Satnav / head unit updates

Hey guys, this is my first post.  I've been reading the forum for years, but never bothered signing up as I always found the answers I was looking for, way to go peeps!

I am on my 3rd Skoda now, and am in a bit of a pickle.

I have a 2012 Octavia vRS with Amundsen+ Headunit.  I have looked everywhere to update the maps on the unit.  Even did a VIN search with Skoda on their website, and came up fruitless :(

I found a few posts on here saying click this and that link, and none of them work any more.

So, my question is, can I update my 2012 Satnav software to 2016?  Even if I have to pay.  I just can't find the answers right now.

IF, I can't update my maps, WHY THE HELL NOT!?  what stupid numpty allowed this to happen.  And IF that is the case, can I buy an Octavia III Columbus System, and straight install it into my 2012 Mkii as I know they are able to be updated, and run it without any problems etc.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope someone can give me some solid answers.

Cheers guys

Paul

The O3 and O2 systems are different so can't be interchanged. You can retrofit an O2 Columbus in your car though.

Someone else will no doubt be able to help out regarding the firmware and maps upgrade on your present unit.

Thanks for the reply.  I hope someone will give the answers.  Im finding there are a lot of new roads round my area, and areas that I work in, and they just don't exist on my sat nav, its all well and good firing up my Garmin, but whats the point if I have one inbuilt into the car, just needs an update!! Skoda eh, tut tut ;)

Amundsen Plus units can only be updated via a single use SD Card, usually from the main dealers. They can be had from other sources but still not cheap. And you can only use it once as well so don't be tempted to buy second hand ones, they'll be locked to the unit they were first used on.

You can replace the Amundsen Plus unit with a newer one and get updated maps that way, or you can replace it with a Columbus and similar applies. However, replacing the head unit comes with other issues. If yours has Bluetooth built in, reversing camera, or is a DAB unit, then you'll need one the same to stay at the same level of specification. Columbus will not have Bluetooth built in, but everything else can be compatible as long as you get the correct spec unit.

• Like 1

Columbus DAB units are in excess of £400 at least. However, offset your Amundsen unit sale at say £200 and that's not a lot more than buying a maps update. If you're canny with your buying and selling then you can save a good bit of cash and get a good upgrade aswell.

I don't know enough about the amundsen systems to know for sure, but just in case this saves you some money, take a look.  It may only apply to older systems, I don't know...

http://www.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/download/maps-update/en/amundsen.pdf

I don't know enough about the amundsen systems to know for sure, but just in case this saves you some money, take a look.  It may only apply to older systems, I don't know...

http://www.skoda-auto.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/download/maps-update/en/amundsen.pdf

That's for the new MIB units in the Mk3 Octavia. Not relevant to the Mk2 Octavia unfortunately.

Thank you guys.  Ive been looking at an Alpine Double din too, but I really like my current head unit, just doesnt make sense I cant find a way to update it.  

Is the columbus THAT much better then?  

Also, I don't have bluetooth inbuilt in this Amundsen+, does that mean if I got a columbus head unit, is the bluetooth inbuilt, or would it look to an additional unit (in glove box or under seat etc).  Really sorry for my total ignorance, I just cant make head or tail of these units, its all foreign to me.  Even PDFs just don't answer in plain english what I need to know.

Thanks again for all your inputs!

Your Amundsen Plus has a 5" screen while the Columbus has a 6.5" screen. Yours has a cd drive while the Columbus is a dvd drive. Yours has no internal storage for music while the Columbus has 18Gb of hard drive memory for music. Both have SD card slots. No Columbus have built in Bluetooth just like your current Amundsen Plus. Personally, I think the Columbus is much better.

If you want Bluetooth then the option is either fitted OEM under the drivers seat, OEM squeezed behind the dash if there's room, or A Fiscon Basic Plus system which also fits behind the dashboard. OEM have a few different part numbers for different functions, depending on what phone you have and what functions you want really.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but your car being a blackline will have the Amundsen plus with Bluetooth, it's just the Bluetooth come disabled from the factory, someone with VCDS would be able to enable it and all you would need would be the microphone.

• Like 1

Hi ,I have the same car and the Bluetooth just needs enabling with vcds then you will need a mic fitting all the info is on this site,a very kind gent mike holroyd fitted mine and enabled the Bluetooth it took him about 45 mins .

• Like 1

Thank you again all for the detailed break down of the benefits of the Columbus! Very interesting.

Even more interesting about the Bluetooth in the black line. I have a parrot kit but just haven't brought myself to fit it yet, so knowing that there's a good chance I just need it turning on, result. It did surprise me that every time I pressed phone it just muted the radio or whatever, and other friends with VAG cars have the Bluetooth, so I will look into that. Would much prefer to have that than a parrot.

Cheers

Paul

Definitely want OEM? If the Colombus is £400+, why not get an android based system that will allow many choices of maps? Even the Google maps that you'd be able to use are great and are obviously continuously updated. I can't remember the last time I used a dedicated satnav...

