S3 vs Passatt

Just wondered as I am now temp driving one as a temporary car it's an rline model and have to say ok it's got a big Diesel engine the rest of it is basicish, the sat have system is not so good hope the Columbus is better, all be it wished I now had gone for colour maxi dot.

Seats nothing like the alcantara I hope I get and the rest well standard oh and hate the dash with that long grill

Just hope my s3 experience isn't destroyed by this...

Edited by Sevlow8

I configured one to the same spec (near as I could) to my 190 DSG L&K. Topped the scales at £44450. Couldn't justify that sort of expenditure. I found it looked too dull. Just, uninteresting and uninspiring. It's probably an excellent car but it didn't excite me. The S3 on the other hand is serious eye candy in my opinion. And a shed load of cash less. Easy decision for me.

I seriously considered a new Passat but I don't like the looks one bit. Also not keen on that linear grille nonsense across the dash. 

The digital dashboard and full LED headlights were tempting, but I couldn't get past the styling. The Mk3 Superb is definitely much better looking than the Passat - IMHO. 

I configured one to the same spec (near as I could) to my 190 DSG L&K. Topped the scales at £44450. Couldn't justify that sort of expenditure. I found it looked too dull. Just, uninteresting and uninspiring. It's probably an excellent car but it didn't excite me. The S3 on the other hand is serious eye candy in my opinion. And a shed load of cash less. Easy decision for me.

That pretty much sums it up. I did a similar cost comparison and it wasn't even close. Ok, some of the fixtures and fittings are probably a bit better on the Passat but the Superb is hardly a sea of scratchy plastics now, is it! 

• Like 1

Don't know what you guys think but I just find all VW cars look so ugly.

I love Skoda for standing up for themselves and giving true value for money.

Long may it be.

• Like 1

I'm also half thinking about a Passat and although I do like the front, the rear is uninspiring.  Its a little closer pricewise using Irish prices.  A Superb 150 manual Style (SE L) with a few extras to make the comparison as close as possible comes in at around the same price (might be €400/500 less) as a Passat - roughly €39K.  Now I am comparing to a Passat 150 Highline Business edition with the Sports packs (adds nappa leather and 18" wheels).  I think the Passat in that trim is closer to the L&K TBH - the L&K 150 manual is around €41K.

A few important things for me though - full LEDs on the Passat and most importantly cream leather option without having to buy an L&K.  Also VW have the option of a wood effect dash surround which I really like compared to black gloss or aluminium look.  Still leaning towards a Superb but the choice certainly isn't as clear-cut anymore!

• Like 1

The Passat has a (much) stiffer ride. So if it's comfort you're looking for the S3 is better. The Passat has a few great options (virtual cockpit, trailer assist, LED headlights) which aren't available in the Skoda.

Pricewise the Skoda is much better, but the Passat has a better build quality (although the difference is small). I think the Passat looks dull, so styling is also for S3.

I looked at one as the virtual cockpit (LED dash), LED headlights, massaging seats and 240 BiTDi but the OTR price is £46K! (or £41K for the 190 TDi)

Yes I would have got more toys but the body styling did absolutely nothing for me.

Was 12 hours away from signing on the dotted line for a Passat last March (Highline, estate with a €5,200 worth of extras (LED lights, leather, 18" Alloys, Sat Nav etc) but got an email from my Skoda dealer with a shot of the Superbs headlights ahead of its official unveiling........ told the VW dealer thanks but no thanks- Superb won hands down! & most of those options were standard in the Superb!! Although I prefer the Passats Cabin. I like the surround vents & clock, but that's just me..... Anyway, i'm delighted with the Superb although i too want full LED lights

Edited by Rebelred

Don't know what you guys think but I just find all VW cars look so ugly.

I love Skoda for standing up for themselves and giving true value for money.

Long may it be.

Yeah VW styling at the moment leaves me cold. Its sooo bland.

Those silly wide grilles make the cars look fat.

The passatt & s3 were coming in at pretty much the same price for SE Bus spec on my company lease scheme, I went for the s3 in the end but the passatt has really grown on me they look great on the road, limited boot access and the analogue dash clock killed it for me and the estate was out on price for my grade.

Also the SE bus spec was not as good as the s3, manual AC etc. very nice looking car though imo.

I have the last generation Passat estate. Great car that's served us well. A new car was on the cards and I fell into that sheep mentality we often all fall victim to of immediately looking at the Passat first.

