Have skoda reduced the Front brake disc size on new VRS's?

Just had the following reply from the dealer after querying this:

The factory have come back to me to say that all Octavia Vrs Diesels built since the first week of 2016 have got the smaller discs. They have said this change makes absolutely no difference to the brakes in regards to performance or efficiency of the cars. There has been no official reason given, and it was a decision made by the factory.

:think:

Edited by skodaphile

You can warp disks on anything if you try, especially if they have not been bedded in properly. I straighten the disks on SWMBOs machine now and again putting a bit of heat back in them after she has abused them. Google "Brembo brake bedding-in procedure" as an idea

I have the 312f/272r on two of mine The brakes get some use on one in particular and have never given me concern. 

If you have mapped the car and playing with the pads has not fixed the problem you probably need to be going above the standard 340 setup anyway. If you have modified the car for performance it should be no issue to modify the brakes and IMHO should be done the other way around anyway.

I have one machine with 340f/310r that provides a good balance (ironically similar to the 312/272 setup) Having big front brakes and nothing at the back with your a**e hanging out round corners may be the thing on a track, but as a machine to get places on busy roads in bad weather I prefer I prefer the front to stop at the same rate as the back.

Just had the following reply from the dealer after querying this:

The factory have come back to me to say that all Octavia Vrs Diesels built since the first week of 2016 have got the smaller discs. They have said this change makes absolutely no difference to the brakes in regards to performance or efficiency of the cars. There has been no official reason given, and it was a decision made by the factory.

:think:

I'm Notsure that's exactly true as mine was probably built just before Xmas and had the smaller brake setup.

I've not had a reply to my enquiry with skoda uk yet.

For me it's 3 things

I'm more likely to warp smaller/thinner discs-yes I could probably adjust my driving style but why should I. My MK2 I warped the discs and got loads of brake fade, but there were green stuff pads on the front and I think the car had been mapped.

Aesthetics-can't really comment more on this

Safety. Similar to point one but I feel so much more confident with the brakes on this car. Similar to the updated discs that were on my BMW's that had 6 pot diesel lumps in.

That said point 1 and 2 could be deleted until I test the new set up.

The MK3 has so much potential mapping power it's a big shame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 312mm are fine, and frankly going up to the 340 adds so much weight, you'd be far better off going for a brembo or willwood 2 pot set up.

People used to swap the 340mm set up for porsche ones all the time, so no worries there.

People used to swap the 340mm set up for porsche ones all the time, so no worries there.

its the NQSBBK  :thumbup: lightweight boxster (brembo) 4-pot calipers match the 312s very well. good how-to on the mk2 here

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/169744-not-so-big-brake-kit-porsche-brembo-4-pot-callipers-on-vrs/

Trouble is they do not fit under most of the mk3 alloys without some sort of spacer.

IbizaAlex if you want more details

So you only decided to buy the car because of the brake disc size. Not the engine, wheels, tyres, performance, seats, lights, etc. etc.?

On the principle that i'm not getting what I thought I ordered yes.. 

I'm Notsure that's exactly true as mine was probably built just before Xmas and had the smaller brake setup.

My vRS TDI estate was built week 51 of 2015, and has the old 340mm disc setup. Probably down to luck which parts were fitted then. Unless this is a UK spec change, but I really doubt that?

Edited by Malakim

Spoke to SUK today, they say they are unaware of this issue (which seems odd as so many people have contacted them).

I am sure the 312 brakes are perfectly fine and do a good job.

My only concern is that if I have bought a product as described to me at the point of purchase (before the smaller brakes were introduced), I would like to think I'd get what I bought/advertised.

If during production there is a change in spec from the original model, then I would expect my purchase/spec to be honoured as this is what I purchased at the time.

Additionally, if the cost of the vehicle has not changed in either the TDI or TSI but the TDI gets the "lesser/alternative/down graded" brakes, then there is something wrong here.

I am not for one moment suggesting that the brakes don't work or that I would like them changed (if SUK offer then I will decide then), all I wish is that the product I paid for is as sold.

That's exactly how I see it Airborne, had I known of the change it wouldn't have affected my decision to buy the car, it would have been a little disappointing yes. I'm just incredibly miffed the car isn't as I expected it to be and I would at least like an explanation, especially after shelling out the best part of £27k.

Spoke to SUK today, they say they are unaware of this issue (which seems odd as so many people have contacted them).

I am sure the 312 brakes are perfectly fine and do a good job.

My only concern is that if I have bought a product as described to me at the point of purchase (before the smaller brakes were introduced), I would like to think I'd get what I bought/advertised.

If during production there is a change in spec from the original model, then I would expect my purchase/spec to be honoured as this is what I purchased at the time.

