Eco Mode ... Is it worth using ?

I don't use Stop Start... I don't want to discuss why so lets keep that discussion out of the thread please.

So... Eco. Without Start / Stop enabled.

Worth using on a motorway run / around town ?

Yes / No

Yes. due to the reduced power / throttle response you get with the eco map on the car until you get to the click in the accelerator.

This map in theory should use less.. However.. The other side is less power means the engine works harder to get up to speed ?

On a motorway cruise a slower throttle response should us less fuel.

Edited by RickTT
  • Like 1

I used it for a while and it was ok for pottering around town and leisurely drives on the motorway, you could easily slip back into Sport mode by flicking the gear lever.

But the difference between the two is too great, if you could go from Eco to Normal it would be better. You're either pottering or going manic!

After a trip to Germany  I changed back to Normal as Eco was just to slow to keep up with the fast traffic on the Autobahn and have now left it like that, no perceptable difference in consumption but I am not anal on checking that.

What I would really like is to be able to have the choice of coasting in normal drive

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 2

As I posted in one of the other threads (not sure which off the top of my head), Eco gives us a few extra MPG around town. Where we live is all dual carriageways, mainly 30mph and 40mph limits. As such Eco mode is ideal in that I can coast up to stationary traffic and red lights before getting back on the gas when things start to move. I tend to find about 3 to 4mpg improvement using Eco, and the mpg moves up faster on a cold engine also. The reduced output isn't really an issue on the local roads as they're invariably full of cars and the lights are red more often than not anyway. Eco mode on the TSI 'feels' slow compared to full power, but you still get away from the lights faster than everyone else without even trying so it's only a perception issue rather than a real one.

Once on the open roads (arterial A roads, motorways) the engine is warm and I'm back to Normal mode, saving Sport mode for the twisty roads where the improved throttle response is a benefit on the corners.

• Like 2

From my experience it's a waste of time if you are (or could be) using ACC.

Not sure around town but considering it will coast (out of gear) when you lift off the throttle it's got to help a little.

• Like 1

I have posted my previous post from 16th April

"Travelled from Nottingham to Hawkestone Park Golf Club last week, in NORMAL mode, well laden with two golf bags and two trolleys and one passenger using ACC set at 73mph (true 70mph) where road conditions and speed limits allowed. Some more rural roads nearer the venue after the A50 dual carriageway. Maxidot showed 49mpg on way there and 60mpg with ECO set on return journey. Brim to brim experience over 3 fills shows Maxidot about 3 mpg optimistic as was the case with my previous VW. Passat 2.0TDI.

The driving characteristics are very different in that when I cancel ACC the speed hardly drops in what I assume is "Coasting Mode".
This suits my usual driving style as I normally drift up to junctions, standing traffic etc. rather than braking hard.
I will test again on a long run to ascertain whether this was a one-off. Certainly, I was happy driving in ECO mode which I appreciate may not suit the press-on guys who work for a living! 
In around 8 weeks my 1.4 TSI DSG Estate will arrive and I will hand back the wrongly supplied 2.0 TDI DSG. I hope I enjoy the Petrol as much as I enjoy the Diesel!"
  • Like 1

I use it every now and then. I'm using it at the moment to see what sort of mileage I can squeeze from a tank of derv. I also use it when playing fuel light bingo as well. 

It's worth noting that Eco mode disables the Smart Light Assist as well as the dynamic cornering function. I had my car set to Eco when I collected it and the SLA didn't work. I thought I had a misbuild on my hands! 

90% of the time I have my car on Individual mode, I can't remember what everything is set to, but the gearbox is certainly set to Eco as the coast mode is excellent - now i'm used to the way it works. I think it saves a considerable amount of fuel when used correctly. 

I also find Eco mode encourages slower and more relaxed driving, which is nice at times. 

Edited by dstev2000

Did the same journey recently - firstly in Normal mode and secondly in ECO mode, interesting stats below:

Normal Mode:

WP_20160422_09_00_54_Pro.jpg

ECO Mode:

WP_20160427_08_30_05_Pro_LI.jpg

Both journeys utilised ACC for 95% and permanently whilst on motorway. Both journeys were early in the morning, albeit about 30 mins difference.

Hardly scientific but ECO seems pointless with ACC as you don't get the coasting ability which would increase MPG.

• Like 1

How do your batteries stand up using ECO or ACC. I have a voltmeter fitted in my vehicle, unless battery is fully charged on overrun the voltage can rise to 15v, on acceleration the voltage drops to the battery level, untill fully charged when on overun you only get battery voltage. On ECO & ACC on deceleration you get no increase in charging voltage, and battery level is shown. In ECO as the engine is uncoupled from the gearbox it should return to tickover hence very little battery charge. In ECO cutting down on charging level should use less fuel, in ACC again it should  use less fuel as you also get low battery charge on overrun. The system used to only allow maximum charge on deceleration, and cutting charge on acceleration, reduces drag on the engine by the alternator and hence allows more power to the engine, and slight increase in economy. I have found the best economy by using normal with my DSG and using right foot, I don't crawl, on dual carriage ways I rarely drop below 70, on motorways I drive a little faster. I know my accurate speed as it is checked on rolling road up to 120. Also a Satellite speedo which at the moment is spot on with rolling road tests. Fuel is always brim/brim or in my case first cut off. Fuel BP Ultimate,. and usually from same pump at same station, unless I have to fuel up on the road again only BP Ultimate.

