Front parking sensors - an expensive extra?

Recently ordered a Superb SE L Executive estate.

It comes with rear parking sensors as standard but not front. Yet it didn't allow me to spec to add front sensors. The option is simply front and back sensors at £350.

Feels like I'm getting charged twice for the back sensors, or am I missing something?

You can have rear sensors as standard or front and rear sensors for £350. In other words, front sensors only is not available. You're not paying twice, it's just how it's worded.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I have to say, I wouldn't be without them now I've got them.

When I was buying my car, I wasn't specifically after front sensors, but this one had them fitted anyway.

They make parallel parking in a tight spot so much easier, I'd definitely miss them.

Have them on the Passat and got used to them and I've become lazy.

Seems odd to me that you end up in the middle ground. If they include rear as standard then they should have an option to add front - not an option to add front AND rear as you are effectively paying for rear twice.

Didn't bother with front in the end...

Edited by nthurrzzz

If you go through the Configurator, and configure a Superb S, the option to add Park Distance Control (i.e. Only rear sensors) is £350.

As the SEL has rear sensors as standard, the extra cost is the same but to add front instead of rear.

Or to confuse things even more go for Park Assist and you get the Front Sensors as well as the Rear Sensors :D

• Like 1

They are handy when you are parking up against a wall in the garage. Looking forward to have them on the new S3 (they come as standard from Ambition and up over here).

I wouldn't buy a car without front and rear sensors now. Especially a massive one like the superb. Partly due to my parking situation at home but also as my wife has a tendency to hit things in tesco without them!

I've never had them before, but I have audible rear sensors on the Mk II Octavia and they have been very useful.  I must admit I have a marked hate for most modern designed cars which do not allow you to see the end of the bonnet when you are in the driving seat - how most modern cars don't get walloped fronts amazes me and I can only assume that it must be because their owners, probably like me give the front of their car more space than it ever needs when parking (in fact it might explain much of the bad parking you see and why, what look like perfectly adequate, parallel parking places are often left vacant.  I do think that the rear sensors may have made me lazy and perhaps long term diminish parking skills, but I am aware of making full use of them. 

Such is my hate of not being able to see the front of cars that I am more than pleased that my new car has front sensors fitted :-D  at least it will save me putting on the lights to see when I am getting close to stuff with the bonnet!!  

FWIW I learned to drive before drivers needed to parallel park as part of their tests and I used to be of the view that I would rather walk another 500 yards than do so.  Taking an IAM course changed this when I told the observer that I didn't have the skill - he taught me in about 15 minutes and I am now proud that 90% of the time I can slot my huge Octavia Mk II Estate into a parallel parking slot on the first manoeuver :-D  However, I am still looking forward to having the front sensors :clap:   Apparently the new car can also park itself, heaven knows how good this tech is and will I dare try it  :sweat:

Free front sensors us one of the reasons I went for the SE Business! Never thought I'd ever want or need sensors full stop, but rear ones were already on my second hand current mazda 6 and are actually pretty useful. Realised I've reached the age where I prefer convenience over skill!

I am a c**p driver and anything to help is welcome without all the aids I would have put several parking scratches on the car already, couldn't live without front and rear sensors and the reversing camera and could also do with cameras on the wheels so I don't scuff them (which I have already done!)

The blind spot detectors in the mirrors are useful as well.

Present SII has ParkAssist. Have only used it about five times in the last 5 years. Three times to show it off and twice for what it is meant to do. All other times have parked successfully without it. The front and rear sensors though have been of great assistance. Have dropped the ParkAssist and kept the front and rear sensors on our hopefully soon to be delivered SIII.

Edited by ssc

I have an SEL Executive on order, the only thing I'll miss from my 5 series is the front sensors....you get spoilt by them. Also seems odd that the lower spec SE Business has them as standard.

I have an SEL Executive on order, the only thing I'll miss from my 5 series is the front sensors....you get spoilt by them. Also seems odd that the lower spec SE Business has them as standard.

One of the reasons i went for a SE Business was the sweet spot of options in my opinion over "nice to haves" (exclude the xenons)

I priced up a SE-L, but once i had added a towbar and the front parking sensors it was over a grand which didnt sit well with me with it been a company car which i will never own, plus the extra £xx over a SE Business.

I would not go for a car of this size without them.

Edited by RickTT

They are handy when you are parking up against a wall in the garage. Looking forward to have them on the new S3 (they come as standard from Ambition and up over here).

+1, especially if one side of the garage has bicycles, boxes, a cart, kids stuff, etc. Very handy, I took park assist to get all 12 snsors for this reason :)

One of the reasons i went for a SE Business was the sweet spot of options in my opinion over "nice to haves" (exclude the xenons)

I priced up a SE-L, but once i had added a towbar and the front parking sensors it was over a grand which didnt sit well with me with it been a company car which i will never own, plus the extra £xx over a SE Business.

I would not go for a car of this size without them.

Interestingly i had initially gone for SE Business with DSG but switched to a manual SEL as I really wanted the LED DRLs which I think give real prescence (seems very mean of Skoda only adding them at SEL spec, loads of basic city cars seem to have them), Xenons (which I have really missed for the last 3 years), leather, bigger alloys and the bigger touch screen. Also a company car.

Or to confuse things even more go for Park Assist and you get the Front Sensors as well as the Rear Sensors :D

I think park assist has extra sensors, between the corner and wheel arch, doesn't just check the gap behind or in front, but also monitors the throw whilst manoeuvring.

I think park assist has extra sensors, between the corner and wheel arch, doesn't just check the gap behind or in front, but also monitors the throw whilst manoeuvring.

It certainly does, my reply was meant as jest to the original author of this thread who thought he was getting charged twice for his rear sensors due to the way the option is quoted in the sales brochure :D