What bulbs are fitted to the S3 & upgraded bulb recommendations

I only bulked at the door lights as €80 for 4 lights (when I would only see the drivers one working) is rather a lot of money, I was also concerned that the white LED’s would look pink behind the red part of the lens?

Ordered a set of these yesterday:

https://www.aliexpre...1732331590.html

I know they will not be as bright as the Superskoda ones but they use red and white LED’s so the colour should be right and at £4.13 for a set of 4 it was certainly worth a gamble.

Will you be able to contain yourself during the 20-40 days shipping time Gizmo68?

Will you be able to contain yourself during the 20-40 days shipping time Gizmo68?

:D

That is the downside from ordering from AliExpress, I find the best way is to order stuff... then forget all about it until it arrives, mind you I am still waiting for stuff from SuperSkoda that was ordered on 14th November! Items were listed as in stock but were not... next delivery of stock due in 2017!!!

Edited by Gizmo68
  • Like 3

:D

That is the downside from ordering from AliExpress, I find the best way is to order stuff... then forget all about it until it arrives, mind you I am still waiting for stuff from SuperSkoda that was ordered on 14th November! Items were listed as in stock but were not... next delivery of stock due in 2017!!!

At least you can sleep easy at night knowing that Superskoda are gathering interest on your cash instead of you lol :D

you failed to change the LEDs also in the rear doors? I knew there were problems of incompatibility for the rear doors. how did you solve? I think that those of superskoda were only good for the front doors.

• 3 weeks later...

Do I need to buy CANBUS LED bulbs for both interior and exterior on the S3?  Or will I get away with non-CANBUS LED's ?

Specifically, I'm looking to replace:

Interior - boot lights (hatch) and glovebox

Exterior - rear indicators, reverse light

Edited by penguin17

Reversing lights (again) ...

I have the L&K, and the reverse light bulb hits that (stupid?) plate/cap inside the light - so if I understand this correctly, when shopping for a replacement P21W LED at aliexpress.com what I want is all or most light output around the sides of the LED bulb, and as little as possible from the top of the bulb as this light will just hit the back of that plate.. correct?

I see a few recommendations in this thread but not sure whether any of them actually will give me a more powerful reversing light - which is what I want. I don't care if it's LED based or incandescent...

So what will be the optimal purchase from aliexpress or ebay? :-)

The cap inside the light is a reflector, so the LED’s I fitted still work effectively (just not as bright as they would be without the cap in place) if you wanted them even brighter the I’m sure you could remove those caps from the lights??

Do I need to buy CANBUS LED bulbs for both interior and exterior on the S3?  Or will I get away with non-CANBUS LED's ?

Specifically, I'm looking to replace:

Interior - boot lights (hatch) and glovebox

Exterior - rear indicators, reverse light

Anyone?  

Non-CAN worked fine for me. Picked the exact ones from the forst few posts of this topic (Superskoda for boots and doors, Osram for indicators, Ebay whatnot for reverse lights). Osrams came with CAN ballast but didn't need them.

• Like 1

Non-CAN worked fine for me. Picked the exact ones from the forst few posts of this topic (Superskoda for boots and doors, Osram for indicators, Ebay whatnot for reverse lights). Osrams came with CAN ballast but didn't need them.

That's great, thanks!

The cap inside the light is a reflector, so the LED’s I fitted still work effectively (just not as bright as they would be without the cap in place) if you wanted them even brighter the I’m sure you could remove those caps from the lights??

Ok, don't think I'm going to try to remove the cap, but good to know.

I received these from aliexpress, they were really crap so I thought it had something to do with the cap limiting the flood of light:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-360-degrees-100W-2000LM-1156-S25-P21W-BA15S-LED-Backup-Light-Car-Reverse-Bulb-Lamp/32775136384.html

So maybe I should go for something like this, then, if what you're saying is that the cap actually reflects the light back towards the main reflector?

http://www.xenonkungen.no/no/led-diode/ryggelysparer/ba15s-ryggelys-10w.html

Personally I would go with the Ines in my link as they are 80W / 1200 lumens, compared to just:

10W / 500 Lumens in your link, so they will not be very bright.

The caps in the S3 lights may look good, but they do nothing for the performance of the bulbs.

I have the same LED's in our Yeti as well and they are much brighter than in my S3 (they are still a big improve mind)

I received these from aliexpress, they were really crap so I thought it had something to do with the cap limiting the flood of light:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-360-degrees-100W-2000LM-1156-S25-P21W-BA15S-LED-Backup-Light-Car-Reverse-Bulb-Lamp/32775136384.html

please share photos where compared to stock bulbs

like http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/393511-what-bulbs-are-fitted-to-the-s3-upgraded-bulb-recommendations/?p=4757744

I'm going away for a few days now, but I'll try to switch back this weekend and take photos during the procedure!

Cheers

Oh, by the way: has anyone tried to replace the front fog lights with more powerful, but still incandescent bulbs?

i order a few different types of W5W  for boot and glow box light replacements. I have Combi so i see total only 3 lights i can replace (Boot door x 2 + glow box x1)

In  each door there is lights but i will keep those as it is for now. 

For the rear turn signal, and reversing lights i am still searching options.

Philips X-treme vision amber for turn signals might be what i end up. They are like $60 USD

Also for fog lights, i dont need to have fog function so i am thinking Philips X-treme vision white ones instead of the yellow.  I need them to function as my corner lights as i take sharp turns on mountain road in darkness every night. Current ones are not enough and Xenons dont have enough angle (i think 12 degrees only) 

I will post my updated pictures too

So far so good.

LED Cree front fog and rear indicators have arrived from autobulbsdirect.co.uk and 4 W5W Canbus friendly LED's from an Amazon seller have arrived today.  Can't wait to get them fitted...

....I just need a car now.  :(