I know this has been covered, and I've read all I can find.

Just got my late 2015 Octavia SE L and have been trying to install the latest maps. It's an Amundsen system (I believe that's standard on the SE L), and the map showing in the system page is 2015/16. On the Skoda portal, after entering my VIN, it shows the latest map as 2016.

I've downloaded the zip file on both mac and PC (because of the issues I'm having), and on the PC unzipped it to a FAT32 formatted empty 32Gb SD card (class 10), and on the MAC unzipped it and copied the map folder to another 32Gb empty FAT32 SD card. When I put either of the cards back in the slot in the Nav system, I get "Please insert a data medium with valid navigation data" on the screen! Put the original card back in and it's fine, but obviously not the latest map.

From what I know, it should make no difference using these cards, and on the Skoda website it states that Skoda cards do not have to be used. Could it be an issue as it's a 32gb card?

I'm loathed to format the original card and put the new maps on there in case that fails too and I'm left with no SatNav.

Anybody got any ideas, because after God knows how many hours, I give up!

As far as i know you have to use a Skoda card as it has some encryption on it.

The thing is that the instructions say you can format the card before unzipping the new maps to it, so that would wipe any content encryption.

• Like 2

Yes, you have to wipe the existing files but can copy them first to your pc for back up.

Clearing the files does not remove the encryption.

Good luck

Edited by JD52
  • Like 1

Yes, you have to wipe the existing files but can copy them first to your pc for back up.

Clearing the files does not remove the encryption.

Good luck

:thumbup:

Edited by Croat

Well the original card obviously has to be used. Copied off the old files and deleted them off the card, but didn't dare format it! Unzipped the new download to the card and stuck it back in the car, and Hey Presto, ECE2016. What a relief!

Thanks for the input, guys.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity why FAT32? I'd suspect that's more likely to be the issue, as far as I'm aware you don't need to use the original SD card. Especially as for the columbus unit you don't even have an SD card supplied.

Out of curiosity why FAT32? I'd suspect that's more likely to be the issue, as far as I'm aware you don't need to use the original SD card. Especially as for the columbus unit you don't even have an SD card supplied.

You have to use the original card for the Amundsen.

• Like 1

VW do not require the original supplied card. "Volkswagen recommends using a class 10/SDHC card, which is widely available from retailers."

Any VW MIB unit with the maps on SD requires you to use the original card, same as Skoda, same as Seat, as they are all the same unit basically.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

OK, somewhere in the manual it states that it has to be formatted FAT32, which I'm pretty sure is the standard for normal files in the DOS system. Large video files would use an EX_FAT format, but a lot of systems don't read EX-FAT.

Regarding using the original SD card, I now no that you have to use the Skoda card to update maps, BUT, I believe you can use a non-Skoda card if you are updating the system files i.e. not navigation files.

I'm sure somebody will put me right if this is BS! :)

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Thank goodness for this forum giving me the answer. I downloaded the new maps onto a new SD card as instructed on the Skoda update website and, guess what, the Amundsen system wouldn't recognise it. So following the advice on the forum, I backed up the Skoda SD files onto my PC, deleted the maps file on the Skoda SD card, then copied the newly downloaded maps file onto it. Bingo - it works. So why doesn't Skoda explain this on their update website?!

• 1 month later...

Bit strange, my Scout was built c. Mid-2015 and registered in November. Last night I stuck the vin into the update portal & got the response that no updates were available. On the Amundsen satnav itself the version info given is:

5L0051236E

ECE2015/16

& this leads me to suspect it's a bit strange not to have a 2016/17 update available at least .

anyone achieved a later update?

That's a relief, in a funny sort of way. My portal is also showing no updates for my VIN. I thought that my car had been removed from the database as it is 3 years old.

• 7 years later...