Is DSG worth canceling my order for?

Hi guys 

I ordered my VRS 3 weeks ago today in manual and asked on Saturday if I could change my order to DSG, have been told today it can't be done but I can cancel and reorder at a cost of £500. 

Its my own fault as I didn't test drive the manual as they only had a DSG in plus I am coming from an 08 citroen ESG which is bad so wanted a manual at the time of ordering. Then last week I had to drive my wife's manual mk6 golf for a few days and it was a pain having to change gears. Plan was to keep car for 6-8 years but could always upgrade in at the end of the PCP. 

So do you DSG is worth it, planing on a test drive of the manual tomorrow to see if I can live with it.

cheers 

Hi guys 

I ordered my VRS 3 weeks ago today in manual and asked on Saturday if I could change my order to DSG, have been told today it can't be done but I can cancel and reorder at a cost of £500. 

Its my own fault as I didn't test drive the manual as they only had a DSG in plus I am coming from an 08 citroen ESG which is bad so wanted a manual at the time of ordering. Then last week I had to drive my wife's manual mk6 golf for a few days and it was a pain having to change gears. Plan was to keep car for 6-8 years but could always upgrade in at the end of the PCP. 

So do you DSG is worth it, planing on a test drive of the manual tomorrow to see if I can live with it.

cheers 

I test drove both the DSG and manual and in the end went for the manual.  I had a Fabia VRS before and preferred the DSG 7 over the DSG 6 it just felt lazy and slow in comparison.

That was the main reason I went for manual and it’s a really easy to live with.

I don’t think it’s worth losing £500 to change.

• Like 1

I think it depends on how many miles you do. The Wife does about 4k so has a manual, I cover 30k+ so I opted for the DSG.

• Like 1

I test drove both, much more engaging is the manual, however, the DSG is silky smooth. I did experience more wheel spin in 1st in DSg for some reason. But agreed with above, an extra £500 on top of what DSG is more over manual, to me, is not worth it. I did toy with it, but in the end followed my gut!! If you like auto it is a great box and worth having, but I prefer the extra control with manual. Good luck in your decision, not always an easy one!

• Like 1

Totally depends on what you are happy to live with in the long term, bit of an expensive change of mind though. I assume the £500 is the deposit not including the additional cost of the DSG option?

Bit confused on how you say you test drove a DSG and not a manual version but ordered a manual?

• Like 1

Personally I would go for the DSG, I drove the daughters manual Pug today, and found it a pain, the quick, smooth change of my Fabia makes it a pleasure to drive, and I can never be in the wrong gear.

• Like 1

It depends how badly you want the DSG. If you're going to be totally unhappy with the manual, then it might be worth it to cancel and reorder. However £500 extra on top of the extra cost of the DSG is a hell of a lot to pay; if it were me personally I'd stick with the manual.

• Like 1

I test drove both the DSG and manual and in the end went for the manual.  I had a Fabia VRS before and preferred the DSG 7 over the DSG 6 it just felt lazy and slow in comparison.

That was the main reason I went for manual and it’s a really easy to live with.

I don’t think it’s worth losing £500 to change.

Thanks, makes me hopeful that tomorrow will be a pleasant experience 

I think it depends on how many miles you do. The Wife does about 4k so has a manual, I cover 30k+ so I opted for the DSG.

I only do about 5k now as I work 5m from home.

I test drove both, much more engaging is the manual, however, the DSG is silky smooth. I did experience more wheel spin in 1st in DSg for some reason. But agreed with above, an extra £500 on top of what DSG is more over manual, to me, is not worth it. I did toy with it, but in the end followed my gut!! If you like auto it is a great box and worth having, but I prefer the extra control with manual. Good luck in your decision, not always an easy one!

I think I've become a lazy driver and want to sit back and let the car do the work but at an extra £500 plus time waiting I'm not sure. 

Totally depends on what you are happy to live with in the long term, bit of an expensive change of mind though. I assume the £500 is the deposit not including the additional cost of the DSG option?

Bit confused on how you say you test drove a DSG and not a manual version but ordered a manual?

Tell me about it, wifes not happy  :dull: yes I put down a 1k deposit so half of that. I went for a new car with the idea that i was buying a manual no matter what. I hated the ESG on my citroen 7 seater when I first bought it so test drove the DSG but still ordered the manual but then after driving a manual for a few days it felt like to much hard work and couldn't wait to get back in my crappy 7 seater :D  

Personally I would go for the DSG, I drove the daughters manual Pug today, and found it a pain, the quick, smooth change of my Fabia makes it a pleasure to drive, and I can never be in the wrong gear.

this is what I was thinking, I kept putting it in 4 gear instead of 2nd  :D doesn't help that the golfs gear box is really notcy.

cheers 

Have you tried Skoda UK to see if it's too late. Depends on how far down the build list it is. Could be the dealer trying to drag more money out of you (as if)

• Like 2

It depends how badly you want the DSG. If you're going to be totally unhappy with the manual, then it might be worth it to cancel and reorder. However £500 extra on top of the extra cost of the DSG is a hell of a lot to pay; if it were me personally I'd stick with the manual.

