335d Xdrive am I nuts?

Aspman

Still John Clark up in Aberdeen, but they try so much harder.

The Blue Matallic 65 plate 335d Xdrive estate sitting sometimes on Callander Drive is certainly a Q Car, very boring looking.

Privacy Glass and Dark Grey makes them look so much better IMO.

Heh that was my spec, dark grey, privacy glass, debadged, 18" alloys.

Leasing would probably leave me with 2 cars to get rid of

Hope I am not being dim and missed the post, but how did your test drive go?

Far from dim Amanda, I'm sure! No, I haven't posted the result yet simply because I had to postpone due to work commitments. I'm booking in for mid week next week, will post then!

• Like 1

Heh that was my spec, dark grey, privacy glass, debadged, 18" alloys.

Leasing would probably leave me with 2 cars to get rid of

I know what you mean but far from an impossible task and likely to get more for the cars sold privately. What are you selling? This would clear the decks for any hire agreement and would save you money in the long run, surely?

2010 Honda Accord derv and a 2014 Qashqui.

The Nissan is my late wife's and the Honda mine. Just can't be bothered with the hassle of selling.

6 cylinder or nothing :devil:

A very strong section of my brain is shouting **** it, get the 335d.

Decision made then! I haven't driven one as yet and I bet if you do you'll love it! As for the quoted suspension issues, well, unless you're constantly trying to race around like Ken Block, then it's going to be a wonderful place to be.

Funny,

I see a X-Drive 335d on the Edinburgh Bypass most days and although it's "boring looking" it's actually a really pretty car in a very subtle way.  I suspect very few people would know what it was if it was debadged.  If it wasn't a BMW it'd be a hell of a sleeper, although the proliferation of 318s etc with massive wheels and "M-Sport" does kind of help.

If it drives well and you can afford it, why not?  I'd certainly consider chopping in the vRS for one if I could.  Although if it's ride is anything like the M3 my mate has I suspect it might jiggle my flab a bit much for me.;)

Edited by gullyg
  • Like 2

Decision made then! I haven't driven one as yet and I bet if you do you'll love it! As for the quoted suspension issues, well, unless you're constantly trying to race around like Ken Block, then it's going to be a wonderful place to be.

Hardly any around so very hard to get a test drive, demos are generally 320d since that's what they sell most off.

Although the dealer yesterday wasn't doing a lot of dealing he was genuinely enthusiastic about the 335d and spoke at length about the demo they used to have.

He also double checked with me about the mpg I was expecting. Possibly there have been a few comments about the lab mpg of ~50.

I reckon about 38 maybe going up to 45 when it's broken in and driven carefully. Dealer thought that was realistic.

My local dealer had the same problem with availability but they have a car sharing agreement with another local firm to help with this.  Where there's a will, there's a way.  It's always worth a look on AT to see what's about locally or take half a day out to go further a field. I'd take the mpg figures with a pinch a salt but would expect the figures you quoted as the BMW engines seem very frugal.

When I was looking the BMW dealer thought 40mpg was a tiny bit optimistic.

But after going with me on as he said his "slowest" ever M135i test drive, said maybe low/mid 40's on a 330/335d was very achievable :)

I was seeing if I could achieve a sensible mpg as a comparison.

Sounds like you have had a lot going on...I would go for it :)

When I was looking the BMW dealer thought 40mpg was a tiny bit optimistic.

But after going with me on as he said his "slowest" ever M135i test drive, said maybe low/mid 40's on a 330/335d was very achievable :)

I was seeing if I could achieve a sensible mpg as a comparison.

Sounds like you have had a lot going on...I would go for it :)

Of course, outright performance will always be at the cost of mpg but late 30s for a car doing sub 5 seconds to 60 is pretty good.

Funny,

I see a X-Drive 335d on the Edinburgh Bypass most days and although it's "boring looking" it's actually a really pretty car in a very subtle way.  I suspect very few people would know what it was if it was debadged.  If it wasn't a BMW it'd be a hell of a sleeper, although the proliferation of 318s etc with massive wheels and "M-Sport" does kind of help.