Additionally, if the cost of the vehicle has not changed in either the TDI or TSI but the TDI gets the "lesser/alternative/down graded" brakes, then there is something wrong here.

I am not for one moment suggesting that the brakes don't work or that I would like them changed (if SUK offer then I will decide then), all I wish is that the product I paid for is as sold.

Has anyone ever contacted Skoda UK about an issue with their car and had them say anything different?

That's exactly how I see it Airborne, had I known of the change it wouldn't have affected my decision to buy the car, it would have been a little disappointing yes. I'm just incredibly miffed the car isn't as I expected it to be and I would at least like an explanation, especially after shelling out the best part of £27k.

That's how I see it. I've spent a lot of money on a product, expecting to get said product as explained/described/shown. If the product needs alteration from my original spec then a reason must be given and communication must be sought.

It's not a supply issue, as TSI's are still getting the "larger" brakes, so I can only assume it is a cost cutting exercise (£550ish instead of £840ish). If this is the case I would like the difference returned (as I've paid for the £840 brakes but not received them) or swap them.

Has anyone ever contacted Skoda UK about an issue with their car and had them say anything different?

Absolutely correct that man. Wouldnt have expected anything less. They will look into it and get back to me. I'll keep you guys posted.

Should have bought a TSi...;-).

Might ask them to swap the entire car for a TSI just so I can have those bigger, better, more powerful brakes. ;-).

Had to go diesel in reality......as my username suggests, im military so plenty of long drives and a diesel works better for me.

Might ask them to swap the entire car for a TSI just so I can have those bigger, better, more powerful brakes. ;-).

Had to go diesel in reality......as my username suggests, im military so plenty of long drives and a diesel works better for me.

I went diesel but would probably went TSi had I known about this issue before hand tbh..

My mileage does not really justify a diesel if I'm honest......

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has had a TSI delivered in the past week or two to make sure they are still being delivered with bigger brakes...

I went for the 19" xtremes so really hope it still arrives with the bigger brakes

This came from a mate so how true I don't know, but he seemed to remember a "similar" situation a few years ago where (he thinks) Renault??? had a car that initially was being delivered with Recaro front seats, all the demo cars had Recaros and the brochure showed Recaros, critically though the spec listing only stated "front sports seats" (so a bit like the Skoda one stating single piston disc brakes when referring to the Octavia, a very generic term). Anyway out of the blue cars started to be delivered with the std companies own "sports seats" and then a month or so later a new brochure came out, it still showed Recaros in the photos but listed them as an expensive option. He couldn't remember the exact outcome but it was felt that customers had been mislead even though the brochure didn't state Recaro branded seats were fitted and those who had made a fuss about it had them retro fitted as a "good will gesture", anyone who hadn't challenged it was not contacted in any way or notified of the issue.

• Like 1

I was asked by SUK if the brakes were listed in the spec.

I told them that there are many items not listed in the brochure which have come with the car.......rear view mirror, plastic cap for 12V socket, pistons in my engine, crank shaft etc etc. I hope they are all there!

It shouldn't be a gesture of good will but correctly building my car as per what was sold.

I purchased the "performance model" (I know people are going to say, but you got the diesel) and such has the performance parts which include sports suspension, sports seats, sports steering wheel but not the life saving sports/performance brakes.

If they honour it and swap them. Brilliant.

Until then, Wait out.

I've had a response today saying all cars built in 2016 have the smaller brake setup. All perfectly safe etc and give same performance.

My arguement to them is my car wasn't built it 2016 it's was build 2015. Email from skoda dated 15/12/15 saying car was being built lol. Skoda agreed this was odd and opened a case to try and get it resolved. How do I find out exactly what build week it was done. It's more than likely the car was start before the email as two weeks in 2016 I had the email saying its on the way to the dealer. Collected the car 30/01/16.

Edited by marcholloway

I've had a response today saying all cars built in 2016 have the smaller brake setup. All perfectly safe etc and give same performance.

My arguement to them is my car wasn't built it 2016 it's was build 2015. Email from skoda dated 15/12/15 saying car was being built lol. Skoda agreed this was odd and opened a case to try and get it resolved. How do I find out exactly what build week it was done. It's more than likely the car was start before the email as two weeks in 2016 I had the email saying its on the way to the dealer. Collected the car 30/01/16.

when you say ALL cars... do you mean all diesels or all cars including the TSI?

I don't know about the scandal aspect but today I saw my car in profile view for the first time properly. I noticed the front discs filled the 18" wheels nicely, the back ones however looked similar to the ones in the middle of my 29" mountain bike wheels. Absolute go-kart fodder. Its a crime.

• Like 1