New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

Thanks gents, we won't be bothering with ECO just yet, 'cos do like the idea of the AWD safety net.......

I don't like the coasting experience at all & if you want the fake engine noise reduced just use individual mode to mix & match the options.

If we had wanted better economy, we wouldn't have bought an R........., & SWMBO would still be driving her vRS!

DC

I did point it out that those with the "R" who spend a lot of time driving around in ECO mode would be better off getting a GTI, but a few certain individuals didn't take to kindly to my comments... :giggle:

Still safer than your run of the mill 1.4 that you keep blabbing on about though.

And no. I was just making a point that its their car to drive how they like. Not how somebody on a forum thread tells them to, which ironically doesnt even own one.

You might aswel go on the Lamborghini forum and start telling them how to drive their Aventador's.

TBO most of the videos on UTube show loads of Lambo drivers, not driving but crashing & making elemental mistakes by wanting to be total ****s & show off on a public road, so it doesn't take much to tell them how to drive....

Anyway as you take exception to me being a VW Golf Owner commenting on a VW Golf thread & considering I have driven this particular version & previous versions & serviced them, then WTF are you doing on here? as you appear to drive a Skoda Fabia....

TBO most of the videos on UTube show loads of Lambo drivers, not driving but crashing & making elemental mistakes by wanting to be total ****s & show off on a public road, so it doesn't take much to tell them how to drive....

Anyway as you take exception to me being a VW Golf Owner commenting on a VW Golf thread & considering I have driven this particular version & previous versions & serviced them, then WTF are you doing on here? as you appear to drive a Skoda Fabia....

I like to read about other members R's and the latest new on them. A close family member has one and it interests me, so i like to see what Defenderben and the others have to say about theirs. Not tell them how to drive it though. 

By the way.. are Skoda owners not allowed on a Skoda forum now? :D

• Like 2

That's like me saying my Clio 1.2 I use as a daily is identical to a 182. P.S. in case you didn't know this but you're currently posting on a Skoda forum so a bit of a dead end really telling people who own Skodas not to read a Skoda forum :wall:
  • Like 2

That's like me saying my Clio 1.2 I use as a daily is identical to a 182. P.S. in case you didn't know this but you're currently posting on a Skoda forum so a bit of a dead end really telling people who own Skodas not to read a Skoda forum :wall:

In fact in certain ways you can say it is, shares the same basic body etc. So if there are problems with certain common components & someone has the same problem on their 182PS version, you do have qualification to comment on said problem.

Again as I have repeated ad nausea on here I have never stated, nor to I think that my car is exactly the same as the R estate.

I never stated that Skoda owners should not post on a Skoda site.

Just that fabiamk2SE has a problem with me being an ex-Skoda owner & current MK7 Golf owner posting on this thread...

because he's basically a troll/bored stupid etc...

• Like 1

In fact in certain ways you can say it is, shares the same basic body etc. So if there are problems with certain common components & someone has the same problem on their 182PS version, you do have qualification to comment on said problem.

Again as I have repeated ad nausea on here I have never stated, nor to I think that my car is exactly the same as the R estate.

I never stated that Skoda owners should not post on a Skoda site.

Just that fabiamk2SE has a problem with me being an ex-Skoda owner & current MK7 Golf owner posting on this thread...

because he's basically a troll/bored stupid etc...

I dont have a problem with you posting anywhere, post where you like, do what you like.

People don't appreciate when you start trying to tell them how to drive their cars though. That was my initial point before you went over dramatic.

Anyway. We're banging our heads against a brick wall here.

I wont be sparing you the time of day in future (:

• Like 1

I dont have a problem with you posting anywhere, post where you like, do what you like.

Thanks for clearing that up,... :thumbup:  as unfortunately the impression you gave was totally the opposite.

So we have the first head to head, not sure if a Ford,, VW or an independent company doing tests

Presume a manual Golf R. ( as we already know the DSG out drags, re TG video)

Not sure what rubber on each as no details.

Note! R manual no laugh control

Was RS using its Launch ControlHence the RS would have a Launch advantage in both tests.

However interesting.

Hope Evo do a video soon.

