Road tax

agh321

You should have had a reminder if it's a March 1st renewal.

Did you get the car midway thru March in which case it may be April before you need to renew.

The link below will tell you when your car needs to be taxed.https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Hi thanks for your help I've just done a search and my car doesn't show up so I presume it won't be due till next month

It was registered on 5th March 2015

It should show

Hi thanks for your help I've just done a search and my car doesn't show up so I presume it won't be due till next month

It was registered on 5th March 2015

It should show up within a couple of weeks of being registered, are you sure you're entering the details correctly?

If it's not showing on the website and you've entered details correctly I'd check the details on the car registration document.

Hi mine was a personal plate

I've phoned dvla up and my road tax is due 1st April

But have not received any notification

So I was just wondering if it was due 1st March I should have been notified

Probably not an issue here but a mistake made by many is acquiring a car taxed (by others). As soon as ownership changes when you drive a car off the forecourt, the road tax is cancelled for the PO and the car is untaxed until the new owner retaxes. The previous owner then gets the unused tax rebate to the nearest whole month.

With the changes to abandon road tax discs and mot's expiring on different dates to tax renewals, there are greater risks of drivers getting caught unwittingly. Put the tax website link on your computer and check it every now and again. We kept our tax disc holders and I laser up a white lookalike which includes the mot expiry date. Remember there are loads of cameras snapping your plates and automatically flagging up no tax or mot!

We get a reminder in the mail.........USUALLY

Went to get a single 'slim-line' plate for the front and was told it would be sig cheaper to re-register.......forget it!,

If the cars present registration is not bringing the car up on the Gov.UK Website which is showing the Information on the DVLA Database, 

then you need to check why now, 

do not just wait on the reminder.

Dealership or DVLA error at First Registration then change of keeper if a Pre-Registered, cherished number change or what ever.

(there were and still are so many errors from the system change.)

you need to check why now, 

Agree 100%. Needs sorting. I had a Fabia before my Yeti and took it back the day after I took delivery - so they could put the correct reg number on the number plates!!

I had a Fabia before my Yeti and took it back the day after I took delivery - so they could put the correct reg number on the number plates!!

I once had a Fiat Punto which, several weeks after I bought it I noticed it had a (very slightly) different number front & back !!

Only spotted when I happened to approach the car from the front rather than the usual rear. Thought to myself "look that car is same colur as mine, with slightly diff. Number". Ooops !!

My Mum bought a new car SP06 *** and it was insured and we run it for 1 year, even had it serviced at 1 year old at the supplying dealer.

The Road tax and Insurance was renewed with no issues.

Then she had a minor accident & i was dealing with the Insurance Company for her because of an accident and they did not recognise the Registration Number as being for the correct car or model.

The issue tuned out that the car was ST06 *** but we had done the insurance on the Number we chose at the dealers and were told it was first registered on & the Number Plates that the Dealer Fitted.

It really was a comedy of errors but the Insurance company tried to go with us trying to defraud them and said the car was not covered, 

that was until they were asked to return 2 years of premiums.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

While you should get a reminder in the post, they can and do go missing and its your responsibility to keep the vehicle taxed or SORNED even if no reminder has been received.

I agree with all the others , if its not showing up on the DVLA site I would be concerned especially with  all the cameras on motorways etc. checking numberplates against tax, MOT and insurance.

I don't think they will stop sending out reminders, it would be carnage with non payment. Unlike an MOT or insurance, people no longer have a bit of paper (tax disc) to remind them and as has been said, there is lack of clarity around the point at which you tax a new car.

You may be able to get rid of the reminder if they go to a system whereby the default is a payment by direct debit where the onus goes on the owner to ensure sale is notified and the direct debit cancelled to be sure you don't over pay. This is what insurance companies now do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk