Paddle shifters

@Whenwillilearn : As I said. Actually, it's not for a brand new car, but a second hand one, still to find... ;) Otherwise of course I wouldn't hesitate a minute to take this affordable option. But unfortunately, This option is hard to find here in France on second hand S3 with DSG gearbox.

Well, I've nevertheless managed to find the references (if I didn't make mistakes):

¤ Steering wheel with paddle shifters (not included): 3V0419091M

¤ Paddle shifters (L&R) : 3V0951523

I just now need to find the codes to change (probably in both steering wheel and gearbox control units). ;)

Edited by Bap33

18 hours ago, vfrvrs said:

They are best used for overtaking, flick down a gear ready for the overtake. 

Once the overtake is complete hold the up paddle to put back into drive.

The car doesn't know when you want to accelerate so doing this readies the car.

I also do the same in the SLK it saves that slight delay on the kickdown. 

I wouldn't overtake if the slight delay on kickdown would make any difference!

13 hours ago, Bap33 said:

@Whenwillilearn : As I said. Actually, it's not for a brand new car, but a second hand one, still to find... ;) Otherwise of course I wouldn't hesitate a minute to take this affordable option. But unfortunately, This option is hard to find here in France on second hand S3 with DSG gearbox.

Well, I've nevertheless managed to find the references (if I didn't make mistakes):

¤ Steering wheel with paddle shifters (not included): 3V0419091M

¤ Paddle shifters (L&R) : 3V0951523

I just now need to find the codes to change (probably in both steering wheel and gearbox control units). ;)

I would sell you mine if it were not the fact you were in france and my car is RHD.

20170902_190149.jpg

Hi,

I've got it... Or actually soon indeed.

I've found a Superb Mk3 Combi TDI 190HP L&K with DSG geabox and 4x4 transmission.

I should get it just before Xmas! Nice gift!

It has some options :

¤ Moon white painting

¤ Paddle shifters (great ;) !)

¤ Foldable trailer hook

¤ Rear side airbags

¤ Crew protect assistant

¤ Techno Pack (lane assistant + Smart Light assistant + "blind spot" in external rear view miror... Sorry if not proprerly translated)

¤ Roadsigns detection and recognition system

¤ Adaptative cruise control

¤ Foldable backrest controled from the trunk.

Thanks for your answers and/or advises :thumbup:.

Quite impatient to have it. ;)

Edited by Bap33
  • Like 2

Very useful on twisty roads, so the car is always in the right gear. I had them on my last Passat - which was only an S model - and used them a lot. 

Was surprised that they weren't standard on my SE Business Superb, which being right on our leasing budget, couldn't have any extras fitted.

Edit: I've just gone to write a post and discovered that what I was writing last week (above) - when my iPad went t1ts up - has just reappeared. The wonders of modern technology. 

Anyway, congratulations on finding a car. The bad news is that I had been hoping to find out how easy it was to retrofit paddles. 

• 3 months later...

I've ordered a 190 Dsg Superb estate. 

I'll be coming from a Honda Accord estate 2.2 cdti manual. I live in undulating terrain and on descents I use manual downshift quite a lot for engine braking to save dabbing brakes all the time. It's all moderate speed and responsible driving and it's actually become quite a rewarding and intuitive facet to driving in these hills. But I guess a dsg is going to need a lot of retraining on my part and a lot more brake use on downhills, unless I order paddles? I think I've read that primarily they're supposed to let you manually slot into a lower gear in anticipation of brisk acceleration e.g. for near instantaneous fast overtaking which really I'm not interested in, but did wonder if they can also be used for the opposite, i.e. engine braking on descents as with a manual box. You'll tell straight away from these questions that I've no experience nor knowledge of paddle shift. Another question, does the console mounted gear lever do all that paddles do albeit with one hand off the wheel?

As said elsewhere if in doubt just get them anyway, they're not expensive. Just that the order's already gone in. So another question, do dealers get p***d off when the likes of me want to change things?

Thanks, Dave

Edited by davembk

Chosing either paddles shifters or manual lever makes no difference on gear control (at least to me). You can then control engine braking as you like.

However engin braking is not really efficient on "high" gears due to the vehicle weight. It's only "slight" braking when shifting 6 to 5 to 4... 

I had imagined I would use much more the paddle shifters that I actually do. Anyway considering the option price, I'm glad I chosed the paddles and don't use them, instead of the contrary... ;) 

With the paddles you can change up/down gears even when in auto mode. But the gearbox will also change/up down if it is appropriate.

Put the gearbox into manual mode by moving it to the left when in drive and then you can change gear with the paddles or use the gear lever by pushing forward and pulling back to change down/up (or is that up/down)? By putting the gearbox in manual mode it will hold gears and not try to change gear itself. But I'd personally prefer a manual if that was how I'd use it.

You can only use the gearstick to change gears in manual mode. Paddle shifter can be used in manual and auto mode.

Edited by rtj70

12 hours ago, davembk said:

manual downshift quite a lot for engine braking to save dabbing brakes all the time

You will find that the DSG does that for you in certain conditions and speed of the vehicle. 