Nice car. New dashboard has a quality, simplified feel and perhaps a minor step up from my current car (I suspect that is marketing that has made me think that). Ok so far. Car looks - well it's a Passat - front has had a slightly keener look than old, but the back is worse than the last gen - and that sent you to sleep. What at first looked to be similar price point as my last purchase actually has the base standard "toys" reduced and the desirable accessories and upgrades costs push the price by a big jump. Leather seats, climate control, adjustable seats, tinted windows, all that sort of thing. But it was getting cracking reviews.

I realized I had fallen into the trap of looking at the brand first so looked to see othe Passat class cars in the other VW group brands.

Skoda Superb was never on my radar - wasn't keen on the previous look, but got a major surprise at the new Superb. First one I saw on the road I thought was a new Audi until I saw the badge.

The repositioning in the market of the Skoda brand, impression, desirability and style is an impressive move and clearly indicates VW will be drifting into a higher price bracket in the coming years as Skoda starts attracting previous VW buyers. Audi will need to drift up the scale further still to maintain the gap between the brands.

I can only imagine the internal competition it must have sparked at the VW group - the VW design team will be worried. Passat will have to significantly up its game at the next revision because it is a clear second to the Skoda on every measure - looks, practicality, kit, extras, prices, service costs etc.

Putting the emotional side of visual desirability to one side (Skoda hands down for me), I moved on to the hard facts of numbers. Every single price is keener.

For everything.

The range of starting trim levels are approximately equivalent to VW until you look at detail -

climate control - standard in Skoda, extra on VW

Apple CarPlay interface standard on Skoda, £125 extra on VW (a tick box in the setup software)

leather seats standard on Skoda (higher trims), extra on VW.

It goes on.

But what really caught my eye was each item was higher for a VW. Sometimes only £10 but often hundreds. For example, Factory swivel towbar £885 VW, £765 Skoda. Identical kit - literally. Final straw is the fixed price servicing VW £159 £329 (minor major service) vs Skoda £139 £259

VW are not stupid - they know how to encourage people to aspire for more/better/higher and they bank on you comparing the brand you currently align yourself with to the next one up - for example Audi. A VW owner can then satisfy themselves they are getting better value for money with VW or can reach for the extra prestige that Audi try to sell. Looking down the chain to a Skoda is rarer.

However the new Skoda is catching people's attention. And the comparisons push the Passat into a second place.

You can see VW are concerned. The discounts (carwow ) you can find on Passats are considerably more generous than Skoda Superb. The end price is still more but what might have been a £5k gap on paper can be reduced to £1800. This speaks volumes.

Looking forward to the delivery of my new Skoda in a few months time.

Enjoyed reading your summary. Especially with the experience that you have had with Passat. This appears to be so across geographical markets also. Enjoy your new Skoda when you receive it. We are still awaiting confirmation of delivery even though the car was assembled almost two weeks ago.

Yawn

I'm not overly bothered by the back end, despite it being utterly devoid of any features. The number plate is the design highlight there. 

I really don't get on with the looks of the front end. I think it's the lack of demarcation between the lights and the grille. It just doesn't work for me. 

I was looking for A6, Passat and Superb. Would have loved another A6 though at nearly £50k and the Passat at £46K its a lot of money and the Superb is cheaper on servicing. I did like the Passat but is dependent on wheel and colour options and inside was a bit boring. Ultimately the Superb won on price and space though was cursing trying to find a parking space in the centre of Birmingham on Saturday night. Be interesting to see what the car is worth in three years time with 120k on the clock. Not much I am guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like the Passat has been de-personalised for the Chinese mass luxobarge market (not competing with the S class obviously but you know what I mean).

The Skoda name and badge are still regarded by many as a joke (blame Jasper Carrott) some VAG group customers who aspire but can't afford an Audi go the VW route rather than checking out what Skoda are now producing. Badge snobbery still exists.

My Merc owner neighbour said that my Skoda was a great car but he couldn't arrive at his golf club in one.

Can't wait for my new S3 :)

I have an S3 estate on order (2.0150D DSG) and last two days have had a hire car for work: Passat 2.0 150D man estate. So was really keen to see what it was like. 450 miles covered and it was ok. Just ok. Ride comfortable, seats less so. Very notchy gearbox I though and dear me, very basic. Not even parking sensors. Build quality good though