Paddle shifters

I was thinking of getting them just because they aren't too expensive, but then decided against it. Not regretting it as have only used the tiptronic mode once.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have added them to my order, but in theory I don't really see the point of them as if they are to be used, may as well have gone down the manual gearbox route!

But, what do I know....having never had an automatic before (in this country)....for all I know, they will be very useful.....time will tell, likewise the ventilated and vibrating  seats I have also ordered.

I have added them to my order, but in theory I don't really see the point of them as if they are to be used, may as well have gone down the manual gearbox route!

But, what do I know....having never had an automatic before (in this country)....for all I know, they will be very useful.....time will tell, likewise the ventilated and vibrating  seats I have also ordered.

The seats are only ventilated I'm afraid UncleWang although I'd be happy if they vibrated as well ;)

I ordered them as they were such a cheap option, I didn’t even need to as I swapped my steering wheel for a flat bottomed one, I have only used them a few times but I’m glad I have them.

One scenario:

You want / need to overtake someone quickly (single carriageway) so into sport, indicate, floor it as you pull out (car will drop a few gears), pull back in then manually change back into 6th as you ease off the throttle.

Given the low cost of adding them I think it would make since to have them. Even if you don't use them much it's something that might help shift on a car down the road when it comes to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I won't buy a car with DSG unless it also had the paddles. The DSG gearbox is good but it reacts to what is happening NOT what is going to happen. The paddles let you anticipate and over-ride the auto gear selection without the need to remove a hand from the steering wheel to select manual mode.

A typical use for me is when overtaking. Rather than use kick-down which can be uncomfortable (and occasionally surprising) for passengers I use the paddles to change down (1 or 2 or 3 gears) BEFORE starting to overtaking and then smoother acceleration can be used. When necessary a longer pull on the right paddle will revert to auto.

Sports mode is useless on the diesel as it holds the gears beyond the revs where the diesel is over peak power. Modulating the throttle in Drive causes the DGS to change up at more suitable revs.

So to my mind the paddles are definitely worth the extra cost on a new car. My car was bought when 15 months old but the paddles were standard fit on that model.

• Like 2

I have them on mine and use them every time I drive. The DSG box cannot read the road ahead and when coming out of a sharper corner is usually in the wrong gear. I use mine to drop a cog and have a better gear selected.

When overtaking I use them again as it means I still have both hands on the wheel.

Finally there are times when the box wants to stay in 5th on a level road when 6th is fine, so I use them then.

Once finished 'playing' just hold the right hand paddle for a couple of seconds and you're back in auto DSG.

The main reason for having them? You keep both hands on the wheel at all times. I have them on the X6 too (default fit) and have 'converted' to their use. Although initially I didn't use them much on the X6, I would much rather have them available than not on any car.

• Like 1

Agree with Felis. I use them very regularly to tell the box what the road is about to need. On hills for example it can take the box a little while to register the incline so I just select 2 and smoothly progress up without worrying. And with emerging from roundabouts a quick getaway without the kickdown lag and/or overtaking smoother without surprising passengers is achieved without letting go of the wheel to switch to tiptronic.

For £95, definitely worth it. (Oh, and just to throw it out there... You can spend about £15 on eBay for some rather nice alloy paddle extenders which stick on with some supplied 3M pads. Makes the paddles easier to reach from the upper boulder grip)

• Like 1

I added them to my order because they are so cheap and they cannot be retrofitted without changing the entire steering wheel.

Better to have them and not use them often than to not have them and want them later on.

• Like 3

It depends a lot on your driving style. If your driving style is relaxed (which doesn't mean "slow"), you are only going to use the paddles for the first two weeks and only for demonstrating it to your friends and relatives while showing them your car. Later you are going to use them... almost never. But if your driving style is sportive or agressive (which doen't mean "fast"), go for the paddles.

Anyway they cannot be retrofitted and it's a fairly cheap option, so my advide is... go for them :dance:

Anyway they cannot be retrofitted and it's a fairly cheap option, so my advide is... go for them :dance:

Not true,

they can be retro-fitted but you will need a replacement steering wheel as well,l so ordering them now is the cheaper option (unless you intend to upgrade the steering wheel anyway)

At £95, it's a good VFM option as you get the nice 3 spoke steering wheel as well. I'd rather have them and not use them, rather than not have them and wonder what i'm missing......

I think nearly everyone has said this but it's just my two pence worth. 

Have them but never use them, they just dont seem to match the character of a 150PS diesel. I can understand people wanting them with a sportier / 280PS model though.

Nothing to do with having a 'sportier' car - the paddles are about giving the driver quick extra control over the DSG'sgear selection where you can see what gear WILL be required but the DSG is basing its decisions on what is happening now. The same control is, of course, available by selecting Manual on the selector lever but the paddles have the advantage of quicker selection without removing a hand from the steering wheel.

• Like 3

The steering wheels are identical apart from the paddles.

If you want a better feeling wheel then the perforated vRS wheel is the one to go for (in either round or flat bottomed)

All the S3’s now come with a 3 spoke leather wheel  :thumbup:

They do? The way the option is worded (3 spoke leather multifunction steering wheel with DSG paddles Only available in combination with DSG transmission) it's as though the 3 spoke bit is also optional...... :notme:

My Superb II DSG came without flappy paddles and after having similar buttons on my previous car (Lexus IS300) I didn't think I'd miss them but I have since purchased the flappy paddle steering wheel from a fellow member and have them and use them quite often.

The reason I like them is that living in a hilly city like Sheffield I find the DSG will sometimes stay in a lower gear than necessary when going uphill and rather than having to shift the gearstick to 'M' and change gear and then remember to move it back to 'D' or 'S' having the paddles means I can just overrule the DSG and change up and then about 5 seconds later the car goes back to full auto again.

The annoying thing is that when I do this the DSG will then happily stay in the higher gear I put it in when it goes back to auto rather than dropping back to the lower gear it was in before so it sometimes leaves me thinking why didn't it just change up itself!!!