New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

Are you saying a Golf R Estate exhaust sounds cheap.?l

Sounds wonderful at full chat from outside or following one IMO.

The sound is not cheap...just the suggestion to rip the factory VW tip trims of & replace with a stainless ebay purchase...

It's be a brand-new car, why would one waste any more money on cosmetic alterations?

• Like 1

So GolfR launched Sept 2013 ,UK March 2014. Reviewed by Carmagazine by George Kacher their well respected journo. With hindsight of 2014/15 horhatch or the year,I wonder what he would say now.

And in 2016 with in a whisker of the current journos much vaunted new crop of hyper hatches.http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/volkswagen/vw-golf-r-2014-review/

Edited by vrskeith

Think this is relevant (I thought it was an RS but looking at pics it might have just been an R).. saw this today in Suffolk, kinda stood out (I'm not much of a Golf fan but do like a good looking, well presented, car)

golf%20rs.jpg

• Like 1

I was out in mine last night just as sun was going down and must admit they really are a dammed good looking car IMO, from all angles.

I had to nip into to my office and left swmbo sat in it, so left keys in and the DRL's and mirror puddle lights were on etc. Any thoughts of changing it are a long way off yet.

Also went down around the Plymouth Barbican, my god some of those Transat boats are HUGE and very impressive!

f909af34-692a-490e-9fdc-3698822b8d94_zps

Not taken last night BTW.

Edited by Defenderben
  • Like 2

I was out in mine last night just as sun was going down and must admit they really are a dammed good looking car IMO, from all angles.

I had to nip into to my office and left swmbo sat in it, so left keys in and the DRL's and mirror puddle lights were on etc. Any thoughts of changing it are a long way off yet.

Also went down around the Plymouth Barbican, my god some of those Transat boats are HUGE and very impressive!

f909af34-692a-490e-9fdc-3698822b8d94_zps

Not taken last night BTW.

Ben,

No flashy ,in your face appendages. Just a bloody handsome and very affective car.

Edited by vrskeith

Not bad prices there on the Audi :)

And the brochure quotes a 4.9 0-60 run for the DSG, why bother with the RS3? :)

Edited by Brimma
  • Like 1

It's the options that's a killer on the audi. Spec it up to a golf r and it doesn't look such good value.

As for speed, that's why I didn't bother with rs3, at 12 grand more. I would have just being paying for the noise. I've got a tuning box for my R to sort my 0-60 to 3.6 and I need to decide on an exhaust for the noise as the overrun pops and bangs on the rs are superb

• Like 2

Standard spec of the S3 includes nav, nappa leather seats, 19" wheels and LED lights front and rear

I wouldn't want to add a great deal, if anything, to that

Edited by Brimma

Standard spec of the S3 includes nav, nappa leather seats, 19" wheels and LED lights front and rear

I wouldn't want to add a great deal, if anything, to that

All that for £28k is not bad considering the full rrp

There are lots of good deals out there to be had. There really wasn't much in it between the Golf and the S3 when I was looking if you took them to the same spec. However, leather in the Golf is not really recommended (don't take my word for it look at VWROC for more info), most seats end up being saggy within a short space of time. Even the one in my local dealers was already saggy when I looked the other week and to be honest very disappointing. Not sure whether the Audi leather will go the same why in time and more information may be forthcoming from the forums on this.

You pays your money and takes your choice. I eventually went for the Golf as the estate gives so much more boot space than the S3 fastback. The wife is a hockey goal keeper and if you have seen the size of the kit bag you'll understand why I need the space if I take her to a game. I also manage a hockey team so if I am picking up my keeper (which I do most weeks as he is only a junior so does not drive) I can take him and two others in relative comfort to a game, I wouldn't be able to do that in the Audi.

The only downside of the estate is the DSG only gearbox and the fact you do not get the LED rear lights. I would have preferred a manual as I do feel it is more involving to drive, but then I also like the fact that you can just floor the accelerator and not have to worry about making a gear change. So I guess on this point I do not really know what I want. The rear lights are a disappointment, VW claiming that demand for the R estate (and I assume also the GTI/GTD) would not be sufficient for them to develop a whole new rear light cluster. And yes the dummy exhaust pipes is a little naff but then as my last car was an Octavia VRS diesel (Mk 3) with the dummy exhaust am I really bothered? The estates exhaust is a different design to the hatch and may therefore give rise to greater efficiency, but it would not have been difficult to have just connected them to the outlet of the rear tailpipe rather than just clamping on a dummy. But it was probably cheaper to do this rather than do the job properly.

The golf ticks a lot of boxes, I considered the Audi and decided I needed the space. I also considered the Focus RS but again the space wasn't there and I couldn't live with the looks. And the Mustang really intrigued me (read mid life crisis) but I could not justify the 5.0 litre GT on fuel economy and wasn't sure the 2.3 Eco Boost was really the right way to go. Plus the size of the boot again would have been limiting but then it is a Mustang. The BMW 135 and 235 were also considered but again space was a limiting factor and the fact that I have very little experience with RWD and preferred the safety net of the 4x4 (or was I just kidding myself). 

Its quick enough for me and very civil when driven in ECO (I know, its an R why drive in ECO) and is the only way I can get it to return +30 mpg. When there is absolutely no rush and you are just on a motorway why not use it this way? A and B roads are great fun either in the normal or race settings and so far after 2,300 miles I am averaging around 26 mpg overall.

Great car and absolutely love it, and totally practical apart from the fuel bill, but then why not.

And personally speaking, some people need to recognise that a persons car choice is their own. This thread seems to have a few people wanting to knock the R because their car is better for whatever reason. I think the question to ask here, is it? Or are you just disappointed that you did not pull the pin and buy the R yourself? Or if your needs dictated that an R would not be practical for you at that point in time, accept this and move on. 

