5 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

Are there any symptoms prior to the failure that I could watch out for?

I noticed the car saying "Operating Temperature not maintained" on the start-stop status info screen in January a few times which I suspect are symptoms.  I put it down to being January and doing about 70 down the main road so in spite of the water temperature being at about 90, maybe wind chill was too much.  But after I saw it last Monday just before it overheated, its made me suspicious that January was the first symptoms.

I guess the other thing to look for is water temperature changing to be hotter than 90C in "normal" driving conditions.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

Are there any symptoms prior to the failure that I could watch out for?

Mine is 2016 but still would like to be informed to the maximum.

In my case, the "quick warm up" feature didn't work, but I didn't know that feature existed.

Basic way to trigger it was a short (3-4 mile) drive at slow town speeds (20-30mph) in light traffic, and then drive up a steep hill again at about 20-30mph.  Reach top of hill ===> overheat!

I drove the car for another couple of weeks (until the dealer could fit me in), so kept an eye on the temperature gauge - as it seemed the trigger condition is quite unique.  My normal drive to work (a bit less town work, and then a longer but more shallow hill) never triggered it.

I think that by 2016 the part has been revised, and may not even be the same the on the 150 TDI....

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I think I have just had the same issue last night, my car is a 2014 with 55000 on the clock, and 3 months out of warranty.  Mine was on a short drive, about 5 miles in and was only doing about 55mph, big red warning came up on dash, so I pulled over and the temp immediately went back down!

I see lots of u were able to get a lot of urs done under good will, how did u manage to get this done??  

Im just wondering whether I would be best to go to Skoda or go to an independent garage and get it all done??

I've replied to your PM, so won't repeat myself here.  However if you want it done under warranty then you'll need to visit a dealer.  Sound them out first before committing yourself.

As your car is out of warranty by age, you can now use the older than 3 year servicing costs to base your decision on.

A short, slow drive for a few miles and then a quick hill climb in generally the trigger to indicate the sticking sleeve on the waterpump.

I guess you have to go to the dealer & hope you have an understanding technician/representative.

However, as it occured so soon after your warrenty has expired it should give you good grounds to negotiate at least a contribution to the costs.

I am in the same boat, I've done 70k km (theres only 2 years warranty here in switzerland) and at the last service the dealer "topped-up" the coolant.

I told them I knew about the issue with the pump sleeve & asked if it needed changing, however, after checking they said there were no signs of leakage & nothing to indicate the pump needed replacing so they wouldnt do anything.

42 minutes ago, Boundy123 said:

Just had my water pump done on my 3.5 year old vRS, I have an all component warranty as its approved used, so went straight in at the dealership. Was told it was leaking 

leaking is a different issue to the overheat issue - where the sleeve jams, reducing the water flow.

On 20/04/2017 at 13:07, mbames said:

leaking is a different issue to the overheat issue - where the sleeve jams, reducing the water flow.

Only found out it was leaking after it went in due to the over heating issue 

My dealer (based in Durham) knew what it was before I took it in and even offered the goodwill route before I could kick off!

No leaks, just a sudden increase in temperature about 15 mins starting from cold. Pullover, let it tick over for a couple of mins and it's back to normal for the rest of the run. First time it did it was about 6mths-year ago. Thought it was a one off, then next did end Feb roaring up a steep hill. Nothing for a fortnight then started doing it on a regular basis. My best suggestion is as soon as you have an unexplained temp increase like that, get it in as soon as.

Good advise, the sooner it is logged at the dealer as something to investigate (even if they find nothing immediately) you have better grounds for claiming at least some of the costs back from Skoda.

1 hour ago, Gabbo said:

Good advise, the sooner it is logged at the dealer as something to investigate (even if they find nothing immediately) you have better grounds for claiming at least some of the costs back from Skoda.

Deffo, get it looked at before the warranty expires (miles and age), as after that you will have a battle on your hands to get it all the costs covered.  Mine failed at ~2 1/2 years, but as I was over the 60k miles (by about 1k miles) Skoda tried to wash their hands of it.

