2016 F1 General Discussion Thread

camelspyyder

My favourite quote of the Mansell, Prost and of course Senna, battle was "Prost was the cleverest, Mansell the bravest and Senna the fastest".  Halcyon days :)

change 'Prost to the sneakiest one' and I would agree.

I always think back to Silverstone 1988. Prost & Senna in the McLaren with the Honda engine and Mansell in a dog of a Williams Judd. Williams changed the active ride suspension to standard springs on Friday night after sourcing the parts locally (I seem to recall that a car spares shop stayed open late so they could collect them) Mansell qualified 11th. On the Sunday it rained, Prost went backwards and retired the car fairly early, Senna won with Mansell second. Mansell also posted fastest lap. I watched it all from Woodcote, happy days.

• Like 1

Glad to have helped your nostalgia! 

I loved the 1500bhp era. Think about it; 1500bhp from 1500cc is still, some 30 years later, almost mind bogglingly unbelievable! And the man who tamed the wild turbos the best? Some mad Finn named Rosberg! Who became World Champion by winning just one race in a season! They were very different years!

True, with the notes that in 1982 no-one won more than 2 races and there were eleven different winners across the season.

Also the 1500bhp is a guesstimated qualifying "grenade engine" output; BMW and Honda both said that the Porsche 917/30 with a mere 1_200bhp was the most powerful engine ever run in road racing.

• Like 1

Sadly 1982 also saw one of the title favourites killed and his championship leading teammate crippled.

An exciting but tragic season.

Tweenster - if you go up to the dump at Kirkby on Bain, there is a poly bag very near the top of the landfill containing all of my Duke Motorsports F1 season reviews from '81 to '05.

you'll just need a VHS machine to play them on.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Sadly 1982 also saw one of the title favourites killed and his championship leading teammate crippled.

An exciting but tragic season.

Tweenster - if you go up to the dump at Kirkby on Bain, there is a poly bag very near the top of the landfill containing all of my Duke Motorsports F1 season reviews from '81 to '05.

you'll just need a VHS machine to play them on.

LOL! I think my collection of those videos starts at about the same time. I stopped before 05 though.

Yes, 82 was awful.

More electric and less internal combustion probably.   Currently 80% of full power is from the IC engine and 20% from electric.  I would expect that to change to 60/40 then 50/50, then 20/80 and eventually pure electric in a decade or so.   Not just better regen via brakes ie so no conventional disks and pads are needed so there is purely regen. Much better use of super-capacitors for storage of power for just a few seconds and the batteries for longer term storage ie starting the race, quick change battery packs in the pit stops?   Have a look at the Isle of Man electric bike in the next few days, quantum steps, getting to respectable lap times, maybe a 120 mph average speed lap down the B roads.    

I wasn't just thinking engines when I referred to the engineers; ground effect, skirts, the Brabham fan car, the McLaren MP4/4 carbon monocoque etc were all from that era.

LOL! I think my collection of those videos starts at about the same time. I stopped before 05 though.

Yes, 82 was awful.

I wasn't just thinking engines when I referred to the engineers; ground effect, skirts, the Brabham fan car, the McLaren MP4/4 carbon monocoque etc were all from that era.

Absolutely there is as much to do in the chassis department, and even outside the vehicle,  as the engine.

Reducing vehicle weight, not using steel but using aluminium and carbon fibre for the body work, perhaps using aluminium for the electrics rather than copper for both weight and recycling reasons.

Much better in car ICT making better journey planning can help make road vehicle more efficient within the journeys.  Road network is full of weaknesses ie letting cars on to the motorway network when the next junction is blocked and has been for several hours.  Google maps can help with that but it should be built in to the car controls.  Lots to do but so much commercial interest at stake the UK government tends to be weak in actually governing the issues.  Cases like the minimum fuel consumption in the US in the 70s and the French gradually enforcing laws to ban or restrict older dirty cars, London ULEZ but it is a weak imitation of a proper scheme but maybe that will gather speed with new mayor.

Smaller engines of course.  Oft amazed how my 0.9 litre Dacia does everything so well ie 55 mpg, cruises at indicated 80 mph, will do 110. Sub 1 litre being the normal in A and B segment cars and coming in to C segment too.  

• Like 1

@camelspyder

@tweenster

If you find them vhs's gime a shout, ive 2 vvhs players with remotes in the attic that pretty much work. Ill see about posting them for the cost of freedom renewals :D

• Like 1

Mate...I'm not going digging at the dump to get my vids back- I only cleared them out 2 months ago.

