Paddle shifters

They do? The way the option is worded (3 spoke leather multifunction steering wheel with DSG paddles Only available in combination with DSG transmission) it's as though the 3 spoke bit is also optional...... :notme:

Yes I noticed that also, a bit naughty IMO

The ŠKODA Superb S 

Standard Equipment

COMFORT & CONVENIENCE

3 spoke leather multi-function steering wheel 

I had them on my old Octavia DSG. I don't think they were touched once.Like most things in life now, machines and computers can do the job quicker and better than you an I so I say its a waste. Let the £2000 extra option you paid for do its job!

Edited by OCScene

Yes I noticed that also, a bit naughty IMO

The ŠKODA Superb S 

Standard Equipment

COMFORT & CONVENIENCE

3 spoke leather multi-function steering wheel 

This will make me sound like a git, but I only really looked at what came with the SE-L and L&K models...... :peek:

The same control is, of course, available by selecting Manual on the selector lever but the paddles have the advantage of quicker selection without removing a hand from the steering wheel.

Yes, and the manual option on the selector lever is set up for left-hand drive, i.e. not within such easy reach as it would be on a left-hooker. Furthermore, (sadly like most autos these days) it's set up totally counter-intuitively: it should be backward = up, forward = down, but it’s the opposite.

There's no way I could live with an auto that doesn’t have paddles.

Edited by eurotraveller

Whenever I head towards Dover dock (from the A2 -Jubilee Way))

On most hills just lifting off usually holds the car back enough.

That's how I used mine for engine breaking as a petrol engine will just run away on steep hills, the tsi engine was so quiet you couldn't hear it, first time I used the paddle from traffic lights forgotten using it drove around town in first gear doing about 4000 rpm!

Sometimes used it on motorway to get from 7th to 5th gear, it was over a £300 option on the mk2, £100 it's a no brainier really just like the smart light on the L&K.

Edited by BurialConstant

I had them on my last E class, used them once to see how they worked, then never bothered again!

Can't see the point on a modern auto car, the box works perfecly all on it's own.

I added them simply for use in the winter, I live on a hilly and winding backroad that is single lane and ditches at the side.  It often gets icy in the winter and my thinking was it allowed me to use the car like a manual to slow the car by the engine rather than the break.  Also will use them in Austria on the mountain roads to hold the car back on the down sections.

Yes, and the manual option on the selector lever is set up for left-hand drive, i.e. not within such easy reach as it would be on a left-hooker. Furthermore, (sadly like most autos these days) it's set up totally counter-intuitively: it should be backward = up, forward = down, but it’s the opposite.

There's no way I could live with an auto that doesn’t have paddles.

Thanks for that. I've ordered today with the paddles.

That's how I used mine for engine breaking as a petrol engine will just run away on steep hills, the tsi engine was so quiet you couldn't hear it, first time I used the paddle from traffic lights forgotten using it drove around town in first gear doing about 4000 rpm!

Sometimes used it on motorway to get from 7th to 5th gear, it was over a £300 option on the mk2, £100 it's a no brainier really just like the smart light on the L&K.

Yep, ordered L&K today with paddles and Smart Light. Thanks for your advice.

Sports mode is useless on the diesel as it holds the gears beyond the revs where the diesel is over peak power. Modulating the throttle in Drive causes the DGS to change up at more suitable revs.

Not sure what car and engine you are basing that theory on, but on a 190 S3 the maximum power is produced at 3,695 RPM, whilst in sport mode the DSG changes up before 3,500 RPM, so not pointless at all if you want / need to use all the available power.

Nothing to do with having a 'sportier' car - the paddles are about giving the driver quick extra control over the DSG'sgear selection where you can see what gear WILL be required but the DSG is basing its decisions on what is happening now. The same control is, of course, available by selecting Manual on the selector lever but the paddles have the advantage of quicker selection without removing a hand from the steering wheel.

+1

Nothing to do with having a 'sportier' car - the paddles are about giving the driver quick extra control over the DSG'sgear selection where you can see what gear WILL be required but the DSG is basing its decisions on what is happening now. The same control is, of course, available by selecting Manual on the selector lever but the paddles have the advantage of quicker selection without removing a hand from the steering wheel.

And don't forget  the fact that when using the paddles the car will go back to auto mode itself after a few seconds without the driver having to do anything.... Compared to having to remember to move the gear stick back to auto mode.

