Stats please for "most nicked car in the UK"??

What source? Facts not speculation.

49 minutes ago, tubbytommy said:

28 minutes ago, vrskeith said:

Stats please for "most nicked car in the UK"??

What source? Facts not speculation.

According to info here on Autocar its the BMW X5...

https://www.whatcar.com/news/the-most-stolen-cars-in-the-uk-4/

NO VW in the top 10..all mainly big SUVs....& the old Defender as going out of production so second hand values are rocketing...

16 hours ago, fabdavrav said:

I do know that some people have parked their cars in the house to admire them etc..

usually they have the  builders in the create special doors.......I suppose he just chose the DIY approach...

Motorbikes in the dining room or on walls, yeah. I've seen a Ducati 916 on a wall. Nice. 

But a car in the house? You'd have to have a bloody big dining room :D 

Edited by fabiamk2SE
  • Like 1

Its been posted on a Golf R forum that im a member of that the car wasnt stolen,the driver has been named as one of the lads knows him,he is a young lad in his 20's & had been spotted driving like a **** around York earlier that night with a car full of his mates....ive just renewed my insurance & its cost me £30 more to insure my R than it did my mk2 octy vrs. I hope the house owner makes a full recovery,thank god it didnt happen earlier in the day when that living room could have been full of a family inc kids.

• Like 1

Yep Ben I did but chopped it in for the Boxster, but also had an R mk7 5dr Hatch manual as well.

The Estate is now 7speed DSG only, My one gripe really, as  I'm really a manual man but only compromise for the other half who will be driving it more now and much room for the dog possibly dogs. Back to some joint business use for us both when needing the space.

Still looks great to me , being an old fart who likes subtle , even more so now in Indium Grey as opposed to my previous Lapiz Blue others.

46 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

Is that your new one?

Thought you had an estate before?

Are they still only DSG in estate format.?

Looks a bit fat/squished!

Thank you Thomas,

10 minutes ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Nice! 

do those wheels replace the previous black and diamond cut wheels? 

Those look loads better. 

19" Pretorias top option, in black or alloy finish

19 " Spielberg mid option.

18" Cádiz still standard.