New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

8 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

Just wish the golf made a decent noise.

Been looking around now for about 5 months for something to float my boat but want a proper noise :)

It'll always be a 4pot but the exhaust makes a difference. Either a res delete or a new exhaust. I went for a res delete and it pops on overrun and farts on gear change. 

36 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

Been looking around now for about 5 months for something to float my boat but want a proper noise :)

Not going down the old M135i or M140i sling you in the ditch variety then,plenty of cheap ones of those about. Not the assurance of the 4 Motion though. Or strap a Milltek on it or a used Akro on it  on an R, think there might be other options 

1 hour ago, jrw said:

Manuals aren't that popular due to the clutch being a major weak point on these models. 310 is the pre wltp model 👍

I reckon I could get £23-25k for my 16 reg 3dr oryx white with just 7k on clock. Fully specced apart from roof and leather. 

I' ll be on my 3rd manual R now , never had a clutch issue ever, all cars since 2014, all covering 25000 mile plus of  hard mileage. My belief is that it's down to driving style or ******* who tuned  the car without thinking  about the effects of doing so. Complaining onYouTube or owners websites. Non engineers no doubt.

Edited by vrskeith

2 hours ago, Defenderben said:

Edited by vrskeith

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

Mustang V8 if fuel economy is not a concern.;)

Not the best for Defenderben's Devonshire country twisty narrow stuff in the winter months I guess.

6 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

Audi RS3? - lovely 5-pot warble...

Yep, might depend on the budget I guess. Also earlier used model or current.

Never forgot this video and conclusion : 6years on and only fine tuned of the RMK7 - RMK7.5 classic concept evolution Now waiting 2020 for R mk8 plus 350bhp not the R400 yet but maybe a hybrid

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

Been contemplating a few cars.

Was looking at Audi S4 has nice engine noise or as you mention the RS3.

Now avoiding the 1 series, never really been a good looker for me, did seriously contemplate one a while ago.

Could still go oil burner BM 330/335d, not best sound but better than any other diesels.

Doing lots of reading up on engines and potential problems etc to ensure I don’t get a duffer.

• Like 1

The nicest sounding car I have ever owned was a B7 Audi RS4 (with the 4.2 V8 engine that revs to 8250rpm) which sounded amazing especially with a non-res Milltek exhaust. If I wasn't retired and having to think about running costs I would still own it today, but I did love it every day of the 10 years I owned it.

• Like 2

The Audi S4 B9 version is looking the most promising at the moment around mid £20k for a good clean 17/67 plate with low miles. Just trying to get up to speed on kit levels and what are must have etc.

Anyone got any thoughts on these?

As this is the golf R thread, perhaps I should start a new one?

Edited by Defenderben

9 hours ago, Defenderben said:

The Audi S4 B9 version is looking the most promising at the moment around mid £20k for a good clean 17/67 plate with low miles. Just trying to get up to speed on kit levels and what are must have etc.

Ben,

Have you got any test drives lined up. Are you getting from Audi dealerships near you or are you prepared to travel to get the right car, ie 150 mile radius? 

Picking up my used R MK 7.5 310 bhp manual today - 140 miles away , it's taken me about a 6 weeks to get the right one for me. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Defenderben said:

V6 supercharged, if that sounds rocks your boat...

2 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

V6 supercharged, if that sounds rocks your boat...

I was tempted by a 4.2V8 Audi RS4 estate with 444bhp on a 63 plate for £31,000 then I came over all sensible and bought a 19 plate Superb Sportline Plus with 5,000 miles for £23,840 instead.:D

• Like 2

On 22/12/2019 at 21:40, Defenderben said:

Edited by vrskeith
  • Like 1

I was hooked on the GolfR mk7 by this in April 2014.Had been reading the press releases prior to that.

Bought my 1st R in May 2014 hasn't dimmed even in 2019/20

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBd8b3NUfDfkkYAmZgpCr7Q

This really should have been the culmination for the R MK7 -7.5 prior to the Rmk8 arrival in 2020/21

With manual box twin central tailpipes .

( Seems like Dieselgate put pay to this stunning iteration)

Edited by vrskeith

I posted this on BMW M1351 thread, but thought I'd also post here...

For any "R" lovers who are considering the latest BMW M135i xdrive...

Following post may be controversial...

""Friends got the new 2020 M135i xdrive..had a good look around it the other day......not impressed & even he's having second thoughts & he's a BMW fan having owned various smaller "M"...

Personal notes (having been in his other "M"s...&.considering this car is supposed to take on the Golf R/Merc):-

1. defo tell its the cheapest range in the group.

2. sounds like a diesel tractor on start up! (aftermarket exhaust required to solve)

3. rear foot room (i.e. height of space to stick feet under seat) with bucket seats is way less than current Golf

4. bucket seats are to narrow!!…& he commented on it first & he's very slim build (70kg).

5. rear camera, just like the Octavia..exposed all the time!! ...VW have it retracting behind the boot badge on a mass produced cheaper car!