Edited by WaveyDavey

Not sure what car and engine you are basing that theory on, but on a 190 S3 the maximum power is produced at 3,695 RPM, whilst in sport mode the DSG changes up before 3,500 RPM, so not pointless at all if you want / need to use all the available power.

Not theory, observation on the car I own (as shown in my post) - 2012 Octavia vRS CR DSG. At near full throttle in Sports mode the gears are held to 4700-4800rpm whilst max power is at 4200rpm.

Not theory, observation on the car I own (as shown in my post) - 2012 Octavia vRS CR DSG. At near full throttle in Sports mode the gears are held to 4700-4800rpm whilst max power is at 4200rpm.

There might be a good reason for that, when the DSG finally upshifts you will be further up the power curve in the next gear.

All our cars, (2.0  TSi) up shift at 6500 rpm which is 700 / 900 rpm higher than max power, (all remapped, but all the power & torque curves differ a little).

But, if you have paddles to hand, you can shift where / when ever you desire, even is "S" mode.

DC

Paddles Rule. OK?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to tiptronic/DSG gearboxes but I have now got used to slipping into manual and changing down a gear or two on entry to corners and roundabouts, for the engine braking and so it stays stable when accelerating through the curve. Pop it back into auto once back on the straight bit.

BUT I do that using the shifter. I have paddles but they are never in the right place because I move my hands around the steering wheel. And it takes a second or two of thinking to work out where they are each time.

Paddles are not for me, and if it was an easy mod I would take them off.

Perhaps you can try out Paddle extenders? A couple of quid on eBay and stuck on with some 3M, they work a treat and enable me to shift down more easily through maneuvers (especially roundabouts) no matter where the hands are on the wheel.

Have a nosy here 'http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/367311-the-superb-iii-picture-thread/?p=4514552' to see how they look before giving up on the paddles for good!

Edited by Dilz
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi,

A big up on this topic. I'm French (yes a "Froggy" ;), even I personnaly don't like frog legs). Sorry then If I make some language mistakes...

I currently own a S2 Combi and I'm about to change for a S3 Combi. I'm looking for a L&K TDI 190 DSG6 4x4 aged ~12-18 months. That's quite OK to find here, but I'd also like it with at least 2 specific options : Trailer hook (which is not that hard to find) and paddle shifters, which is really hard to find on "used cars".

I have here confirmation thru your threads that adding paddle shifters afterwards is possible.

Could you please tell / confirm me what to modify?

¤ Change steering wheel for steering wheel with integrated paddle shifters. Then what is the reference (for LHD, if it matters)?

¤ Modify VCDS Coding. then do you know what has to be modified in the codes?

Thanks or the tips ;)

As a cheap option add them as even if you dont use them much they may attract more interest to buyers when selling the car on.

I dont use them much in my sportline tsi as its a dsg as it sorts of defeats the purpose of having a dsg and having a free left arm to hold and drink a brew.

If i wanted to be in control so much of the car on the road....i would have sought a manual gearbox and not a dsg.

The steering wheel quality is no better with regards to build or material quality in fact its worse quality than my last octavia mk3 elegance.

Horses for courses as they say. I think in terms or resale though it will not gain you any extra but it will look more appealing when for sale. Invokes a 'sporty' image? Not sure why the diesels have it though...sporty and diesel dont mix IMO.

Maybe spend the money on another option?

They are best used for overtaking, flick down a gear ready for the overtake. 

Once the overtake is complete hold the up paddle to put back into drive.

The car doesn't know when you want to accelerate so doing this readies the car.

I also do the same in the SLK it saves that slight delay on the kickdown. 

• Like 1

Another way to put the DSG into auto mode again is to pull back on the gear-lever in the same way you can engage sport mode. Obviously does not work if you moved it across to full manual mode.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, vfrvrs said:

They are best used for overtaking, flick down a gear ready for the overtake. 

Once the overtake is complete hold the up paddle to put back into drive.

The car doesn't know when you want to accelerate so doing this readies the car.

I also do the same in the SLK it saves that slight delay on the kickdown. 

+1 for this. I live in Finland in a coastal town and we have icy or snowy roads 5-6 months every year. 

Much easier and safer to overtake if you use paddles to change down 1-2 gears and then start accelerating and overtake.

If not, your tires start to lose their grip very easy, even if you push the padal down only slightly when starting to overtake and dsg shifts down then.