Clutch and Flywheel Replacement Costs

I recently changed a clutch and flywheel replaced on a 2010 Octavia 1.6 TDI CR.

Dealer wanted £1100.

Mr.clutch wanted £700.

In the end I found a trustworthy garage who did the job for £470.

It pays to shop around.

Got the clutch and dmf changed ages ago at Mr clutch. Was bout £900 ish. Checked it with the garage I use normally and they were saying that's bout the normal price.

• 1 month later...

I read some info on a post reccomending slave cylinder change at same time as clutch and flywheel due to gearbox having to come out should cylinder fail at a later date .is this info relevant to 05 1.9td as i am sure i have also seen a post saying slave is an easy fix from top of engine in 10mins - am i getting mixed up agains with my senile dementia.?

Trusted indy did our VRS clutch and flywheel for £800 recently. Think it was around £600 for parts and flywheel kit included slave cylinder.

just bought Sachs  Clutch kit including clutch 3 piece - flywheel and bolt kit for 1.9 td octavia 05 reg and managed to get fro £288 + vat also got slave cylinder for £35 + vat europarts

all fitted now and it drives similarly to the brand new octavia i had on loan - clutch is so light. Changed front shocks at the same time and a anti roll bar drop link ,Sachs clutch and flywheel kit £280 + vat slave cylinder £25 + vat shocks Skoda parts £88 for pair inc vat drop link £25 + vat . Mechanic charged me £200 for the work took him all day yesterday and a couple of hours this morning.Told me some play in front o/s wheel bearing so wallet out again i priced it at TPS £120 inc vat

Out of curiousity, when on a TSI VRS would you expect a clutch/DMF need to be replaced? I guess it's based mainly on driving style, condition, and history, but is there a ball park mileage?

My DMF started ticking at tickover and over about 3 months got progressively louder and more annoying ,it could often be silenced or almost silenced by dipping the clutch ,anyway i bit the bullet and changed ,the bearing looked fairly worn and had a small amount of play the dmf had some floaty play but not much ,if you pressed down and kind of stirred it you could feel the play ,the clutch and cover looked very serviceable and would probably live on for many thousands of miles . The clutch has  done about 65k miles and the flywheel about 95k miles so has lasted reasonably well .

• 11 months later...
On 4/27/2016 at 19:28, davidbird said:

My DMF started ticking at tickover and over about 3 months got progressively louder and more annoying ,it could often be silenced or almost silenced by dipping the clutch ,anyway i bit the bullet and changed ,the bearing looked fairly worn and had a small amount of play the dmf had some floaty play but not much ,if you pressed down and kind of stirred it you could feel the play ,the clutch and cover looked very serviceable and would probably live on for many thousands of miles . The clutch has  done about 65k miles and the flywheel about 95k miles so has lasted reasonably well .

This is what mine does - rattles like mad on tickover/start up, when you dip the clutch its fine!

get further advice but yes its probably new clutch time .How many miles has present clutch lasted . Cant remember how much i paid but it wasnt cheap bought from TPS think it was sachs  brand but i did research and price was good in the general market .you can certainly find cheaper versions but would you want to risk it as its not the simplest job to do.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Late in on this topic but wondered if there's any interest out there.

DMF is clacking and rattling - sometimes nothing for a while and really loud at others.  Decided to go for the conversion to SMF.

Car is Octy 1.9PD Ambiente 2008 BXE.  Quoted £576 for full Sachs kit, fitted and including VAT - does this sound reasonable?  Car has done 138k on original.