• Like 1

You should rather get a decent phone with a decent car holder and use that.

I have Columbus and while its nice there, in all senses it sucks as a Navi, old equipment from 2009.

You have much better choices at 20-30 quid Phone Navi apps, with constantly updated PoI's, streets, etc etc. with Maps updated every quarter.

VW Maps are a year old always, and while there are ways to get them free, the Unit does not do much as a Navi.

New Car Navi's have either Android Car or Apple thingy that mirrors your Phone, since this unit will never support that, best choice is a Smartphone.

I personally use 2-3 phone apps, and can't remember last time i used Navi on Columbus, thought once a year I update maps and the unit firmware.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the thing that I really like with this car is the dotmatix screen I think it's called, on the display panel, giving you turn by turn instructions. I do close protection so I need to get from A to B quickly and correctly, and not find myself in a dead end or end up heading totally the wrong way. I have a nice garmin sat nav which my navigator normally has, I like my current set up, just wish I could update it.

I obviously could use my current sat nav too or buy another one or as suggested a sat nav app on my iPhone, but it's losing the matrix quick reference and heads up without taking eyes off road too much, and I can't really have voice commands as we use radios and things that could drown out commands. Bloody cars!!!

Thank you guys, this gives me a lot of ideas to research and see what would suit me the best!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Thank you again all for the detailed break down of the benefits of the Columbus! Very interesting.

Even more interesting about the Bluetooth in the black line. I have a parrot kit but just haven't brought myself to fit it yet, so knowing that there's a good chance I just need it turning on, result. It did surprise me that every time I pressed phone it just muted the radio or whatever, and other friends with VAG cars have the Bluetooth, so I will look into that. Would much prefer to have that than a parrot.

Cheers

Paul

hi. I also have the 2012 Blackline Octavia VRS and have had the Bluetooth activated and mic fitted for the hands free. Works great. Why they did not activate the Bluetooth on the Amundsen plus from the start I don't know

• 2 months later...

Thanks guys, the thing that I really like with this car is the dotmatix screen I think it's called, on the display panel, giving you turn by turn instructions. I do close protection so I need to get from A to B quickly and correctly, and not find myself in a dead end or end up heading totally the wrong way. I have a nice garmin sat nav which my navigator normally has, I like my current set up, just wish I could update it.

I obviously could use my current sat nav too or buy another one or as suggested a sat nav app on my iPhone, but it's losing the matrix quick reference and heads up without taking eyes off road too much, and I can't really have voice commands as we use radios and things that could drown out commands. Bloody cars!!!

Thank you guys, this gives me a lot of ideas to research and see what would suit me the best!

Cheers

Sorry if the thread has come to a natural conclusion, just saw this scrolling down. You could get the Alpine iLX-700 double din head unit which does CarPlay for iPhone, I think also android auto. It has an adaptor available for skoda that allows the display of park sensors and climate on the head unit, and I think also information on the maxi dot. The downsides are no disk drive and no Bluetooth, it expects you to have a phone plugged in and all your data and navigation on there

• 2 months later...

I understand from Skoda that the first three years of SatNav updates are free, however logging into the Skoda update website has resulted in two and a half years of "no updates available" followed by the last message of "take it to the dealer". I have an Amundsen Plus with DAB and bluetooth.

The dealer knew nothing of this and kept telling me I have to go online to the Skoda update website, which I had to tell them three times is what I've already been doing since September 2013 with no luck. 

The Skoda site says these updates are usually twice a year so there should be a few available by now (the dealer said it was only approximate so three years is similar to six months in their eyes!)

So, does anybody know if there has been any map/firmware updates for the Amundsen Plus since September 2013?

So, does anybody know if there has been any map/firmware updates for the Amundsen Plus since September 2013?

Yes, but they aren't free...

Only MIB headunits qualify for the free updates and as you have a Amundsen Plus (RNS-315) then you'll need to buy a new SD card every time you want to update.

The latest is V8 (released W45/2015) so they are almost a year old, I would expect a new release in the next month or so.

Part numbers 3T0 051 255 P (Skoda) or 3AA 051 866 AH (VW) should both be V8 for Western Europe. Make sure you don't by the Eastern Europe maps as the UK won't be included :)

Many thanks for that information, a great improvement over the Skoda dealer! I will wait for V9 to come out.

Some questions for Skoda:

• So the Skoda statement of "the first three years free updates" appears to be false.
  • Also why didn't my update enquiries on the Skoda website produce a message like langers2k response?

Im keeping my std headunit and going to fit the alpine ezi dab which has dab, Bluetooth and a usb slot for ipods etc. They cost just over £100 and you can get deals that throw in a digital aerial for not a lot more. I wouldnt pay silly money for an old headunit that by current standards is outdated.

Daniel from Skoda just phoned, and confirmed there is no three year free updates for maps/firmware. He also said there's no current updates, but when I told him I have V4 and they're now up to V8, he said they don't keep any records of previous updates, just that there are no current updates (?).

This may be my first and last Skoda...