6. rear diffuser is to short & you can clearly see the whole of the bottom section of the exhaust back box.

7. screenwash tank is black plastic, not clear/white, so can't easily tell the screenwash level.

8. the 4 pot calipers are way too big for the number of pots...the Porsche Macan Brembo 4pots are lighter, dirt cheap & you can fit 17" alloys over them! (& yes I know the Golf R has single piston types)

9. digital dash needles/speedo/revs...no "analog style" round type...unlike Golf..

10. main earth point behind big "+" is just a surplus cable crimp terminal (eye)….not a proper bayonet metal bracket

11, steering wheel not flat bottomed..

& the styling....NOPE....fake rear brake vents, extended fake upper section of the main grill.....looks like a Kia or various other Asian cars.....…..but that's personal choice..

Only things I really liked was the rear roof tails, buttons still on the dash (unlike new Mk8 Golf), factory 4 pots, twin struts for the bonnet (MK8 Golf has none as they pinched it to give to the MK4 Octavia)

I'd personally pick the previous gen M135i..""

• Like 1

I spent about 3 mins looking at the latest BMW 135i today, didn’t float my boat, so walked on by. Especially now it has lost the straight 6 noise 😞

Did manage a decent test drive of a 67 plate 20k mile S4 B9.....it was ok but TBH the gearbox was a disappointment, very much like an old automatic nowhere near as precise as a DSG.

It was fully loaded and retailed new @ £48.5k! On the forecourt for £26.7k and I hadn’t even attempted to negotiate as it didn’t float my boat. 
Still looking now for alternatives :)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911144360959

Edited by Defenderben
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

I spent about 3 mins looking at the latest BMW 135i today, didn’t float my boat, so walked on by.

Did manage a decent test drive of a 67 plate 20k mile S4 B9.....it was ok but TBH the gearbox was a disappointment, very much like an old automatic nowhere near as precise as a DSG.

It was fully loaded and retailed new @ £48.5k! On the forecourt for £26.7k and I hadn’t even attempted to negotiate as it didn’t float my boat. 
Still looking now for alternatives :)

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201911144360959?radius=70&model=S4&sort=relevance&make=AUDI&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=pl40qa&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

The S4 would have cost £465 per year road tax for the first 5 years if that concerns you, it would me as £145 for my 272 Superb is somewhat of a bargain.:o

18 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

The S4 would have cost £465 per year road tax for the first 5 years if that concerns you, it would me as £145 for my 272 Superb is somewhat of a bargain.:o

I knew that any plus £40k list price car is subject to £320 luxury car tax, as you mentioned. So it wouldn’t of been a surprise or a deal breaker but around £20k loss from new, in 2 years is pretty frightening.

Trouble is the 272 is a 4 cylinder with no noise 😞

The search continues. Been offered a really nice well looked after 2006 Focus ST3 with factory fitted mountune kit, for sensible money, now that makes a nice noise; just shame about the slightly chavvy looks IMO.

Edited by Defenderben

2 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

I knew that any plus £40k list price car is subject to £320 luxury car tax, as you mentioned. So it wouldn’t of been a surprise or a deal breaker but around £20k loss from new, in 2 years is pretty frightening.

The search continues. Been offered a really nice well looked after 2006 Focus ST3 with factory fitted mountune kit, for sensible money, now that makes a nice noise; just shame about the slightly chavvy looks IMO.

Agree about the 5 cylinder 2.3 litre warble on the Focus but even standard ones use a lot of fuel so having an oil well handy would be useful to run a modified version.:)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Defenderben said:

2006 Focus ST3 with factory fitted Mountune kit, for sensible money, now that makes a nice noise; just shame about the slightly chavvy looks

Not just you; in the "Rivers of London" series one character has one (company car, in orange) that he refers to as the "Ford ASBO".

• Haha 1

On 05/01/2020 at 21:51, Defenderben said:

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/audi/s4/s4-saloon/petrol/automatic/354bhp-all-wheel-drive-white-1_GBR00515974650.htm#/i/s|10,AABG,AABF|1024,50.71841,-3.5339,200,ZXhldGVy/l|12,1,t_geo,U

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/audi/s4/s4-saloon/petrol/automatic/354bhp-all-wheel-drive-red-1_GBR00205961567.htm#/i/s|10,AABG,AABF|1024,50.71841,-3.5339,200,ZXhldGVy/l|12,2,t_geo,U

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/audi/s4/s4-saloon/petrol/automatic/354bhp-all-wheel-drive-black-1_GBR60100948927.htm#/i/s|10,AABG,AABF|1024,50.71841,-3.5339,200,ZXhldGVy/l|12,3,t_geo,U

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar/audi/s4/s4-saloon/petrol/automatic/354bhp-all-wheel-drive-black-1_GBR00121927118.htm#/i/s|10,AABG,AABF|1024,50.71841,-3.5339,200,ZXhldGVy/l|12,3,t_geo,U