If it drives well and you can afford it, why not?  I'd certainly consider chopping in the vRS for one if I could.  Although if it's ride is anything like the M3 my mate has I suspect it might jiggle my flab a bit much for me. ;)

There is an undercover car which i see on the bypass all the time there. If the reg begins with LF64 then don't go flying past it lol. They use a black 330d xDrive too which begins with LF64 too.

Edited by hmmmm

Hardly any around so very hard to get a test drive, demos are generally 320d since that's what they sell most off.

Although the dealer yesterday wasn't doing a lot of dealing he was genuinely enthusiastic about the 335d and spoke at length about the demo they used to have.

He also double checked with me about the mpg I was expecting. Possibly there have been a few comments about the lab mpg of ~50.

I reckon about 38 maybe going up to 45 when it's broken in and driven carefully. Dealer thought that was realistic.

I had one for a week and did around 700 miles in it. We did Essex to Dorset on day 1, then various days out around the area throughout the week. Some sitting in heavy traffic, some short trips some 100 mile round trips. I took the opportunity to use all the performance on as many occasions as possible, then a 170 mile journey back. Combined fuel economy, worked out from fuel used and miles covered, was 46mpg, which, given the available performance, was remarkable.

I think, like all cars, if you are doing lots of smaller journeys where warm up time is a significant part of your journey, economy will be less. Having said that, it is astonishing given the available performance and level of comfort. Also, I don't expect the 330d would be hugely more economical. Get a test drive!

Edited by Chris GB
  • Like 1

I managed 43mpg in my MB C350 cdi a car with almost exactly the same maximum torx and I drove reasonably briskly. I would think the 335d would beat this figure, partly because BMWs always seem a little more economical compared to rival's like for like equivalents (at least in my experience). I wouldn't worry about the looks either, I have had my last 3 nice cars debadged and I think most people assume I have the poverty repmobile spec and just put a silly exhaust on them :D When I looked at the 335D I was planning on having the badge removed on that too, making it look almost no different to a 320D :)

• Like 2

This car (with only a three cylinder engine) that I was looking at this afternoon won't be of any interest then? :peek:

IMG_20160227_154223.jpg

Is that the 1.5 in the i8?

TBH I really do want a big displacement 6+ cylinder before these sorts of car are legislated out of existence.

After the Beemer I might get something cheaper and an older V8/V12 for the weekend.

If they did the 335i Activehybrid as a tourer I'd definitely have consider that. I'm guessing in 3/4yr it'll be an option.

If I didn't have the wee man I'd be back on bikes.

Edited by Aspman

Is that the 1.5 in the i8?

TBH I really do want a big displacement 6+ cylinder before these sorts of car are legislated out of existence.

Yes it is the i8. You certainly need to have gymnastic capabilities to be able to get in them!

Also, obviously not for you but for other people considering buying a >£40,000 car after 1/4/2017 is to remember that the road tax is changing - for the worse!

Yes it is the i8. You certainly need to have gymnastic capabilities to be able to get in them!

Also, obviously not for you but for other people considering buying a >£40,000 car after 1/4/2017 is to remember that the road tax is changing - for the worse!

So for cars registered after 1/4/17 it's back to a flat rate? (Except for cars > £40k) Wow, wasn't expecting that.

And I hereby predict that the £40k threshold doesn't get uplifted with inflation, so in 5 years time a humdrum car like a Mondeo will be in that bracket.

Edited by 2SkodaFamily
  • Like 1

In more readable form, no idea if accurate, but likely as accurate as the UK Government tells you.

Likely needs changing (Revising) in the next 14 months as the UK / EU needs to deal with Diesel Emissions.

We will see what George Osborne MP has to say in this coming budget after having thought a bit longer.

http://telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/how-will-the-new-car-tax-prices-affect-me

If I'm honest I think you are mad. A 335d or whichever BMW you are thinking of is a nice car don't get me wrong. But: I'd say, spend the money on plenty of holidays and make plenty of memories with your lad.

JRJG

• Like 1

What about an alpina d3? Bit more special then the 335D and you get the lovely alpina wheels.

Maybe a little bit too mad. I'm only thinking of the 335d because the odd deals on right now make it cheaper than the 330d.