£500 a is the real stinger but I'm trying to justify it to myself as I got £2200 of the asking price, will see how the test drive goes.

Have you tried Skoda UK to see if it's too late. Depends on how far down the build list it is. Could be the dealer trying to drag more money out of you (as if)

No, I did send the a message on twitter but they haven't given me any response. I don't think the dealers trying to pull a fast one though as I asked him to add Kessy a week ago and that was fine then I asked if he could change the stitching to grey instead of red and change the transmission to DSG and he said he'd have to find out as it may be to late and came back with a no.  

If you're only 5m from work is a manual that hard work?

I came from an auto, think I will have another next time, but SWMBO wont drive an auto, so I had to have a manual, as she's having the car after me in 3 years time.

TBH the clutch and gears are light, so its not too bad.

Nice auto Superb for me next time. ...

Edited by glosrich
  • Like 1

£500 a is the real stinger but I'm trying to justify it to myself as I got £2200 of the asking price, will see how the test drive goes.

To be fair mate, if you're going to definately be unhappy with a manual, and you can afford it easily, why not go DSG? Like I said £500 is a lot and I personally wouldn't, but possibly less than the amount you'll lose long-term by selling/giving back the car early cause you don't like it?

Life's too short to do stuff you aren't happy with :)

• Like 2

If you're only 5m from work is a manual that hard work?

I came from an auto, think I will have another next time, but SWMBO wont drive an auto, so I had to have a manual, as she's having the car after me in 3 years time.

TBH the clutch and gears are light, so its not too bad.

Nice auto Superb for me next time. ...

haha yes I work to hard, just don't want to be driving something I'm not happy with plus I could end up working miles away in the future.

To be fair mate, if you're going to definately be unhappy with a manual, and you can afford it easily, why not go DSG? Like I said £500 is a lot and I personally wouldn't, but possibly less than the amount you'll lose long-term by selling/giving back the car early cause you don't like it?

Life's too short to do stuff you aren't happy with :)

cheers mate, will take the test drive and have a hard think about it but like you said lifes to short  :thumbup:

I can't believe your order is locked in for build yet, they usually only do that the week before build and currently quoting 12-13 weeks from order to delivery so even allowing 4 weeks from build to delivery, you should still have about 4 weeks before your order is locked!?

I took the DSG and would never buy a new manual car as it doesn't offer anything special anymore. The fuel eco is more, the shifting is annoying and now you get an indicator annoying you in the dash to shift up.

As for it only being an extra 500 that's really not a lot for the upgrade to the DSG. Considering that you're probably spending 18-20 thousand already on the car to add an extra 500 on top for the comfort doesn't seem that much.

• Like 1

Yes sounds like BS to me.

I've been driving both. I would say it boils down to the question: what do you expect from the car:

1. Manual - if you plan to tune your car, increase the torque, etc. (DSG's cant take too much torque if you want them to last). All in all, it would make most sense if combined with 4x4.

2. DSG - for more relaxed driving; way smoother than you can achieve with manual.

Mpg pretty much the same in both cases. Right now I'm driving 180PS 1.8TSi with DSG and I'm quite happy with it.

Cheers

Edited by wlange

It makes perfect sense in both cases. I have 1.8 and even that sometimes is too much for FWD...I would be very happy to have 4x4.

What I meant to say is that if you plan to go sporty and consider VRS+some extra torque tuning, the 4x4 drive is starts to sound like a necessity and also that the DSG cannot take such punishment safely (practical limit for 7-gear DSG is 250Nm I believe).

Thats true.

I have the 1.8Tsi and 4x4. It gets the dsg6 box. Im not sure how much torque it can handle, but a voice in my head says around 500NM. Can that be correct?

I do not know the exact value, but stock configurations with 2.0 diesel 6-DSG go to 400Nm, so there is way more torque to play with.

I wouldn't go for the DSG at all if I was really after the power though...repairing this contraption can cost a small fortune.

- Comfort ride / smoothness > DSG (with 7-gear one yet slightly smoother)

- Sporty ride / tuning > Manual

Cheers guys, phoned skoda UK today and they have confirmed that the dealer is correct they say it's locked in and I can't change it. They did say the dealer should let me cancel if for free in good will but that's up to the dealer and not skoda UK. Will take the test drive tonight and report back

Cheers

Edited by LHVRS