You can use the paddles just the same as you would a manual gear box, change up or down, but the box will only change to the selected gear if speed etc is within parameter. (i.e you couldn't change to 2nd gear at high speed). You need to be aware that if you use the paddles then the box will automatically return to full auto mode after a few seconds which can be disconcerting if you domt realise that.

So, if you want to use it as a manual box, that stays in the gear you select, then you need to push the gear lever away from you into manual. Then flick forward to change up or flip back to change down. It will then stay in the selected gear. (it may be back to change up etc; I can never remember as I dont use it very often).

Give it try down Porlock Hill to see how it reacts :biggrin:     Or another place to check is Tower Hill in Williton as you go down into the village on the A358. Mine changes down to 3rd as the hill comes in.

Edited by Sagalout

On 2/23/2016 at 00:41, philbes said:

Not theory, observation on the car I own (as shown in my post) - 2012 Octavia vRS CR DSG. At near full throttle in Sports mode the gears are held to 4700-4800rpm whilst max power is at 4200rpm.

This is an old thread, but seeing as it's been bumped... Max power starts at 4,200rpm. There's a difference. ;) 

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

This is an old thread, but seeing as it's been bumped... Max power starts at 4,200rpm. There's a difference. ;) 

Look at a power curve for the VAG 2.0 CR (170) engine.  The power PEAKS at 4200rpm and then declines.

2 hours ago, philbes said:

Look at a power curve for the VAG 2.0 CR (170) engine.  The power PEAKS at 4200rpm and then declines.

It would be highly unusual if peak power only lasted for a couple of RPM. Even then, it's a power curve - if you change up before peak power you're a lot further down the power band in the next gear up - and thus wasting time, and fuel, getting back up to it again. The people who programmed the DSG likely didn't pick numbers out of a hat. ;)

• Like 1

haven't used mine in 5k miles.

tried twice now....

to pull off from standing in  2nd in the ice... wouldn't let me.

to shift into third when travelling down a steap bank to use the gearbox as brakes.... wouldn't let me.

don't think i'll bother again but they look nice and might add value when it comes to move it on (a few years yet!).

8 hours ago, jonesinamillion said:

to shift into third when travelling down a steap bank to use the gearbox as brakes.... wouldn't let me.

If you want engine braking, try this one: when you're in Drive (automatic) pull back on the stick. The transmission switches to Sport mode and drops into a lower gear. When you're on the flat again, another pull back on the stick puts the transmission back into Drive.

The paddles won't allow you to change down if you are out of the lower gear's rev range, or might take longer to change down than you are expecting. I don't think I've touched the paddles since the first couple months of ownership. I prefer making changes with the stick, maybe because I'm come from manuals.

• Like 1

I had paddles on previous cars (Saab 9-5's) and very rarely used them. As they were on the steering wheel, rather than in a fixed position on the steering column, they were rarely in the correct position for fingers unless you drove like a rally driver (not easy on a conventional saloon cars high geared steering rack). Also as Jerry says if you were not in the correct range for the rev range you couldn't change down when you wanted to. They did work well for selecting third when pulling away on ice though to minimise wheel spin - very useful. I don't think with the DSG in the Skoda (with or without paddles) you can do that as I haven't been able to.

So IMHO paddles are a waste of space and like Jerry says stick changes are easier.

Edited by TerryMcK

It's interesting to read the differences of opinion concerning paddles and how it effects driving styles. For me personally I use them 'a lot'.

I would certainty miss them now on an auto. In fact it could even be a deal breaker for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick_H said:

It's interesting to read the differences of opinion concerning paddles and how it effects driving styles. For me personally I use them 'a lot'.

I would certainty miss them now on an auto. In fact it could even be a deal breaker for me.

I use them a lot too, had them on a few cars. On the one automatic I've had that didn't have them (535d) I really missed them and although I used the selector to adjust the gears it is an order of magnitude more intrusive to do so.

Given that VW/Audi/Skoda still insist on doing the +/- the 'wrong' way on the main selector I couldn't even contemplate using that, I'd end up all over the shop! Paddles or nothing!

Does anyone use or see the need for the aluminium, or similar, paddle extensions that I keep seeing being mentioned on various VAG forums?   Can't say I noticed an issue with the ergonomics of the paddles on the 280 I tested.  Just curious. 

The Paddles on a 190 TDI I tested seemed a little bit short...I can see why some would want extensions.  Though it will depends on the size of your hands/fingers as to whether it makes a difference

Personally I didn't like their position as opposed to the size, too close to the indicator stalk and I kept touching the paddle.

I wouldn't use them if I had them, I prefer using the gear stick...much more like a BTCC driver :cool:

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies 

I've now added this to my order even if as with quite a few here, I don't end up using them too much.  I now realise that you can do the same anyway using the lever. Anyway. at the price, not too much of a dent in the budget. At this rate I could end up having every option there is!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, davembk said:

I now realise that you can do the same anyway using the lever

Not quite. You can change gear with the paddles even when the gearbox is in automatic mode. To use the gear lever you need to switch over to manual mode.

So if you're say on the motorway and want to overtake, with the paddles you can change down gear before starting the manoeuvre instead of relying on kick-down. To user the gear lever you'd have to push to the left to get into manual mode and then pull towards yourself to change down one gear. Twice for two gears.