No name on radio system?

Is this normal?

Anyone else?

Absolutely nothing written on it anywhere, and is it quite normal for it to take up to 40 seconds for the radio or /and cd (media)  to 'wake up' whilst 'system starting' sometimes too?

I actually haven't got a clue which model I have installed. It has sat nav is the only clue I can give you.

Even the dealer asked me which model it was over the 'phone when I couldn't turn it off 9 months ago.

I told them I couldn't' tell him, and he seemed surprised

With Sat Nav it should be either a Columbus or Admunsun

Non Sat Nav a Bolero 

I think  :notme:

But it doesn't have a name printed on the facia at all.

Is this common, or am I being a bit overly suspicious that for some reason a spurious cheap replacement has been fitted due to theft during transit before delivery?

Might explain some of the troubles I've had with this lousy and slow unit.

The basic standard one in my Fabia vRS is of better quality imo, albeit without the sat nav

Edited by Adenuf

Does it look like either of these...... If not you've had an after market unit fitted.

Do you reckon?

It's definitely the first one, but obviously without Skoda auto and Columbus written on it, which now leads very nicely to the question...WHY has ...what was ....a brand new car 2 years ago fitted with an after market radio?

I think this unit needs to be taken out by an auto electrician for closer inspection, serial numbers inspected etc, photo's and a written complaint.

It has been a very troublesome piece of equipment, and now I'm beginning to possibly understand why!

As for all the other electrical bother I've unusually experienced and had with this car, I'm now starting to become increasingly suspicious that other items have either been tampered with damaged and or replaced with dodgy replacements.

Edited by Adenuf

Possible that you have had the VW version fitted (RNS510) like this one.

617c7b41e2a5ac789a429f051d330ddd.jpg

Are the menus and buttons green like this Skoda one?

4887a4e2d3f1ea4f9d075b019c6e1002.jpg

1147cddb2064be6e48a756c00ec1da99.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by WaveyDavey

Has yours got DAB radio on it? The later Columbus systems came with a blank fascia so it's possible you have a new unit fitted.

No.

No writing or graphics at all....apart from on the buttons

I presume you've either got a fairly new system, or someone has replaced the from with a VW one then, because the VW units have an unbranded faceplate same as the later Columbus ones.

Easy to tell, just snap a pic of it and post it up here, or send me a message and I'll send you an email address to send it to.

Sometimes our screen remains black and it can take a while to boot. Other times it can boot quickly. I've noticed that the radio comes on very quickly either way, slow boot or not..

Do you get an oblong box message saying.....system initialising'  when this happens?

I have timed it, and it does taker approx 30-40 seconds to start up, but it only happens randomly, albeit virtually every day at some point

Edited by Adenuf

I presume you've either got a fairly new system, or someone has replaced the from with a VW one then, because the VW units have an unbranded faceplate same as the later Columbus ones.

Easy to tell, just snap a pic of it and post it up here, or send me a message and I'll send you an email address to send it to.

Car built early 2014 I presume.

I'll go and take a picture and TRY and load it on here

The later Columbus units used on the facelifted Superb II don't have any branding on the fascia plate. You can confirm this by browsing through Autotrader and checking the images on cars for sale.

Somewhat slow startup is normal - it's effectively a small computer and it takes time for it to initialise. Supposedly the bootup time depends on how long it was since powered down. I find on mine that the radio and media player work as soon as the vehicle is started, but it takes a little time for the system to initialise to the point where I can control it.

• Like 1

As regards the "System staring" message.  When the unit boots up from cold (after a 2 hour shut down period) then it takes up to a minute to fully boot up. During this time if you try and change the functions (or set a sat nav destination perhaps) then the unit will display "System starting" and a progress bar. If you turn the unit on before it's gone to sleep completely then it ill not show the system starting message as it doesn't need to start up.

• Like 1