My 2013 vRS Diesel has just been hit with this. Dealer has diagnosed new water pump required. It's done 37,000 miles. 3 months out of warranty.

I am being mugged off by all parties.

The dealer says Skoda Customer Services have only offered 50% parts 50% labour, they cannot give me an exact price as their "systems" were down, but the estimate was around £500 AFTER the discounts had been applied. This does not include the £99 "fault finding" fee.

Skoda Customer Services have a couple of different stories they are trying at the moment. The first is that there is no concept of good will from Skoda at all, in fact it is the dealers that offer it. The second is that they are now trying to work out what can be done to lower the bill.

I have no interest in getting the work done at a Skoda dealer, I may as well drive it to the local garage that I've used for years who are trustworthy and reliable and have it fitted / fixed at probably a third of the cost. My only interest is in Skoda covering the cost of the entire piece of work and parts as I believe from what I have read on here:

- It appears to be a common fault (from what has been posted on here and other sites)

- The replacement part is a revised model

- I suspect there is (or was) a TPI issued to warn dealers about this issue

Can anyone help me with the last point? I'm planning to pay for an hours access to erWIN to try and see if I can find a copy of a TPI.

I understand that an expired warranty is expired, but the sale of goods act also states that products must last a "reasonable" life time, I would not call 37,000 miles for a water pump a reasonable life time - the local indy garage (very helpful) are very surprised to see one being needed at 37,000 miles. I have now been without the car for a week, and if I let the Skoda dealer fix it I will be without it for another week as well.

I also object to the cost, obviously no cost is ideal but if they are really suggesting that a water pump replacement costs nearly £1000 I am staggered at how much they are ripping people off. I am waiting for a quote back but I would anticipate a cost at an independent garage of around £250? One of the main reasons I think the cost is unreasonable is the fact that I am only just outside my warranty period, I would not expect such a major part to fail within a matter of weeks of the warranty expiring.

Is Skoda Customer Services separate from Skoda HQ / the company? Do I need to address any complaints directly to Skoda HQ or is this done via Customer Services? I'm slightly confused on this.

It is also on a PCP so I plan to pursue this avenue.

£1000!!! thats taking the ****.  cant you just ppr to have a fixed price cambelt with water pump change and then get 50% off that price?

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed/pages/default.aspx?gclid=CjwKEAjw85DIBRCy2aT0hPmS1jkSJAC1m9UvcIApbjmzSt7U3Iz3iTOagd9fXF-ZgWppcC8HLm0IhhoCDtDw_wcB

Cambelt with waterpump*

incl_waterpump.JPG  
Citigo/Fabia £435
Other models

£485

To me it sounds like the dealer hasn't even checked for goodwill from skoda uk or the factory and they are just planning to pocket 50% of the repair costs themselves regardless of what's on offer, you may well have 100% goodwill given the vehicles age and mileage but they earn more if they charge you personally as a retail customer. 

there is a TPI for this issue on the 1.6/2.0 Diesel engines and the 1.4 and it's been mentioned in the tech webinars from the last 2 years so they don't need to diagnose the fault and charge you £99 because it's a known issue and should be explored first before any other digging takes place. 

Even at full retail cost of 2.5 hours labour (£250?) plus the part (£150?) plus coolant (£20?) and VAT - that's still just over £500 and nowhere near £1000 as they are implying. 

The timing belt does not necessarily need replacing with the pump unless you wish to pay for the additional parts. 

Skoda customer services is ran by Capita in Leeds, nothing to do with SUK in Milton Keynes. The people you generally deal with are non technical prompt sheet readers, usually Leeds university students working part time (just like the DVSA in Swansea) who have little interest in helping you out and little enthusiasm to go the extra mile to resolve your issues. 

• Like 2

This was the argument I started with Skoda, and eventually won.  They time and time again said that SUK CS don't offer good will anymore, and it down to the dealer.  They have to request it to be approved from SUK CS (my understanding), and the most they can claim back is 50%.