But I do regret it, as I have done every time in the last 25 years that one of my collections has suddenly been re-graded as "clutter" by SWMBO. :(

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2

How poor are the Mercedes starts?  Just awful.

Now the Mercedes are not quicker down the straights than the Ferrari and only marginally quicker than the Renault engined cars we might have an interesting rest of season.

Says a lot about merc starts when on one of the shortest runs to turn one, Vettel is already ahead of both less than halfway there. I would put Ferrari and Mercedes engines about level. Merc do have more tokens to use though. Do think Hamilton controlled that in the end despite older tyres. Great drive by both in a league of their own

There's plenty of good reasons why they two have won over 90 GP and 7 titles.

I think those who rate Alonso as the top man should probably reconsider now.  Vettel and Hamilton are clearly the top 2 of this generation.

Rosberg quoted as "pi55ed off" at Hamilton's move.

What move?

Side by side with Hamilton on the inside - had Rosberg given him 15cm more space they would have ended lap 1 in positions 2-3 not 2-10.

He should be more pi55ed off that Max has gone back to weaving in the braking zones - the FIA should stamp on that before the kid hurts someone on the track (or in the crowd)

• Like 1

Got to agree about Alonso. I still rate him very highly but always had a question mark over his temperament. I get that he is frustrated scratching around for 1-2 points maximum but I doubt Vettel or Hamilton would be on the radio with 5 laps left asking to park up.

The start was a repeat of Melbourne, only Rosberg seems to have forgotten that - when he bumped Hamilton down to 7th/8th place in a similar incident at turn 1.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Not forgetting a strikingly similar occurrence at Canada 2014 when Hamilton got the better start from p2 but got elbowed out. They all do it on lap one anyway

See I took the Alonso thing as him wanting to come in for fresh tyres, he said about going back out and having some fun rather than driving round on 55 lap old tyres.

Can see where you are coming from. Have to say that to me he sounded weary and fed up. Half expected him to make the same noises as the 'GP2 engine' comment from last year :D

@camelspyder

@tweenster

If you find them vhs's gime a shout, ive 2 vvhs players with remotes in the attic that pretty much work. Ill see about posting them for the cost of freedom renewals :D

I still have mine somewhere but as we have recently moved house they could be anywhere. If I find them I will let you know (I have an idea but don't want to be over-confident!).

Rosberg quoted as "pi55ed off" at Hamilton's move.

What move?

Side by side with Hamilton on the inside - had Rosberg given him 15cm more space they would have ended lap 1 in positions 2-3 not 2-10.

He should be more pi55ed off that Max has gone back to weaving in the braking zones - the FIA should stamp on that before the kid hurts someone on the track (or in the crowd)

As you say "what move?" If you can find the overhead shot from the airship, the Stevenage Gangsta left turn 1 on a line that was mutually tangent to the insides of turns 1 and 2, so clearly intended to force Rosberg off the inside of the track at turn 2.

As you say "what move?" If you can find the overhead shot from the airship, the Stevenage Gangsta left turn 1 on a line that was mutually tangent to the insides of turns 1 and 2, so clearly intended to force Rosberg off the inside of the track at turn 2.

Ken, is that not the racing line through 1 and 2?

But yes I agree he did drive his line though there was a car alongside.

and as previously posted by ben1990, a very similar move Rosberg put on Hamilton at the same place 2 years ago...

see video below.  The difference being one of them knows when to avoid a collision and the other just waits for it to happen?

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

@10:05

Hamilton ahead on outside - Rosberg dives in and his teammate drives off the track to avoid a collision.

as opposed to Nico who since then seems to see actually having the crash as preferable to being overtaken?

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Ken, is that not the racing line through 1 and 2?

But yes I agree he did drive his line though there was a car alongside.

and as previously posted by ben1990, a very similar move Rosberg put on Hamilton at the same place 2 years ago...

see video below.  The difference being one of them knows when to avoid a collision and the other just waits for it to happen?

I see what you're getting at about 2014, but in that case Nico was a half-car length ahead coming out of turn 1 (based on your video).

In 2016 they were dead level so the Gangsta was not entitled to take the racing line; the rules say he has to leave a car width on turn 2.

• Like 1

Did anyone look at the vid of the Baku track?

All new tracks have new safety standards and wide open spaces to brake. 

How the h*** did they approve driving with over 360 (estimate, the straight is very looooong) through this city? 

Edited by magic62