Edited by JerryT
  • Like 2

Great post, Jerry, very informative :)

The only thing I might disagree with is your view of the thread

It always used to be a basher of any other car but a R thread, as opposed to a R basher thread

However, leather in the Golf is not really recommended (don't take my word for it look at VWROC for more info), most seats end up being saggy within a short space of time. Even the one in my local dealers was already saggy when I looked the other week and to be honest very disappointing. Common fault on various Golfs in the past, MK4 R32 leather side bolsters on the Konig seats anyone?

You pays your money and takes your choice. I eventually went for the Golf as the estate gives so much more boot space than the S3 fastback. VAG designing it that way with the biggest on MQB size being the Octavia which is also the cheapest, the most expensive is the smallest...(Audi A3 fastback), diminishing returns...pay more for quality, not quantity

The only downside of the estate is the DSG only gearbox Which is why when I managed to clarify that VW where not going to do a Manual "R" estate (as still in testing at the ring & on shows at the time ,mid 2014) I decided to order my current car, anyway if I were to spec an "R" estate to my cars spec I would have to pay an extra £7-8K!!

and the fact you do not get the LED rear lights. I The rear lights are a disappointment, VW claiming that demand for the R estate (and I assume also the GTI/GTD) would not be sufficient for them to develop a whole new rear light cluster. TBO the standard (GT spec) cherry red lights match the "U" in the front better IMHO, & yes cost is an issue with VW for adding bits, bunch of cheapskate not fitting door puddle lights, TPMS switch's etc like on the MK5/MK6

And yes the dummy exhaust pipes is a little naff but then as my last car was an Octavia VRS diesel (Mk 3) with the dummy exhaust am I really bothered? The estates exhaust is a different design to the hatch and may therefore give rise to greater efficiency, but it would not have been difficult to have just connected them to the outlet of the rear tailpipe rather than just clamping on a dummy. But it was probably cheaper to do this rather than do the job properly. Check out my previous post that Milltek still use the VAG trims with their £1,500+ system like WTF??? This is one area if I did have a manual "R" that I would be sorting ASAP...

The golf ticks a lot of boxes, I considered the Audi and decided I needed the space. I also considered the Focus RS but again the space wasn't there and I couldn't live with the looks. And the Mustang really intrigued me (read mid life crisis) but I could not justify the 5.0 litre GT on fuel economy and wasn't sure the 2.3 Eco Boost was really the right way to go. Plus the size of the boot again would have been limiting but then it is a Mustang. The BMW 135 and 235 were also considered but again space was a limiting factor and the fact that I have very little experience with RWD and preferred the safety net of the 4x4 (or was I just kidding myself). Don't mention M135i's on here ...all hell breaks loose, some of the owners don't like a mere "Golf" being better...

Its quick enough for me and very civil when driven in ECO (I know, its an R why drive in ECO) and is the only way I can get it to return +30 mpg. When there is absolutely no rush and you are just on a motorway why not use it this way? A and B roads are great fun either in the normal or race settings and so far after 2,300 miles I am averaging around 26 mpg overall. I also posted earlier that in ECO mode the Haldex locks the rear wheels out so the car is fixed into 2WD mode, no 4WD safety net!!

Edited by fabdavrav

Great post, Jerry, very informative :)

The only thing I might disagree with is your view of the thread

It always used to be a basher of any other car but a R thread, as opposed to a R basher thread

Unfortunately I see this a lot on here these days which is why I tend to stay away. My view is that you have nothing good to say, or you have made your point, leave it at that, don't keep going on about it. 

The S5 was a possibility but the cabin is incredibly outdated with a new model due very soon. It terms of looks I really like the A5, it being very hard to beat but that cabin, it just didn't do it for me unfortunately. 

Ah. Been a while since ive caught up on this thread.

Now i remember why :D.

DefenderBen, nice R. Looks good in the white!

Drive YOUR car how YOU wish :D. Not how some wanna be R owner tells you to :D :D.

• Like 2

. Not how some wanna be R owner tells you to :D :D.

I take it that again that insult is pointed in my direction.... :dull:

Christ all mighty!!... I just make aware to "R" owners who drive their cars In ECO mode that the 4WD is permanently locked into 2WD in that mode, & point out areas that can be improved as VW are cheapskates at the factory. As I drive a MK7 Golf estate my car shares over 75% of the same parts as the "R" so can comment properly on user experience......what is it again that you drive???... :D

As for being "Wanna be" like I said before if they made it in a manual in my colour I would go around to the dealers with a briefcase full of cash & pay there & then, but is it worth £7,270 more than my car to the same spec?? Not really IMHO...especially if I want to keep my licence.... :devil:

Yours shares even more with the 'r' Style Golfs does it not.?

Half the available power, half the wheels that can be driven, and more than the 75% as much to buy as a Golf R!

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 2

Yours shares even more with the 'r' Style Golfs does it not.?

Have the available power, half the wheels that can be driven, and near 75% as much to buy as a Golf R!

No mine is not, as it is not a "want an R but can't afford the insurance or running costs".....

also the R-line is cloth (no alcantara), & no ambient lighting...mine has these as per the "R", & you can't get an R-line in an estate.

Like I said previously the next petrol model down from the R, or to put it differently, the most expensive/top model manual petrol MK7 Golf estate is mine...

Yes VW obviously made the decision that a 1.4TSI would do the job for a petrol car and not do a 2.0 petrol GTI Estate just go with GTD's.

Enough power anyway to get your licence taken away, they can do double the Speed limit.

You pays your money and get a nice interior and adequate performance.

• Like 2