Tesla Model 3 pre-ordering

Nick P

On 03/05/2019 at 23:16, Nick P said:

I got quite angry about the luxury car tax thing yesterday morning and cancelled. If they can bring a version in under that 40k threshold I might jump back in. Keeping an eye on the VW ID too.

Did you get your deposit back quickly?

Edited by TonyTonic

4 hours ago, Ryeman said:

It is old tech to but energy in to the battery heating system to allow the battery pack to take power faster.

Also might show the charger is giving out more power but some of that is just heating the battery pack and not actually going in to the battery as stored energy though does help battery eventually take on more charge of course.

The Lithium Metal Polyamide batteries in our battery packs like to run at 50-60C to take on charge at maximum rate and have maximum capacity.  Trick is to keep the pack at this Goldilocks temp taking in to account all factors ie ambient temp, needs of the next User etc.

• Thanks 1

I used to wonder how long it would be before the car could login to your home wifi for updates.  It seems the car has to come with a subscription, or at least that’s the future I guess.

There are some tempting lease deals around too. Under £600 a month with a month up front over 2 years for a performance. Mileage is low at 5k per year but even knowing it up to 12k a year it was just over £700. Take into account no tax and electricity prices being cheaper than petrol and the performance figures...it's quite good value! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

There are some tempting lease deals around too. Under £600 a month with a month up front over 2 years for a performance. Mileage is low at 5k per year but even knowing it up to 12k a year it was just over £700. Take into account no tax and electricity prices being cheaper than petrol and the performance figures...it's quite good value! 

Any examples, all the ones I looked at tend to go a bit skyward ?

1 hour ago, Chris said:

1 hour ago, Defenderben said:

Any examples, all the ones I looked at tend to go a bit skyward ?

Also try Octopus.EV they seem to be the cheapest at the moment, it is also worth taking the lowest mileage offer they do as the first 10K excess miles are just 4.4p per mile and then 6.66p per mile after this, which works out much cheaper than getting the below quote for 15K miles:

1713594618_ScreenShot2019-06-29at10_36_20.thumb.png.f140ebf992e152e83e8db597132d4995.png

This also included the £950 option of ‘Deep Blue metallic paint’.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Thanks 1

8000 miles per year would cost around £800 per year in a 55mpg car with today's diesel prices.

8000 miles per year would cost £100 per year in that Tesla doing 4 mi/kWh and charge using 5p/kWh as seen above.

So £700 per year saving => £58 per month extra you could spend on this Tesla than your usual ICE lease budget,

• 2 weeks later...

Our experts expect that the Standard Range model will retain just over 66 per cent of its value after three years and 36,000 miles, with the Performance model expected to hold on to an impressive 72.8 per cent of its value over the same period.

Wow, must have excellent PCP figures.

It’s a bit of a ‘moving feast’  -

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124050_tesla-drops-base-model-s-and-x-again-in-latest-model-line-shakeup

How many average motorists are going to take to everything being menu driven such as opening the glovebox etc?.

Will women go for the alternative, relatively normal system provided by VW etc?.

I don't see anything wrong with touchscreen driven. Phones work perfectly well with zero buttons.

What could you possibly need while driving?

Change ACC speed? It's on the wheel, but better than other cars, you can tap the speed limit display and the car will set ACC to that speed.

Change volume or next track? on the wheel.

Wipe windscreen? on the stalk.

Do people really change drive profile while driving? That's still a menu driven option in Skoda.

Do people really open glovebox while driving?

1 minute ago, wyx087 said:

I don't see anything wrong with touchscreen driven. Phones work perfectly well with zero buttons.

What could you possibly need while driving?

Change ACC speed? It's on the wheel, but better than other cars, you can tap the speed limit display and the car will set ACC to that speed.

Change volume or next track? on the wheel.

Wipe windscreen? on the stalk.

Do people really change drive profile while driving? That's still a menu driven option in Skoda.

Do people really open glovebox while driving?

Neither do I but I’m ‘into’ cars, but if they want mass appeal, that is user friendly for the female non enthusiasts, it might make the more conventional EVs to come, a volume threat.

Tesla must ensure volume unless the shareholders don’t care.

Change temperature

turn on:

heated screens / mirrors / seats

hazzard warning lights

fog lights

etc

There are numerous things that are more difficult to do whilst driving with a touch screen. 

A mobile is the classic example as you can text with buttons without looking, this is almost impossible to do on a touch screen. 

Edited by Gizmo