Did the same journey recently - firstly in Normal mode and secondly in ECO mode, interesting stats below:

Normal Mode:

WP_20160422_09_00_54_Pro.jpg

ECO Mode:

WP_20160427_08_30_05_Pro_LI.jpg

Looking at your screen shots you seem to be in Sport mode in the top picture not Normal.

Edited by philsmith

Why does SLA disable in Eco?

I have absolutely no idea! It can't be energy consumption can it? I can't see those little motors in each headlight using that much power. 

Looking at your screen shots you seem to be in Sport mode in the top picture not Normal.

I have the drive mode set to Sport but DSG sits in "D" mode NOT "S" mode.

Which makes the stats even more alarming - Sport is more economical than Eco?

I've tried it when commuting into and out of Sheffield the last few days and it's not making much difference fuel-wise down the A57 and into town. I find the lack of engine breaking odd, especially when picking up speed downhill towards stationary traffic.

In comparison I went for a 'spirited' run the other day in sport mode and achieved 30mpg. Obviously the conditions were different as I wasn't sat in rush-hour traffic.

I found the same with my old Superb and the Octavia before that - driving like a granny used more fuel than hooning around everywhere.

• Like 1

On my o3 1.8tsi 4x4 dsg I find no difference at all betwee Eco and normal.

The only upside with ecomode is a more comfy acceleration when using ACC.

On my o3 1.8tsi 4x4 dsg I find no difference at all betwee Eco and normal.

The only upside with ecomode is a more comfy acceleration when using ACC.

I don't want to insult you, but how are you driving in Eco mode? I've found that to use it 'properly' you need a pulse and glide type technique. If I 'just drive' i.e. get to speed and stay there then economy isn't much different. The boon of Eco mode is the ability to coast/sail in neutral. I only see maybe a 1mpg increase driving 'normally' in Eco mode and likely that's just the dulled throttle map. However if you get up to speed then let off the gas at every opportunity you get, you'll see a marked improvement in economy that the same driving style won't give you in Normal mode.

Generally I get to speed, then I'm off the gas as much as on it. For example, approaching other cars, approaching lights, slightly downhill, or even just reaching the speed limit (ish) then it's always back off the gas. You'll coast for a while then slowly lose 1 or 2 mph, or the light will change, or whatever... then back on the gas. Rinse and repeat. I get a good 4-5mpg extra this way without even trying. It becomes second nature after a while. As a plus, you'll find that you don't use your brakes half as often and get to roll through lights without stopping. If nothing else you're saving on brake pads and wear on the system from repeated stops and starts.

If we say an average 3 MPG improvement over the week, that's saved you almost as many pounds. It might not sound much but that's £150 a year saved on petrol even if you only use it in places and times you could never make brisk progress anyway (i.e. around town, rush hour, busy motorways). Don't get me wrong that £150 will never make it back to my bank account, but it does essentially give me 'free fuel' for my many hoons around the twisty roads on the weekends! :thumbup:

• Like 2

I compared it by driving normally on the same bit of road (330km).

Coasting would help that much in this case, because the hills are a bit steep, and coasting would pick too much speed. Normal enginebraking is needed, and would probably return even lower consumption.

But it can be that my use of ACC kinda defeats eco-mode by not allowing it to Coast where it can.

But I did manage to get a consumption of 6,3l/100km with an average speed of 75kmh. I think its quite ok considering that its close to impossible to maintain a steady pace because of twisty roads and some villages along the route.

• Like 1

I use eco the same way as Derv. I learnt early on that it is important to make sure that there is NO pressure on the accelerator so I take my foot away just as you do when in 'cruise'. Going down hill as soon as you flick the brake pedal it will engage fully into the correct gear and if you want to override that then just flick the throttle again and you coast. Nothing definitive on increased mpg but I would estimate about the same as Derv reports. I don't use it at night because of the restrictions on things like smart light etc

I don't use ACC very often as most of my use is rural where it really doesn't help. On longer runs on A or Motorway I will use it and at a steady 75 mph without any intervention by me it will result in 55-60 mpg easily, sometimes a little more if the run is not too undulating.

I use eco the same way as Derv. I learnt early on that it is important to make sure that there is NO pressure on the accelerator so I take my foot away just as you do when in 'cruise'. Going down hill as soon as you flick the brake pedal it will engage fully into the correct gear and if you want to override that then just flick the throttle again and you coast. Nothing definitive on increased mpg but I would estimate about the same as Derv reports. I don't use it at night because of the restrictions on things like smart light etc

I don't use ACC very often as most of my use is rural where it really doesn't help. On longer runs on A or Motorway I will use it and at a steady 75 mph without any intervention by me it will result in 55-60 mpg easily, sometimes a little more if the run is not too undulating.

Do you have the option of "individual"?  I am using ECO for Engine but that is all, everything else is set to Normal so that I get things like Smart Light etc.

• Like 2