The Fixed Servicing price they quote on their website is for cars > 3 years, so you should be able to get them to use those prices and then haggle for 50% off that.  My car was under 3 years when it went in for the same issue (just just over the mileage warranty limit), and they tried to mug me off with the "we can charge what we like as we don't publish prices for cars which are less than 3 years old".

I went down the route of "so Skoda believe it is acceptable to replace the water pump price, each time at a cost of £500+ before a cambelt is due, which then generally involves the cameblt being changed too.  This is simply not acceptable."

I spoke to SUK twice, and got nowhere better than 50% of a really expensive "made up price", and eventually FB'd them and spoke to someone else from Customer services (they phoned me).  I put my argument across again, stating that as the part has been revised it must show there was a design fault, and I refuse to pay."  Eventually SUK CS told the dealer to do it FOC, but it took a week before this happened.  Guess the dealer got 50% back from SUK, and the rest of the cost they had to fake through the books - training, or something.  Either way, I am not sure the dealer in question ever wants to see me again!  Curiously enough the first time I spoke to SUK CS they had no record of a warranty request being put in for my car.  When I questioned that, the SUK CS lady said "oh, we don't have access to see that...." which was rather odd as she initially said "let me to check to see the state of the warranty claim from the dealer".  All rather fishy.

All the dealer customer service staff I spoke too seemed to actually be on my side, but obviously their hands were tied.

I managed to get a cambelt changed at the same time too, so I just paid £300 for the cambelt kit, but I figured it was worth doing it now as the labour was free (being covered by 'warranty').  I had a CityGo for a week so I added a good few miles to that (120/day) :-)

Edited by mbames

7 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Mine has now had the first instance of the temperature rising sharply, then almost immediately dropping back to normal. 

Looks like an argument to be had with skoda soon. 

Argue while it is still under warranty, so much easier!

On 29/04/2017 at 14:44, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

To me it sounds like the dealer hasn't even checked for goodwill from skoda uk or the factory and they are just planning to pocket 50% of the repair costs themselves regardless of what's on offer, you may well have 100% goodwill given the vehicles age and mileage but they earn more if they charge you personally as a retail customer. 

there is a TPI for this issue on the 1.6/2.0 Diesel engines and the 1.4 and it's been mentioned in the tech webinars from the last 2 years so they don't need to diagnose the fault and charge you £99 because it's a known issue and should be explored first before any other digging takes place. 

Even at full retail cost of 2.5 hours labour (£250?) plus the part (£150?) plus coolant (£20?) and VAT - that's still just over £500 and nowhere near £1000 as they are implying. 

The timing belt does not necessarily need replacing with the pump unless you wish to pay for the additional parts. 

Skoda customer services is ran by Capita in Leeds, nothing to do with SUK in Milton Keynes. The people you generally deal with are non technical prompt sheet readers, usually Leeds university students working part time (just like the DVSA in Swansea) who have little interest in helping you out and little enthusiasm to go the extra mile to resolve your issues. 

Thank you James this was really really helpful.

I had a another call with Skoda UK on Friday where I explained that I thought the cost vs the age was unacceptable, I want to stay with Skoda for my next car, etc etc. They said they would go away and discuss with the dealer.

Funny enough I've just heard in the last few minutes from the dealer that between Skoda and the dealership they are going to cover the full cost.

Thanks for the info on the TPI - if I can trouble you for a second longer if you have the number that would be great (just so I can mention the number specifically) but if not I will pay for eRWIN for an hour and try and find it, whilst the £99 is small fry it does sound like they shouldn't have needed to do this and it could have been confirmed perhaps during the service.

My advice for those who have posted saying theirs is suffering from the same is do not feel trapped in a corner by the dealer / Skoda UK and push back, I would say that I only pressed moderately hard on this and got a result, I was ready for a longer fight, turns out I've saved myself a few e-mails / letters! I decided not to have the cam belt done as it still has nearly 100,000 miles left according to the dealer on the phone today, and I would imagine I will be selling the car soon ish.

Cheers.