Edited by vrskeith

Interesting review of  a previous Golf GTI mk7 owner ,having PP then stage 1 /2 going for a replacement Golf R mk7.

Interesting review of  a previous Golf GTI mk7 owner ,having PP then stage 1 /2 going for a replacement Golf R mk7.

Rad Fox update on tuning R to stage 2. Drag results video.

So we have the first head to head, not sure if a Ford,, VW or an independent company doing tests

Presume a manual Golf R. ( as we already know the DSG out drags, re TG video)

Not sure what rubber on each as no details.

Note! R manual no laugh control

Was RS using its Launch ControlHence the RS would have a Launch advantage in both tests.

However interesting.

Hope Evo do a video soon.

There was so little in that lap, it was just a draw really wasnt it :D

Interior design wise its the VW every time for me. I like the way VAG do things... Ford, less so. 

Be interesting to hear more on this. These were the 2 which always were going to be close rivals! 

Rad Fox update on tuning R to stage 2. Drag results video.

Thanks Keith.

The guy is a bit OTT though, I really don't need to know where he bought the car or why his GTi wasn't perfect.

Too much talk, very little real info.

The Germans do this better, IMVHO.

DC

Disappointing numbers considering it's a stage 2 :-(. Surprised ET only 107mph.

5000 Ft above sea level does make a difference I believe.

E.G. http://www.dieselarmy.com/engine-tech/boosting-altitude-elevation-effects-turbochargers/ Appreciate the example is diesel.

Edited by vrskeith

Really looking forward to Evo MAG doing a similar test with the Golf R, Focus RS, Honda Type R , Seat Leon Cupra 290 and the soon to arrive Golf GTI Clubsport.

Rather than sticking with A45 AMG, M2 or RS3.

Where cars are more agile on track and also would be good to truly  compare on normal roads ,day to day.

Latest from Autoexpress :http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-reviews/95570/bmw-m2-vs-ford-focus-rs-vs-audi-rs3

Edited by vrskeith

2016 VW Golf GTI Clubsport,  Seat Cupra Leon 290 & Honda Civic Type R is much more of a comparison i am 

interested in seeing, 5 door manuals, 

compare the weights, the prices and on the track and on the road in the UK.

Horses for Coarse with FWD.

• Like 1

2016 VW Golf GTI Clubsport,  Seat Cupra Leon 290 & Honda Civic Type R is much more of a comparison i am 

interested in seeing, 5 door manuals, 

compare the weights, the prices and on the track and on the road in the UK.

Horses for Coarse with FWD.

Manual and DSG would be good to see.

My thoughts are that things are much closer than the  currently hyped up Journos would have us believe.

Edited by vrskeith

Seen a couple of VW estates from a distance lately and noticed they had similar LED rear lights like the mk7 GTD/GTI/R hatch has.

Looking up on internet seems it is the new Passat estate, pity they didn't do the Golf R estates rear lights this way too, I know it doesn't effect performance but being the premium model you would have thought they would of:(

Seen a couple of VW estates from a distance lately and noticed they had similar LED rear lights like the mk7 GTD/GTI/R hatch has.

Looking up on internet seems it is the new Passat estate, pity they didn't do the Golf R estates rear lights this way too, I know it doesn't effect performance but being the premium model you would have thought they would of:(

Passats have had them for a while. 

We had a 2007 Passat with LED taillights. Maybe just not the design you're thinking of :D

Nice to see things have moved on a little since we had our last one though. 

We had a new one back in 2010. It was a CR140 DSG Sportline, which now is the same as the GT model im assuming. 

Few nice features added. Bi-xenon optional now which wasnt then, Nav is standard which wasnt then etc. 

Having said that, would of had a GTD estate if they did one at the time, but the CR140 DSG was the quickest diesel estate they did at the time. I'm glad they've filled that market!

• 2 weeks later...

This guy does go on a bit about the DSG. Yes it's a good box but not perfect imo.

My manual hatch,had a slick and precise box,which I enjoyed immensely.So not sure where he is getting the negative opinions about it. Wish VW offered it in the R Estate, missing Launch Control,etc no not me. Countryroad use ,for me the manual is the bees knees and enhances the R experience. However, each to their own.