On ‎30‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 21:36, ployb said:

Just checked the skoda website, it lists a cambelt and water pump at £485 . So ill be looking for at least half that cost for a known common fault.

This seems like a fair going in point..

• Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 17:42, ployb said:

Mines booked in with skoda, 2014 with 32k on the clock. They have quoted £720 which is shocking, so ive told them i expect skoda to cover a good deal of that cost. A local indy has quoted me just over £350 for the same work. The dealer has told me the part is on back order so at present im driving very carefully with the heating on max!

"Parts on back-order" because of so many failing due to poor design, possibly?

On 01/10/2016 at 20:31, Wodge said:

can this be done under warranty?

Only if it fails during warranty. Despite being a very common problem it is not a recall item.

Saying that, Skoda should be flexible if the part fails just outside of warranty due to obvious design defect. 2013 & 2014 cars are particularly affected. Mine has had it's WP replaced twice.

edit: just realised I replied to the last post on the first page, rather than the last post - DOH!

Edited by Orville

Ok, it was my error it wasnt £720 it was £785!!!  :o

I asked them why so much, and also that the Skoda UK price is £485. After checking they said it would be done for £485. They have also said they will contact Skoda UK for me to see what else can be done to cover some cost as its lowish mileage and just out of warranty.

Booked in for Monday, so lets see how it goes. Do you think i should contact Skoda directly? Does anyone have any contact details they could share?

6 hours ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

Yes, phone skoda customer services now and get your case logged now. Also highlight the blatant attempt to overcharge you. 

Ditto from me for that - is it only me that finds it odd that the pricing "mistake" rarely (read never) is made on the low side. 

• Like 1

I have a 3 year old at 46k that I bought 6 months ago.  7 speed auto box.  Overheating, usual red lights, aircon turns off etc. From what I read the water pump that should heat the car up at start up (small volume of water) heats up as it should do, when it starts to boil the oil and water, electric thermostat which is part of the water pump should kick in and open main engine coolant reservoir once engine is nice and hot (protecting from cold start damage winter use). temp drops.  On a few models around 2013-1014 they were supplied with dodgy pumps that would stick in the startup mode (small water volume) and hence overheat as they would not open up when reached running temp.  Just had my car in to Guildford lookers this week and they took the car apart suspecting this.  Turned out it was this and they replaced the pump rollers etc FOC as under the approved 1 year warranty.  Bit of an upsell for them but yes they even offered me the option to replace the belt (not covered) for cost price as they were already in there anyway and labour would be covered FOC. common fault with 13/14 models

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had the water pump go on mine Wednesday 12 July at 47k miles.  My dealer has called me today, known issue but because of mileage and the fact it is 4 months out of warranty they will give me 50% goodwill so I need to pay £217.

Well after a quick call to Customer Services they have increased the offer from 50% to 70%, not bad for a quick phone call

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mk4gtiturbo said:

Well after a quick call to Customer Services they have increased the offer from 50% to 70%, not bad for a quick phone call

so how much do you have to pay now ?

Edited by themanwithnoaim

I've just had a water pump failure 4 months out of warranty and have got it in at a local independent to get sorted. They are having to wait 2 days as the pump and timing belt have to come direct from skoda . 

Total ballache, don't suppose there is any chance getting anything back from  skoda seeing as it's in a local independent garage? 

18 minutes ago, youngy said:

I've just had a water pump failure 4 months out of warranty and have got it in at a local independent to get sorted. They are having to wait 2 days as the pump and timing belt have to come direct from skoda . 

Total ballache, don't suppose there is any chance getting anything back from  skoda seeing as it's in a local independent garage? 

None whatsoever, unless you cancel the independent garage now and take it to a main dealer.

6 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

None whatsoever, unless you cancel the independent garage now and take it to a main dealer.

Expensive lesson learned but with my previous dealings with skoda I had expected f**k all. 

All my VAG cars have had expensive repairs just outside of warranty and will be avoiding in future 

my 2.0 150hp TDI is built around June 2016.How can I understand if it's potentially risky with this water pump?

I've read many people mention replacing belts, I was thinking 2.0.TDI has chain, or am I wrong?Or it's the belt where the pump is connected with the engine (?) or something else.

Does it produce any specific noise when idle that I can catch in advance? Or its just the opening/closing issue?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought a 2014 VRS diesel and having read things about possible water pump failures I was thinking that I'd probably just have to suck it up and spend £485 getting a new pump and cambelt fitted.

Having read this thread I might just pop down to my local dealer and mention that it's overheated intermittently and see if they'll do it at a better price as a goodwill claim as the car is about 5 months out of warranty and only done 34k miles. 

I'd be interested to know what the failure rate is (seems very high) as I have a 2014 vRS tdi presently under used approved warranty. I'm wondering whether it's if or when it fails,  I don't want to end up stranded or possibly overheating my motor, especially when the warranty expires. I think a quick call to the supplying dealer is in order to check the history.

I had the water pump on a previous superb 1.6CR changed under warranty as it was loosing water, that was quite common too I believe.

It's pretty common though not guaranteed to fail. On the up side, problems appear gradually so you might see an occasional brief overheat as it starts to stick, then normal operation resumes quickly. It's very unlikely to drop dead stranding you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, Dr Zoidberg said:

It's pretty common though not guaranteed to fail. On the up side, problems appear gradually so you might see an occasional brief overheat as it starts to stick, then normal operation resumes quickly. It's very unlikely to drop dead stranding you. 

Thanks for that, somewhat reassuring.

19 hours ago, Greenliner1 said:

I'd be interested to know what the failure rate is (seems very high) as I have a 2014 vRS tdi presently under used approved warranty. I'm wondering whether it's if or when it fails,  I don't want to end up stranded or possibly overheating my motor, especially when the warranty expires. I think a quick call to the supplying dealer is in order to check the history.

I had the water pump on a previous superb 1.6CR changed under warranty as it was loosing water, that was quite common too I believe.

Had mine done under approved used warranty, dealer didn't bat an eye lid, it only gave the waring once but after reading the previous comments I didn't want to find myself paying for it in the future. 

• Thanks 1

My 63  plate overheated without any warning at all, had the car recovered and pump and cambelt replaced. It is a known fault and the garage and Skoda UK made an offer of £400 ( £200 each) to the cost after much debte.

I had bought the car in Septemer 2016 with a 12 month warranty and as we live in France the UK dealer was aware that the car would be here. They tried to say that the warranty didnt cover it but I persisted and eventually they did make a payment.

I would say to anyone, speak with Skoda UK and dont let it go, it is a faut and should be acknowledged